Believing in God

or not

221 to 240 of 265 messages
15/10/2012 at 15:02

@Gul - good for you and your believes. 

GymAddict wrote (see)

but he doesn't love humanity enough to stop the horrendous shit that goes on every day.

If God doesnt exist or care about humanity, why doesnt humanity sort out the shit that they themselves have created ? 

@Ric - what would you accept as proof that God does exist ?

15/10/2012 at 15:22

Evidence. But then there's not one jot of evidence of Aliens from another planet either and people believe they are real also.

15/10/2012 at 15:27
GymAddict wrote (see)

@Gul - see that's the kind of thing that made me run screaming from the church in the first place.

The kind of thinking that says god loves us so much he would direct a husband and wife together, but he doesn't love humanity enough to stop the horrendous shit that goes on every day.

Free will - nope - what a cop out that is.

Where are like buttons when you need them? Like.

15/10/2012 at 15:52

GymAddict - I can't give you an answer to that and I'm sorry that you left screaming. There are plenty of times when I feel like screaming at God too and asking why, but just asking him those questions can strangely draw me closer to him. No point in not being honest.
RicF - as far as I know, I've never met an alien

15/10/2012 at 15:56
carterusm wrote (see)

@Gul - good for you and your believes. 

GymAddict wrote (see)

but he doesn't love humanity enough to stop the horrendous shit that goes on every day.

If God doesnt exist or care about humanity, why doesnt humanity sort out the shit that they themselves have created ? 

A lot of the people involved in humanity are trying, very hard, to sort the shit out themselves.  Unfortunately, a lot of that shit has been created by people in the name of religion.

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it, you'd have good people doing good things, and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."

15/10/2012 at 16:13

There's an interesting parallel between belief in God and belief in aliens.  (I think so anyway!)  I happen to "believe" there's a reasonable chance that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, because it's so feckin' big and there's a chance that there is another star somewhere that happens to have a planet in orbit in its inhabitable zone.  It also seems reasonable to suggest there is a chance that life-forms exist which are way more intelligent than us, possibly beyond our imaginations, but we'll never ever know about them because they like us are constrained by the laws of physics, and even if they knew or guessed that we existed, wouldn't physically be able to get a signal to us, much less pop round to say hello, because of the speed at which our places in the universe are moving apart.

...I can't remember where I was going with this, but I need a cuppa tea.  Hang on...

15/10/2012 at 16:13

Intermanaut - I am ashamed and appalled by many things that have been done in the name of "religion". Jesus quite clearly taught that we should love our enemies and that seems totally opposed to things that have been done in his name. And actually, he was very scathing of the behaviour of some of the "religious" people of his own day.
Unfortunately, I don't think humanity will be able to sort itself out on its own. I don't believe that I can't even sort out my own mess without God's help and that only he could help me to love people regardless of how they treat me.

15/10/2012 at 16:22

Phil – Do you think we can ever prove that something doesn’t exist?  

Gul – What is it that causes you to believe then? You state that what you say sounds crazy but believe it nonetheless. It seems an odd stance to take.

Internmanaut– I like Steven Weinberg but I don’t really go with him on that quote. Good people are perfectly capable of evil whether religion is present or not.

15/10/2012 at 16:28

@Mr Viper - good people are, by very definition, incapable of evil.

15/10/2012 at 16:43

Not true, no one is incapable of evil. Good people try to do good, but what is good for one person can be another man's evil.

Question - if you were able to manage time travel would you go back to kill Adolf Hitler? and although this could be described as good for many it would be an act of evil to his relatives.

15/10/2012 at 16:45

Intermanaut - So you don’t agree with the quote you posted? Anyway I disagree with what you say. I think we are all capable or good and all capable of evil. That is simply part of what it is to be human. Though again we are raising the question as to what good and evil actually mean. Or whether they actually mean anything at all.

15/10/2012 at 17:03

Intermanaut – To expand  the way I see it morality is not black and white and its subjective. It means different things to different people. It is a human and evolutionary construct not something that has absolute meaning. If morality were absolute then it would have meaning that exists across all of time and space. Lets postulate the Universe as it were moments after the big bang. Can we really say our ideas of good and evil had meaning at this point? Essentially morality boils down to things we approve of and things we don’t. If we accept free will there is no reason that someone considered ‘good’ could not commit an act considered ‘evil’.

15/10/2012 at 17:04

Mr Viper wrote (see)

Phil – Do you think we can ever prove that something doesn’t exist?  

My head hurts!  On the face of it I think the simple answer is, no we can't.  I don't think we've got the capacity to have knowledge of everything, and I think it logically follows that we can't know for sure that something doesn't exist, because it doesn't fall within the realm of what would need to be our perfect knowledge of the universe. 

On the other hand, I suppose you could say beyond reasonable doubt that certain things don't exist if, for example, what you're talking about can't have the properties ascribed to it if those properties are incompatible.  Like most people's versions of God. 

15/10/2012 at 17:43

I don't believe in God but having said that, I do still tend to behave myself, just in case.

15/10/2012 at 18:29

If the god of any of the current religions is real - behaving yourself won't be good enough - just saying 

15/10/2012 at 18:42

Hmm, any examples of mis-behavior I might have to get to grips with?

kittenkat    pirate
15/10/2012 at 18:45

Behaviour and misbehaviour are fairly abstract contexts. Nelson Mandela midbehaved, thank.... um....

Well just thankfully.

15/10/2012 at 19:40

Colin McLaughlin

You're idea of a god is very different to mine, to me a god is an immaculate infallible being, what you're describing is a god made in our image, not the other way around.

As for aliens, I completely agree with Phil, chances are they are out there somewhere, as for higher intelligences, many believe that's exactly what gods are, aliens who've somehow managed to visit.

Do aliens exist? Sounds like a new thread for KK!

kittenkat    pirate
15/10/2012 at 19:53
lardarse wrote (see)

Colin McLaughlin

You're idea of a god is very different to mine, to me a god is an immaculate infallible being, what you're describing is a god made in our image, not the other way around.

As for aliens, I completely agree with Phil, chances are they are out there somewhere, as for higher intelligences, many believe that's exactly what gods are, aliens who've somehow managed to visit.

Do aliens exist? Sounds like a new thread for KK!

Do uncorrupt politicians exist?

15/10/2012 at 19:55

No, QED.

221 to 240 of 265 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.