Believing in God

or not

221 to 240 of 252 messages
15/10/2012 at 17:03

Intermanaut – To expand  the way I see it morality is not black and white and its subjective. It means different things to different people. It is a human and evolutionary construct not something that has absolute meaning. If morality were absolute then it would have meaning that exists across all of time and space. Lets postulate the Universe as it were moments after the big bang. Can we really say our ideas of good and evil had meaning at this point? Essentially morality boils down to things we approve of and things we don’t. If we accept free will there is no reason that someone considered ‘good’ could not commit an act considered ‘evil’.

15/10/2012 at 17:04

Mr Viper wrote (see)

Phil – Do you think we can ever prove that something doesn’t exist?  

My head hurts!  On the face of it I think the simple answer is, no we can't.  I don't think we've got the capacity to have knowledge of everything, and I think it logically follows that we can't know for sure that something doesn't exist, because it doesn't fall within the realm of what would need to be our perfect knowledge of the universe. 

On the other hand, I suppose you could say beyond reasonable doubt that certain things don't exist if, for example, what you're talking about can't have the properties ascribed to it if those properties are incompatible.  Like most people's versions of God. 

15/10/2012 at 17:43

I don't believe in God but having said that, I do still tend to behave myself, just in case.

15/10/2012 at 18:29

If the god of any of the current religions is real - behaving yourself won't be good enough - just saying 

15/10/2012 at 18:42

Hmm, any examples of mis-behavior I might have to get to grips with?

15/10/2012 at 19:40

Colin McLaughlin

You're idea of a god is very different to mine, to me a god is an immaculate infallible being, what you're describing is a god made in our image, not the other way around.

As for aliens, I completely agree with Phil, chances are they are out there somewhere, as for higher intelligences, many believe that's exactly what gods are, aliens who've somehow managed to visit.

Do aliens exist? Sounds like a new thread for KK!

15/10/2012 at 19:55

No, QED.

15/10/2012 at 20:37
lardarse wrote (see)

Colin McLaughlin, Your idea of a god is very different to mine, to me a god is an immaculate infallible being, what you're describing is a god made in our image, not the other way around.

I don't have any idea of a "god". I think you must be confusing what I said to refute someone's argument with me having an opinion of how I think a god actually would be if there were one.

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 20:38
16/10/2012 at 08:58

Mr Viper - I could say because of "answered" prayer, but then again there's always plenty of "unanswered" prayer. Of course it depends on what you mean by answered or unanswered and whether it's just coincidence or not. But also I would say that I believe in God because I feel or sense his presence, sometimes in an overwhelming way, and because as I talk to him and read the Bible I believe he communicates with me. And perhaps mostly becuase of the way he has changed me in the way that I think and behave and healed me from things that have caused me pain.

16/10/2012 at 10:55

Gul Darr, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that prayer has any effect on anything at all - scientific studies have shown this, yet even on a basic level it's obvious. Do religious people suffer less pain and suffering in their lives despite many of them spending hours of their lives praying? Do fewer bad things happen to religious people? Of course not. It's a lottery. Of course if you pray for enough things to happen then some of them will by the law of averages. If you call that "answered" prayer and it makes you feel happy then good for you, but it's a completely illogical argument for the existence of god.

16/10/2012 at 11:04

Hi Daren,
I wasn't suggesting that it is proof of the existence of God rather that certain things that have happened as or after I or other people have prayed are some of the reasons that I believe in God. BTW Congrats on the sub 90 at Peterbrough!

16/10/2012 at 11:10

Thanks!

16/10/2012 at 11:45

Could have been a sub 85 though if you'd prayed, Daren.

Edited: 16/10/2012 at 11:45
16/10/2012 at 12:26

May God strike you down you blasphemer...

16/10/2012 at 13:34
carterusm wrote (see)

May God strike you down you blasphemer...

Don't hold your breath, last time I heard he was sorting out some shit on planet Zorg.

16/10/2012 at 13:37

surely everybody knows that prayers operate like the public vote system on X factor. If your gran dies or your sister doesn't get that job she really wants it's because not enough people prayed. Similar to the way "likes" work on facebook. Like this link and this kitten will live. It's a simple causal relationship.  

16/10/2012 at 13:39

So, if PhilPub never posts another message on here, could there be an argument that he has indeed be struck down by God ??

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
16/10/2012 at 15:35

What always puzzles me is how come if God made Man and all the animals he didn't give us all the ability to ingest food and just "disappear" the waste instead of having to crap it all out of our rear ends? Or was it a cosmic joke?

16/10/2012 at 16:43

Maybe God made a mistake with making something in his image and was really a giant housefly. We'd be buggered then.

16/10/2012 at 20:44
Bionic Ironwolf wrote (see)

What always puzzles me is how come if God made Man and all the animals he didn't give us all the ability to ingest food and just "disappear" the waste instead of having to crap it all out of our rear ends? Or was it a cosmic joke?

Since matter can neither be created nor destroyed, we'd get bigger and bigger. Then we'd explode.

Food consists of (a) the really useful stuff we keep in us, and (b) the rest. The rest, we have to crap out of our rear ends.

Crapping is a logical way of doing things and is in no way ungodworthy.

221 to 240 of 252 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.