Believing in God

or not

241 to 260 of 265 messages
15/10/2012 at 20:37
lardarse wrote (see)

Colin McLaughlin, Your idea of a god is very different to mine, to me a god is an immaculate infallible being, what you're describing is a god made in our image, not the other way around.

I don't have any idea of a "god". I think you must be confusing what I said to refute someone's argument with me having an opinion of how I think a god actually would be if there were one.

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 20:38
16/10/2012 at 08:58

Mr Viper - I could say because of "answered" prayer, but then again there's always plenty of "unanswered" prayer. Of course it depends on what you mean by answered or unanswered and whether it's just coincidence or not. But also I would say that I believe in God because I feel or sense his presence, sometimes in an overwhelming way, and because as I talk to him and read the Bible I believe he communicates with me. And perhaps mostly becuase of the way he has changed me in the way that I think and behave and healed me from things that have caused me pain.

16/10/2012 at 10:55

Gul Darr, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that prayer has any effect on anything at all - scientific studies have shown this, yet even on a basic level it's obvious. Do religious people suffer less pain and suffering in their lives despite many of them spending hours of their lives praying? Do fewer bad things happen to religious people? Of course not. It's a lottery. Of course if you pray for enough things to happen then some of them will by the law of averages. If you call that "answered" prayer and it makes you feel happy then good for you, but it's a completely illogical argument for the existence of god.

16/10/2012 at 11:04

Hi Daren,
I wasn't suggesting that it is proof of the existence of God rather that certain things that have happened as or after I or other people have prayed are some of the reasons that I believe in God. BTW Congrats on the sub 90 at Peterbrough!

16/10/2012 at 11:10

Thanks!

16/10/2012 at 11:45

Could have been a sub 85 though if you'd prayed, Daren.

Edited: 16/10/2012 at 11:45
16/10/2012 at 12:26

May God strike you down you blasphemer...

16/10/2012 at 13:34
carterusm wrote (see)

May God strike you down you blasphemer...

Don't hold your breath, last time I heard he was sorting out some shit on planet Zorg.

16/10/2012 at 13:37

surely everybody knows that prayers operate like the public vote system on X factor. If your gran dies or your sister doesn't get that job she really wants it's because not enough people prayed. Similar to the way "likes" work on facebook. Like this link and this kitten will live. It's a simple causal relationship.  

16/10/2012 at 13:39

So, if PhilPub never posts another message on here, could there be an argument that he has indeed be struck down by God ??

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
16/10/2012 at 15:35

What always puzzles me is how come if God made Man and all the animals he didn't give us all the ability to ingest food and just "disappear" the waste instead of having to crap it all out of our rear ends? Or was it a cosmic joke?

16/10/2012 at 16:43

Maybe God made a mistake with making something in his image and was really a giant housefly. We'd be buggered then.

16/10/2012 at 20:44
Bionic Ironwolf wrote (see)

What always puzzles me is how come if God made Man and all the animals he didn't give us all the ability to ingest food and just "disappear" the waste instead of having to crap it all out of our rear ends? Or was it a cosmic joke?

Since matter can neither be created nor destroyed, we'd get bigger and bigger. Then we'd explode.

Food consists of (a) the really useful stuff we keep in us, and (b) the rest. The rest, we have to crap out of our rear ends.

Crapping is a logical way of doing things and is in no way ungodworthy.

16/10/2012 at 22:03

"Since matter can neither be created nor destroyed" - ah, but if things had been created properly that scenario wouldn't exist.

16/10/2012 at 22:10

If we didn't poo out of our bottoms, we wouldn't have toilet humour.  The world's a much richer place with toilet humour, thank God.

18/10/2012 at 12:14

Yeah but what about all the dog crap and cow pats?

18/10/2012 at 15:38

Worse trick I ever saw with dog shit was on the way home from school, a huge pile was laying on the pavement and this older lad broke away from his group, passed the pile of crap and just swung around kicking the entire heap back into their faces. It made an un-holy mess and God, was there a fight afterwards.

IronCat5    pirate
20/10/2012 at 20:43

I'm sure you've all seen the 'text' doing the rounds on Facebook. For those that haven't it is a text from Science to Religion.

Basic content is Science asking how is it he has just safely delivered a man to earth from ~23 miles up by parachute, yet all religion did that week was shoot a girl in the head for wanting to go to school.

An interesting POV.

21/10/2012 at 09:33

Whilst I completely agree with that, all religion should be banned, unfortunately the deluded ones would claim that god inspired and guided the scientists in their quest and the girl was shot because people need more guidance/are flawed/god gives us free will/etc bullshit get out clauses.

BTW where's the vicar? Do you think whilst reading this thread he's had what alcoholics would describe as a moment of clarity? An epiphany?

Dark Vader    pirate
21/10/2012 at 20:48

Ask the god squad to explain dinosaurs...   especially the people who seem to think the earth is only 9000 years old...   dinosaurs were around long before humans evolved from primates...  getting them to explain that one is always good for a laugh....   apparently there is a sizeable US population who don't believe dinosaurs ever existed because they aren't mentioned in the bible... just ridiculous...

241 to 260 of 265 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.