At what age did you let your childre have/will let your children have

these...

21 to 31 of 31 messages
31/03/2013 at 11:55

I see an advert where the subject declares "I'm addicted to my Iphone".

A situation in which the prospects on losing the phone do not look good.

I'm concerned in a way where gadgets and the like morph from 'handy' to 'important' to 'critical'. Especially where such things require a cash stream to maintain.

Children are being drawn into this 'dependancy' at an increasingly early age. Its not a question of whether having the 'things' are right or wrong but of developing a situation where you cannot exist without them.

Edited: 31/03/2013 at 11:56
31/03/2013 at 16:44

Not having kids, I've been trying to keep out of this thread but...

everytime I read the title I see 'At what age did you let your children have children'...

LIVERBIRD    pirate
01/04/2013 at 09:18

Removing eldest Miss LB's iphone is the swiftest way to get her attention and "encourage" her to fall back in line.

It's like corporal punishment with no belt

01/04/2013 at 09:32

an actual conversation with a 16 year old at work recently

"i dont know how you can run for 4 hours... how do you check your phone and stuff?" 

01/04/2013 at 10:33
Marc.S wrote (see)

an actual conversation with a 16 year old at work recently

"i dont know how you can run for 4 hours... how do you check your phone and stuff?" 

Sounds about right for some teenagers. Lol.

Dark Vader    pirate
01/04/2013 at 13:50

My children at the same age as kk (9 and almost 11)..    they both have a lap top but it has parental software that limits their time on the internet.  However, they can use Spotify, Skype and iTunes unlimited.   Neither has a phone but we will give the 11 yr old a phone this summer as she starts secondary school in September.  Only a very small number of her friends have a phone and thus there isn't any peer pressure to get one but it does seem that going to secondary school seems to be the age to get one.  I have a spare iPhone 4 that she can have and she is pleased with that and actually said that she didn't want anything old and embarassing...!

Neither has a tv in their room and we wouldn't allow it either.   Both can watch tv programmes on the lap top in their room but the time comes out of their daily internet allowance and so they tend not to.

FB, Twitter etc..   neither of them are interested in it yet..

01/04/2013 at 14:04

I fretted more over TV for their bedrooms than I have done over internet access or phones.

however I'm not one to force them out of bed on a saturday morning, pj's til lunchtime is fine by me so if the younger one wants to watch saturday morning tv from under his duvet thats ok.  but there is no tv after bedtime at night.  I dont have a tv in my bedroom. generally tv viewing is done together, its more fun that way.

02/04/2013 at 09:00

mine are 11 & 15, both have phones, youngest hardly ever uses it, only if she's at swimming/athletics meets without one of us and wants to tell us how she is getting on. Eldest has laptop for schoolwork (amongst other things), youngest has use of either mine or the wife's. No tablets or iphones in this house, and just the one TV (in the lounge).

Interesting that Rickster wrote "They shouldn't even need a mobile if they are under 16. We managed perfectly well without them."
When I was under 16, I agree I managed without one. Similarly my parents, teachers, football & athletics team manager and all adults I knew all managed without a mobile phone, ipad, laptop, home computer, gps, garmin & the internet etc. 
I assume Rickster that you too now manage without any of those?

I do despiar though with the constant checking up on phones...I find it incredibly rude when out with colleagues/business people/friends when they plonk a couple of phones down and are checking it every minute or so. Get a life.

Edited: 02/04/2013 at 09:03
LIVERBIRD    pirate
02/04/2013 at 09:31

I'm guilty of it Dustin! It takes a monumental effort on my part not to check my phone when I'm out. But I'm telling myself it's rude and I'm trying to be better. Nobody ever seems to complain though.

Tommygun2    pirate
02/04/2013 at 10:14

My two 10 & 13 have phones and TVs and Internet access but strangely they don't abuse these things. I upgraded their TVs to flat screen ones but now wish I had saved my money as neither of them watch TV in their rooms. It seems that they would rather subject me with the Disney drivel they watch. My son is a confirmed geek and only goes on the Internet to do his home work or play an online game that looks to more technical than fun.

My daughter has made about 15 phone calls in the year she has had the phone(mostly to me) quite a few text, that we do monitor, so again expensive smart phone waste of money. My boy doesn't text or call anyone but love his iPhone for the games.....oh and he has had a phone since leaving primary school as he has asspergers and suffers terribly with anxiety.

Neither have or seem to want FB accounts...yet

03/04/2013 at 12:03
Managing without these things in 'the good old days' (as I did) doesn't mean there's no place for them now. It's a ridiculous statement to make.

We did without most things in society at some point in history, should we halt progress completely?

Tech is here to stay and is only going to get bigger and better, embrace it and accept that it's human nature to develop, evolve and improve.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.