Baked Beans

The most oddest things to have them with

1 to 20 of 35 messages
16/02/2012 at 13:09
I've totally fallen in love with baked beans. It's been a long developing relationship with them
I've been in this country for almost a decade. I didn't like them at first, then I thought they were OK with certain things.
Then I discovered they taste amazing with Jacket Potato and cheese.
...But I never really got the idea of beans on toast... and now I go crazy if I don't get my beans on toast!

The question is, what do YOU have yours with? Have you got any odd combinations to suggest?

My friend loves jacket with tuna and beans and THAT does sound disgusting to me.... but I'm still tempted to try!

16/02/2012 at 13:12

I baked beans. The cheese and beans combination is my favourite, not too sure about beans and tuna although it's worth a try!

When I make a shepherd's pie I'll often bung a can of baked beans in. The starch from the beans seems to give it a lovely creamy texture

16/02/2012 at 13:12
Beans on toast with a dollop of Brinjal pickle stirred in
16/02/2012 at 14:09
Beans on toast moves from a convenient snack to a gourmet sensation if you put Marmite on the bread and grate cheese on the top.   The marmite really sets the beans off to perfection. 
16/02/2012 at 14:22
Where's a 'like' button when you need one?
16/02/2012 at 14:33

beans are brill !

Beans and scrambled eggs on toast !

16/02/2012 at 14:52
Jacket potato, baked beans, grated cheese, big dollop of Hellman's light mayo on the top - all mashed up together it's  seriously yum
16/02/2012 at 15:08
Jacket potato with cheese and beans is a lovely combination but when you add coleslaw to the mix it turns in to a taste sensation!!!
16/02/2012 at 16:00
with sausage and mashed potato - they mix in with the mash very nicely!
16/02/2012 at 16:05
mathschick wrote (see)
with sausage and mashed potato - they mix in with the mash very nicely!

Sausage mash and beans (with lots of ketchup) is truly the food of the Gods  
16/02/2012 at 16:11

My ex used to have beans with breaded fish (fair enough) and mashed potato.  Now don't get me wrong, I love a baked tattie with beans & cheese or if I'm having an egg & chips day (which hasn't happened in about 10 years) you have to have beans really.  But with mash?  

I made a recipe called Boston Baked Beans the other day.  Now they were flippin good.

16/02/2012 at 16:12
My absolute go to food when I'm on my own and need to eat is a baked bean, cheddar cheese and crisp butty !!  (any flavour crisp will do, whatever kids have left ,but if theres a choice Prawn Cocktail add a nice tang!)
16/02/2012 at 16:52

Chips, beans, cheese - all piled up together

Or - sausage and bean hotpot - caramelise a couple of onions and perhaps some mushrooms, cook sausages then cout the sausages up, mixed with the onions and a tin or two of beans (depends how many people you have), bake in the oven and serve - with cheese on the top if you like, or a bit of salad and mash if you're really greedy.  Add a little mustard to the beans.

16/02/2012 at 17:21

Baked beans. My sisters loved them and I found myself cooking with baked beans rather a lot.

As has been mentioned, Shepherds or Cottage pie. Also chili, in fact any slow cooked mince dish. With bangers or fish fingers. (again 2 food stuffs I dislike). Mixed bean casserole.

Strange meal ccoked for me, philadelphia, mushrooms, onions and baked beans served with garlic bread.

16/02/2012 at 17:27

Beans on cheese on toast. Oh yes. With a good smear of mild mustard on the toast, and a shake of Worcester sauce on the beans. Bliss.

If I have time - soften a diced onion and maybe some crushed garlic too, then add one tin of beans with a good dollop of curry sauce or spoonful of curry powder. Excellent.

(My favourite curry sauce is tarka - like tikka, just a little 'otter)

16/02/2012 at 20:46
sarah the bookworm wrote (see)
Where's a 'like' button when you need one?

I've been thinking that a lot recently Wormy.

I'm going to bookmark this thread.  Although I don't eat baked beans very often, I like them when I do and usually add chilli powder or fresh chillies + some ground cumin and coriander.  I like the Marmite suggestion but then I also like Big Foot's extravaganza ... and most of the other suggestions (inc beans and tuna).  God I'm hungry now ...

Edited: 16/02/2012 at 20:47
16/02/2012 at 20:48
I baked beans cold, straight out of the can
16/02/2012 at 21:00
Me too Saffy, particularly when camping.
16/02/2012 at 21:02
Oh and when I was a kid in Scotland, we had the wee shell pies with mince in the bottom, then a layer of baked beans and mashed potato.  After I became a vegetarian, I ate the ones with just beans and tatties in them.  The vege version's not easy to find now.
16/02/2012 at 23:00
Muttley wrote (see)

Beans on cheese on toast. Oh yes. With a good smear of mild mustard on the toast, and a shake of Worcester sauce on the beans. Bliss.

If I have time - soften a diced onion and maybe some crushed garlic too, then add one tin of beans with a good dollop of curry sauce or spoonful of curry powder. Excellent.

(My favourite curry sauce is tarka - like tikka, just a little 'otter)

Cheesy, oniony, garlicky beans on buttered toast. Food of the gods! And with those wee pies before I became veggie too!
1 to 20 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.