At what age did you let your childre have/will let your children have

these...

1 to 20 of 36 messages
kittenkat    pirate
30/03/2013 at 13:17

mobile phone, tv in bedroom, email account, facebook account, twitter account etc...

kittenkat    pirate
30/03/2013 at 13:18

and at what age will you teach yourself to spell correctly.

V4D
30/03/2013 at 13:44

TV in their room - about 10 years old but we were strict about going in and turning it off in the evenings.

They had mobile phones when they started secondary school as they have to bus to school and facebook/email etc at 12/13 ish. It's fairly hard to hold out on stuff when children I work with (age 4/5 - reception) are sometimes already carrying mobiles and lots have facebook that young.

kittenkat    pirate
30/03/2013 at 13:50
V4D wrote (see)

TV in their room - about 10 years old but we were strict about going in and turning it off in the evenings.

They had mobile phones when they started secondary school as they have to bus to school and facebook/email etc at 12/13 ish. It's fairly hard to hold out on stuff when children I work with (age 4/5 - reception) are sometimes already carrying mobiles and lots have facebook that young.

I caved in and let my girls have a tv in their room a few years ago, but like you we are strict about the usage. Thing 1 is going to Secondary school in Sept, we said we'd let her have a mobile in the summer before her school move, but it's her 11th birthday next week so we're considering bringing it forward. I'll be honest I want her to have a phone solely that I know I'll be able to contact her. She will have a fairly long bus journey to school, it'll all be a big change for her and I feel protective

kittenkat    pirate
30/03/2013 at 13:51

I will hold off with FB as long as I can!

30/03/2013 at 14:21

Tv in room - not happening... ever..... but they do have their own sitting room so use that for privacy - disney etc.

mobiles - when they started doing after school clubs so that I knew when to come get them - so about 10.  

Fb - my son wants nothing to do with it - but he has skype and xbox accounts where the entire male under 14 population of the village seem to virtual meet up at 6 am every morning.... my son is a nerd and proud of it.

I can only assume it depends on the child.  My daughter is naive (but is only 10) but my son at 13 is awfully sensible and tells us stuff that quite frankly I would have died rather than shared with my parents - so I trust him with a lot more than I thought I would have.

Edited: 30/03/2013 at 14:23
30/03/2013 at 14:39

My lad has a TV in his room that he uses to play some 'X box account game' on but beyond that doesn't bother much with TV.

Doesn't have a mobile, email account or bother with Facebook and Twitter (no phone anyway).

A load of hassle he can do without it would appear. He's 16.

30/03/2013 at 14:49
TV in room no, never. Mobile when eldest went to secondary school (she spent the whole of year 7 reminding us that she was one of only 2 in her year group without one). They get email at school anyway, and although we said no to Hotmail/yahoo and FB she went ahead and joined up anyway.

These things have become part of daily life soo quickly. I work at a university and when I started there 10 years ago it was clear that mobiles and laptops were the big 18th/21st/going off to Uni. pressies. Now primary school kids are running around with iPhones.
30/03/2013 at 15:02

They shouldn't even need a mobile if they are under 16. We managed perfectly well without them.

Television in their room at 13.

Also, up to the age of 14 Facebook use should be monitored by parents. No parent around to supervise it = no Facebook use.

kittenkat    pirate
30/03/2013 at 16:43
Rickster wrote (see)

They shouldn't even need a mobile if they are under 16. We managed perfectly well without them.

Television in their room at 13.

Also, up to the age of 14 Facebook use should be monitored by parents. No parent around to supervise it = no Facebook use.

I'm guessing you don't have kids, right? My mum did without 5p for the phone box...

Edited: 30/03/2013 at 16:44
30/03/2013 at 16:52
No internet access in their room until they're 16.
30/03/2013 at 16:54
Rickster wrote (see)

Rickster, it sounds like you have issues with mobiles for your kids?  I guess we could manage without but I see them as a positive rather than a negative.

30/03/2013 at 17:44

No, I don't have any, but why do they need a mobile all of a sudden? Sounds like parent paranoia to me.

30/03/2013 at 17:51

Eldest got a phone for 12th birthday, youngest two are 11 and neither have them but if they want them they can have them for a birthday or xmas.  

One of youngest has a TV in room but he uses it more for his raspberry computer thingy than watching TV.   Eldest (14) watches TV on her laptop which her gran bought her when she started 2ndary.   She got a facebook account at same time, youngest two don't but they've never asked for one.   They do have ipod touches and the boy youngest uses skype a lot to talk to his cousin - suppose that is unsupervised internet access but then we used to hang out on the local rec til after dark at 11 so I doubt it's any more dangerous than stuff we did.   

Twitter - don't think any have asked - not really sure what it is really as I don't use it.  Eldest has a blog and youtube account with 3 of her mates which they put fashion videos on - not really totally happy with it but they all seem responsible and when I say what if people leave nasty comments she just laughs so I let her get on with it.   

30/03/2013 at 17:53
Rickster wrote (see)

No, I don't have any, but why do they need a mobile all of a sudden? Sounds like parent paranoia to me.

The same reason anyone else needs one - to keep in touch with people when they are out and about - but also to take photos and post them onto their facebook page, check the internet, listen to music etc.    It's not a case of why do they need them more why shouldn't they have them ? 

30/03/2013 at 17:57

@rickster....  not necessarily parent paranoia - more like it just makes my life easier.

i.e  Text to son 'I'm out running - walk home - will pick you up when I finish'.

His school is 2 miles away and he is perfectly capable (and does) walk it but likes a lift if I am around - if I text him, he gets it when he finishes school and turns his phone back on and knows not to phone me repeatedly trying to get a lift.

My daughter is a total bubble head - never tells me what she is doing - she walks home from school and will occasionally not appear.  She can text me, 'at hockey' or whatever and I stop worrying, wandering up to the school to find her.

All very practical and it allows me to give my kids more freedom.

30/03/2013 at 18:09

I was sat attempting to chat to this guy at a golf club one afternoon (we were waiting for our kids to finish, golf's cheap at kid prices) and he had three (3) Blackberries on the go at once. Not one moment passed without some message or something. He reckoned it was pretty well 24/7, but he had no choice. 

I had the feeling he was at his wits end.

I guess there's a few kids out there who also think that they have 'no choice'.

30/03/2013 at 20:10

my son has never had a tv in his room, but he does have a PC so he can watch tv on that, he's 12 and had a phone since he was 10, just a cheapo thing until recently, just to keep in his pocket when he was out playing, so i can get hold of him, 

he started secondary school this past sept, so he got a better one for that since he travels 2 miles on the bus and stays till 5 every day doing after school club, i like to have contact with him, and vice versa 

He has a Facebook, but i do keep an occasional eye on things, 

Edited: 30/03/2013 at 20:12
30/03/2013 at 20:26
popsider wrote (see)
Rickster wrote (see)

The same reason anyone else needs one - to keep in touch with people when they are out and about - but also to take photos and post them onto their facebook page, check the internet, listen to music etc.    It's not a case of why do they need them more why shouldn't they have them ? 

absolutely agree with what popsider says. 

30/03/2013 at 22:03
GymAddict wrote (see)

my son at 13 is awfully sensible and tells us stuff that quite frankly I would have died rather than shared with my parents - so I trust him with a lot more than I thought I would have.

my girls are 11 and 16, i have always said to them they can tell me anything and my god they do  lol they make me laugh , i would never have told  y mum stuff like  what they share with me. 

my 16 yr old has a TV with sky multi room, and xbox with Internet account and her own lap top , however she got the tv  at 15, she was allowed a phone when she started yr 7 - and had FB then, it was quite new, i monitored it a lot then, now she hates FB, spends most her time gaming or watching dvds

my 11 yr old has no phone, no TV , no internet unless i am home , she can have a phone ready for yr 7, (this sep) shes not having FB either, she has an ipod touch she has lots of games on and face times her friends using the home network 

the easiest form of punishment is me changing the PW for the wifi 

i am not super strict , i  just dont see the point in young children having too many gadgets, primary school kids should be out playing , getting muddy and doing activities/sports  , i encourage/d mine to stay young for as long as possible before going up to 'big' school 

1 to 20 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.