Beeping at women runners

21 to 36 of 36 messages
21/02/2012 at 15:25

Nope, didn't see the moaning...perfectly allowed to be concerned as to your wife's safety...I think it's in the small print of the marriage contract

I would recommend a personal alarm though if her routes take her on less well lit areas/less safe areas. The ila alarms are brilliant, and not hugely pricey either.

Gyraffe    pirate
21/02/2012 at 15:36

Doesn't it all depend on your general mood and outlook - if you're feeling chirpy the beeps are encouragement - probably from a neighbour who recognises you. If you're tired and having a bad hair day it's almost certainly car load of bullies looking for an excuse to get violent.

21/02/2012 at 15:36
Keep in mind that, although they seem to be reported quite often, physical attacks are extremely rare. There's a big step from shouting or beeping at a runner to taking them on in a scuffle.
21/02/2012 at 15:45
On a more general issue, I've on occasion gesticulated at other drivers for doing stupid things, but most of the time now I feel my life is more important than letting them know they've been stupid. I think the tipping point was when a car behind beeped when we were at some red lights. My wife was driving, but from the passenger seat I made a non-rude gesture at the driver - kind of shrugging my shoulders as if to say 'what?' The car pulled onto the other side of the road and the passenger wound down the window and chucked a full can of coke at the driver's window - which, thankfully, was not open. Terrible waste of coke, of course, but the interesting point was that both driver and passenger were 20-something women. The world is full of arseholes of both genders.
21/02/2012 at 17:43
I had to tell my nephew last week about the "bus stop wankers" story. He was leaning about my car window and shouting. Didn't want any bus stop wankers grabbing my throat at the traffic lights.
OW
21/02/2012 at 21:14
Johnny Blaze wrote (see)
It's a symptom of the phallocentric hegemony.
Is that the same as willy waving?  because I reckon beeping at female runners, is just that.
OW
21/02/2012 at 21:25

Warkie

hi mate

doubt you know me, but i'd try and rise above it all personally, as long as no harm was done

keep wel lalways

Mick

22/02/2012 at 07:11

Cheers for the messages ..i am pretty well chilled most of the time and glad to hear most of the women runners are not bothered by it that much

The pesonal alarm is a good idea .. 

Now all of you women out there wolf whistling at me when i am running past ........

22/02/2012 at 08:21
If I was able to wolf whistle then I am sure you would be worth whistling at Warkie
22/02/2012 at 09:04

I don't agree that personal alarms are a good idea. Set one off one day and see how many people pay attention. Even yelling Fire fire or something like that would get more attention.

FWIW, attackers generally normally target for vulnerable women ie with their arms full, distracted for some reason etc and not a woman who is running and therefore would have a greater chance of escape. If your wifeis concerned about her safety at other times, something like a defence spray would be far more effective at helping her escape. Knowing some basic self-defense moves, how to use her keys etc to defend herself may also improve her confidence.

Edited: 22/02/2012 at 09:31
22/02/2012 at 09:23

It is true that I once set a personal alarm off by accident at work and not a single person came running.  In fact, when questioned everyone said that they thought they had heard something...

We were given the alarms as the job was quite physically hazardous and we often worked on our own.  The idea of the alarm was that if you got into trouble then you could summon help from people in neighbouring areas so people should have been listening out for these alarms.

22/02/2012 at 10:52
Little Ninja wrote (see)

I don't agree that personal alarms are a good idea. Set one off one day and see how many people pay attention. Even yelling Fire fire or something like that would get more attention.

FWIW, attackers generally normally target for vulnerable women ie with their arms full, distracted for some reason etc and not a woman who is running and therefore would have a greater chance of escape. If your wifeis concerned about her safety at other times, something like a defence spray would be far more effective at helping her escape. Knowing some basic self-defense moves, how to use her keys etc to defend herself may also improve her confidence.

Are the defence sprays legal? I know Mace isn't...I know...legal or safe but not sure carrying something that could be more problematic is the answer...

Totally agree the SD classes/moves are a good idea. I walk home from work in possibly the safest town on earth and have my keys in my hands in a way I know would protect me should the worst happen.

22/02/2012 at 11:04
At my age and considering I have a face like a slapped arse when I run, I'm flattered!

Doesn't happen often though
seren nos yn canu    pirate
22/02/2012 at 11:11
when I get certain remarks from young lads.it does make me smile......if I had my hat off and they could see me up close they would be mortified that they had make such remarks to someone old enough to be their mother and then some
22/02/2012 at 11:15

Slightly off topic.....

Cycling home from work i saw lady runner a little way ahead of me and she had the most perfect arse. I never said a word and just kep on cycling.

Back to topic - it is not only car drivers and occupants shouting abuse but folk on pavements do the same when i refuse to move into the road.  Why should I?   Have they not heard of single file?  Mind you the fat tub of lard i saw on sunday gave me no choice..............  I could not hold my tongue and made a rude comment.

22/02/2012 at 13:26
SuperCaz wrote (see)
If I was able to wolf whistle then I am sure you would be worth whistling at Warkie
Sorry I am a bit of a let down in real life...
But in my over imaginative other life i look liek George Clooneys better looking younger brother ..

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.