47mins.feeling ok and the knee held up
but still a few twings walking up hills
will rest mon/tues then back to training
rest of week with a long run at the weekend
as no race planned.
rather cold here today.
24/09/2003 at 22:57
hi ken,
good time again for the 10k---- don`t know what`s happening to me --- have now got a pulled Achilles ---- my body is falling to bits--- but at last have found a good physio--she has fixed my left leg and hip, so now i only need the right side done--- definitely no more football for me --- are you still on for the Dublin marathon? My last run was on Sat --- 8 miles and felt ok but it was so slow --- physio reckons that in trying to protect my right hip i have stressed the Achilles--- just can`t win ---take care of the knee
kg
25/09/2003 at 09:30
jimimac
went for a run yesterday and must have done
something to my knee,it is very painful
walking up or down stairs.
ill rest it for a couple of days maybe apply ice although there is no swelling
and things were going ok for DUBLIN.just have to wait and see.
25/09/2003 at 21:24
Hi kg
fully sympathise with you--- did the pain start during the run?? Maybe you are doing too much work on hard surfaces or possibly the shoes are knackered. It`s that difficult to pinpoint a reason and often it`s a combination of several little things.
Do the sensible thing i.e rest and ice with possibly a really good sports massage--- it seems to be working for me, albeit very slowly. A week off at this stage won`t be detrimental to the Dublin race. Take it easy
kg
06/10/2003 at 16:26
jimimac
ran a 10k in DENNY on sunday with a time of 45min leg felt ok, but sore today.
trained for 4 days last week and sometime
the pain was at the start then faded and
then again sometime during the run, but it never stopped me from running.
will try for a long steady run at the
weekend.
hope thing are ok with you?
09/10/2003 at 16:31
Hi kg,
am not surprised your leg is sore after a 45 min 10k. Usually takes about a week to recover fully after a fast run like that. Good fast time--- shows you`re on target for Dublin. I see they have changed the course again due to roadworks--- basically it has been reversed which means that the horrible hill at 19 miles is now a lovely downhill at around 6-7 miles.I wish i was fit enough to enter. If the weather is good and you stay injury free you could get a PB here.Keep at it.
kg
13/10/2003 at 09:52
jimimac
thanks for the words of encouragement but
ran training run of around 5 mile on saturday and my knee was painful and sore
on the sat night has eased of now but what
to do should i try for some more training runs or should i wait untill DUBLIN and see
how it goes.
13/10/2003 at 22:28
kg,
do the classic RICE --- would be awful to miss the main race --- my physio recommends icing for ten mins every hour, immediately followed by application of a hot water bottle. The theory is that the heat rushes in and flushes out all the toxins --- it seems to work for Paula Radcliffe. Bear in mind that any training after 17th Oct will have no bearing on your fitness for the Marathon, so take it very easy---- good luck
I have managed 4x5 miles for the last 2 wks but am still sore after each run. Hopefully I am on the mend
kg
22/10/2003 at 08:20
jimimac+
went for a run last thursday 8miles ,knee
felt not to bad then a 14mile on sat.and
I could feel my left thigh getting tight,
Im sure it was trying to compensate for
my right knee.
No more running until the race then see
how it goes. Will let you know how I get on.
24/10/2003 at 15:39
hi kg,
all you can do now is to take it easy until the race.With a bit of luck the knee will hold up. I haven`t had a run for almost 2 weeks now --- have got a chest infection. have not been right since Barcelona.Still, we have to put up with these niggles. Best wishes for Dublin and I wish I could be running also. When i get better I am going to go on a very slow training build-up aiming for Barcelona 2004.
kg
24/10/2003 at 20:30
jimimac
thank for the wishes have now got a slight
cold present fron the wife
all packed and will keep taking lemsip for
this throat right up to the race.
will let you know how i get on next week,
there would appear to be a few formulite
members going.
kg
30/10/2003 at 00:30
jimimac
well my time for the marathon was 4.35
the day was fine but very cold,I took it
easy for the first 2mile (20mis) the upped the pace as my knee was ok, then my thighs
started to hurt at around 20mies and it was all downhill from there walked then ran with 2mile to go, with my knee going on
the hill towards the finish but managed
to cross the line running .
great crowds there especially the americans with there cheering.
there is nothing untll next year have applied for LONDON will wait and see.
30/10/2003 at 15:22
Hi kg,
Well done. Glad your knee held out and hope you haven`t damaged it. You won`t know for about 10 days until you get the marathon out of your system.
Am still struggling. Did 5m on tues and wed and not too bad. Have started a self massage and stretching routine, which seems to be working.
Well done again and wish I had been there.
08/11/2003 at 00:10
Hi kg
how is your knee now?? Hope it`s returning to normal. Am injured again!! My knee this time -- it`s sore going down stairs but ok going up. It`s just not my year.Have you done London before? I never think about entering for London. I think that the crowds would put me off.Get well soon
kg
14/11/2003 at 14:55
jimimac
still havent been out training yet.
knee still sore on occasions ,maybe try
training next week ,no info on the london marathon others have received theirs ,looks
like im not in this year.
i ll have to think of a new marathon abroad
next year.
hope things are going well with you
14/11/2003 at 23:45
Hi kg,
bad luck on the London entry. I would love to do the Rome marathon, but the way things are going with injuries I am starting to despair a bit. Managed 3x 5 mile runs this week and each time suffered afterwards, although while running it was ok. am going tomorrow to get a free gait analysis, which might point out something shoe-wise.Have tried lightweights,stability and motion control shoes but still have the hip pains after a run. Maybe it`s just age. Am going to run a 10k race on sat week aand give it all. If I cant get under 48 mins I will consider giving up racing and just do jogging. Hope your knee is on the mend
kg
10/02/2004 at 10:31
jimimac
how are you long time no hear
ran my first 10k last month at 48min,knee
still hurting but keep training whenever possible,snow and torrential rain here.
hope things are better for you.
14/02/2004 at 05:25
hi kg,
good to hear from you. Am still running but still hip pain. Am only doing around 20-25 miles a week. Did a 10k in 47mins but was totally wrecked for a week afterwards.Am not motivated enough to run outdoors so all runs are on treadmill --very boring. Am hoping to run the Larne 1/2 mara on 13th Mar and trying to get in shape for it. Have you seen anyone about the knee. It`s been about 4 mnths since you first injured it.
Any marathon plans for this year?
kg
16/02/2004 at 19:20
jimimac
no i havnt seen anyone about my knee, the
pain comes and goes. will be trying a 10k and1/2 marathon in march.
thinking about the CONNEMARA MARATHON end
of march ? then BLACKPOOL in june.
was out for an 1.15 on friday and 1.30 on
sunday ,knee felt ok during the run but
sore next day, so only running every 2days.
21/02/2004 at 00:29
hi kg,
would love to do the Connemarathon after reading all the forumites reports last year but sadly i would not be fit enough. Am considering the 1/2 marathon but would feel such a wimp watching everyone doing the full race. Am very interested in the Blackpool race as i might get fit enough for June. The last run i have done above 10k was a 1/2 mara last June. Am tempted to try a 12 mile run on Sunday. Have finally got an appointment with an ortho consultant and am going to insist on a scan to see just what is wrong. It could be something simple. The worst is not knowing and wondering if training is making it worse. Would advise you to see about the knee
81 to 100 of 121 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.