At Last...! Commonsense is found....

weight based air travel..

41 to 60 of 60 messages
04/04/2013 at 03:57

i am not a parcel!

04/04/2013 at 08:11

Great plan and on the weight issue if you're big through eating or big through build, it doen't matter, it costs more to get you from A to B so pay up. Fair policy

seren nos    pirate
04/04/2013 at 08:20

isn't there a difference if the big person stays completely mtionless compared to them fidgetting around and walking up and down the plane....

it takes less ebnergy to transport something that uis completely still than something moving.....

so maybe they could charge according to how much someone moves...

04/04/2013 at 08:31

Sounds like a plan devised by a retard to be honest. Plus cost wise the cost of implementing it would be offset against any possible gains on income. Cost of weighing customers at check-in. Longer check-in times and staffing costs to add this. Refund/surcharge if weight is not as customer entered on booking.

That and fuel isn't that big a factor in the overall ticket cost. Go look at a breakdown of your last air fare. The primary cost impact is taxation. If the cost = weight * fuel metric was applied you'd be causing all sorts of extra delays and staffing issues for the sake of a few quid!

04/04/2013 at 09:20

If theyre going to charge based on weight, next time I fly I'll be asking them to rip out any unfilled seats, get rid of the TV's. Air hostesses; no thanks just do a buffet and who needs 3 people in the cockpit!

04/04/2013 at 09:32

Fuel * weight per passenger would be very minor in the overall ticket cost. Fuel * per passenger cost isn't a huge factor in the cost of a ticket. You'd be introducing a system that requires a massive financial overhead to implement. All it would do is increase ticket costs for all, no matter their weight.

1. A botched online check-in. You'd need to have a "people weight" system similar to baggage drop off system. That would cost in machines to calculate the fees. It would cost in staff to cover the volume of people having to do this. Remember the online check-in and baggage drop system was introduced as much for reducing staff costs at check-in as it is for passenger benefit. You've just increased the ticket price for all.

2. The system would only generate a few pounds at most per person in savings or extra fees if the cost was related to the cost of fuel.

3. The system introduces further passenger queues. Just what air travel needs. Save a fiver, wait an extra 45 minutes in queues!

4. Rebate/fee system. You book a ticket six months in advance and enter your weight. At check-in you weigh more or less. You have to wait and process the fee or rebate as appropriate. Once again lengthening check-in time or increasing staffing costs to get people through in a timely manner.

5. On return you'd need to be weighed again. Maybe you pigged out on your trip, or lost weight after a dose of Delhi belly!

6. It doesn't resolve the issue people here are complaining about of an obese person crushing into them, as it measures weight to cost not size to seat width.

It's a moronic idea with no practical application. The only application this serves is fatty bashing for idiots on the internet.

seren nos    pirate
04/04/2013 at 09:37

and you would get people stripping down to their undies and having an extra wee before weighing

04/04/2013 at 10:41

"It's a moronic idea with no practical application. The only application this serves is fatty bashing for idiots on the internet."

about the most sensible thing that's been said about this whole idea.   there are too many holes in the proposal for it to work but undoubtedly it will be tried and then put to rest.

04/04/2013 at 10:48

Nice bit of publicity for the airline concerned as well.

04/04/2013 at 10:51
fat buddha wrote (see)

"It's a moronic idea with no practical application. The only application this serves is fatty bashing for idiots on the internet."

about the most sensible thing that's been said about this whole idea.   there are too many holes in the proposal for it to work but undoubtedly it will be tried and then put to rest.

I agree (and I weigh about 70% of what I used to!)  Weighing people at airports like jockeys after a race?  Can't see it myself.

04/04/2013 at 11:13

Do you think they weigh you at the airport?

When I was on holiday in Indonesia a few years ago, the tiny little airlines with propeller planes had you jump on the scales with your luggage so they could calculate how much fuel they needed for the plane

04/04/2013 at 11:19

It doesn't seem fair unless they are going to give lighter people a partial refund on their ticket price. Like hairdressers that try to charge a supplement if you have long hair ... they don't have a reduced rate for people with short hair.

Blisters    pirate
04/04/2013 at 22:04

I fly little planes.

Too damn right you need to weigh your passengers and luggage, especially if you are going to be near the edges of the permitted limits. However, I don't do this every time. I calculate what the plane can take and where they must sit (that's important) so I have a ball park idea. I know that 4 big blokes in the plane means that I'll not be able to take 4 tanks full of fuel. I also know that a petite pilot flying solo will make the plane out of balance, (tail heavy/ nose light) but I don't have that problem.
The plane crash in Virginia, had three problems as reported. Over weight, tail heavy, and incorrectly rebuilt by maintenance. They found that any one of these problems would have been survivable, because engineers are always asked to design with factors of safety. All three? Toast.
I have flown a plane with the rigging all wrong and it's scary. I've seen a few overweight planes take off, and was glad I wasn't on board. The biggest one was a DC8 freighter out of Manchester. That must have been very very very close to a fireball.

Personally I am FULLY in favour of the motion as proposed.

Blisters    pirate
04/04/2013 at 22:05
the dude abides wrote (see)

i am not a parcel!

Correct Dude.

You are in fact known in the trade as SELF LOADING FREIGHT.

04/04/2013 at 23:06
Self loading freight. Like it
05/04/2013 at 10:19

I don't like flying anyway. I'm driving to Cornwall in a couple of weeks - naturally I'm dieting like crazy as petrol is getting really expensive!

05/04/2013 at 14:43

They wouldn't need to weigh anyone at the airport, a simple, cheap, weighing device linked to a cental control unit could be placed in every seat. It could weigh you at various times though out the flight to get an average, then as someone else pointed out they simply deduct this sum from your credit/debit card when you land. These units would soon recoup there initial cost given the volume of flights in the world.

Self checkin would still be valid, all you would need is a definite seat number, which would be linked to your bill, no extra staff needed. They would advertise the price of the flight per kilo or whatever at the point of sale so you know the cost, if you lie about your weight tough.

Dude.. airways are business, they're not trying to help you, you're just cattle, if you buy a joint of beef you pay by weight...

05/04/2013 at 17:07

This is my favourite overloaded take-off - the "vodka burner is rolling"

05/04/2013 at 17:27

It took me seven flights before I landed with the aircraft.

05/04/2013 at 19:49
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
Peter Everitt wrote (see)

I don't like flying anyway. I'm driving to Cornwall in a couple of weeks - naturally I'm dieting like crazy as petrol is getting really expensive!

Stick your car in neutral when going on long downhill runs.

Oh dear - rookie tightwad error! You keep the car in gear on downhills and take your foot off the accelerator - virtually no fuel used and much safer!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 60 of 60 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.