Back into the lions den, Daniel

or heigh ho, its back to work we go

9 messages
11/09/2002 at 11:05
Yep, I can run again. Right? Yep? so I'm OK, and people who are ok can go back to work, yep?

Well we'll try it. I'm signed up to give a postgraduate course (in maths) this term. It's an experiment to see if I can: I lost a lot more than the use of my legs, and this little experiment is to see if I am now too stupid to look for a job as a mathematician.

It is actually terrifying. I left the place under a cloud (I think that is the correct euphamism) tried to go back a few times while I was on sticks, panicked badly. It's a pretty cutthroat place. But if I'm ever going to work as a mathematician, gotta get back there and just do it.

So it's now. I got my legs back, didn't I? So I can get the rest back too, no? yes? Guess I'll find out soon.

And keep on running - saves lives in all sorts of senses of the word!
11/09/2002 at 12:30
I hope your return to work goes smoothly, Marj. Despite health legislation, employers can be b*ggers when you're ill. But you'll never know if you don't try, and if you don't try you'll always wish you had.

Best wishes, V-rap.
11/09/2002 at 12:31
Best of luck Marj.
11/09/2002 at 13:20
Good luck Stickless. I was very moved by your response to the When did you become a runner thread (kind of know where you are coming from because of personal experience of a close friend). I have just seen the point of your name -n stupid badger - t hought it was something to do with sticklebacks before. Anyway just wanted to say that if you do maths/teach as well as you write then you will have no problems at all. Take it one step at a time!
BK
11/09/2002 at 13:38
Hope it goes well Marj and thanks for your previous support
11/09/2002 at 13:44
Excellent stuff - is it an MSc or a PhD? It will be nice to have some fellow postgraduate company on these forums!
11/09/2002 at 13:48
Like the Badger, I only read this morning about where the Stickless name comes from. I thought it was some sort of allusion to being thin as Posh. How wrong!

Good luck
Ratbag    pirate
11/09/2002 at 14:35
Hello Marj,

Best of luck with the job.

With your attitude and detrmination, I'm sure you'll succeed.

All the best,

RB
11/09/2002 at 16:24
Best of luck Stickless, you make me feel guilty if I don't go for a run just because I don't feel like, so please keep posting,

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.