Believing in God

or not

101 to 120 of 252 messages
10/10/2012 at 13:10

now this is what I call religion giving religion a bad name

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19893309

shooting a 14yr old girl for "promoting secularism"???  40 years of trying to get rid of the Taliban by the Yanks and Russians (plus others) and still this shit carries on.   how the hell anyone who is a Muslim can condone the Taliban's actions is frankly beyond me

10/10/2012 at 13:12
GymAddict wrote (see)

s about christianity without a single ' I believe' in sight.

A friend of mine is a retired Arch Deacon (or something in the church anyway - I think it's Arch Deacon).   I remember him describing his former job to me - it didn't seem to require belief and when I mentioned that he said - "oh we don't bother with all that God nonsense" - only half jokingly.  

That's the kind of religion I like - ones that don't bother with all that God nonsense. 

LIVERBIRD    pirate
10/10/2012 at 13:13

Our vicar had a vision of being at the heart of our community and when the school next door was closed down we bought it and turned it into a community centre. I must admit I was sceptical at the time but 12 years later (and I volunteered in it for three years until recently) I am SO PROUD of what it is and the impact it has on lives round here. It is always full of people using it for various things including computer courses, French classes, art classes, bereavement counselling, indoor bowls, day centre for disabled adults, zumba, you name it, we've probably had it. Going in there you WON'T have the gospel rammed down your throat and you'll get a bloody good dinner in the cafe. I think our Oaks centre says FAR more about who we are than the church next door to be honest and I'm not trying to be deliberately disrespectful. I'm dead proud to be a part of it.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
10/10/2012 at 13:15

GymAddict wrote (see)

http://www.entrust.org.uk/home/lcf/funders-directory?region=63

Go onto this site - see if there is a landfill site near your church (within 10 miles) and then you would be eligible for help with the church roof from the Landfill Communities Fund.  Whether or not you would get through the application process is another matter but it is an avenue to try. 

We have ARPLEY landfill site within two miles GA! Thanks for that - I shall look into it!

Edited: 10/10/2012 at 13:16
10/10/2012 at 13:33
popsider wrote (see)
GymAddict wrote (see)

s about christianity without a single ' I believe' in sight.

A friend of mine is a retired Arch Deacon (or something in the church anyway - I think it's Arch Deacon).   I remember him describing his former job to me - it didn't seem to require belief and when I mentioned that he said - "oh we don't bother with all that God nonsense" - only half jokingly.  

This is a good little book - Godless Morality: Keeping Religion out of Ethics, and it was written by the former Bishop of Edinburgh! 

seren nos    pirate
10/10/2012 at 14:00

LB.........just had ours roof etc sorted..............luckily had lots of grants as apparantley it is rather unique as it was built betrween the wars...........so CADW listed.....

10/10/2012 at 14:11
There has to be a god, otherwise why else Songs of Praise and Aled Jones exist ?
10/10/2012 at 14:12

I reside in the sunny county of Somerset. They are all God fearing down here as we haven't got TV or internet or even newspapers. So I just tell them what I want and they say yes otherwise I tell them they are going to hell

LB thats what a Church should be all about and its really positive hearing your story. Its the religions, or deifferent denominations, that are do not want to help anybody other than theirselves that are a problem.

GA to be honest a majority of Religion is BS. I live by the hard and fast rule of love God and love your neighbour. Everything else is extra baggage. Now not everybody can love God but everybody can try to love one another or try to like I do. I fail everyday but I do try.

PS yes Arch Deacon is correct. One undera Bishop if you like. Yes I know a few Vicars who would say they do not believe in God how you and I thin kthey should be. I like to think the Priests are the glue holding it all together. The Priest I work under went a good few years not believing and praying. Its not uncommon. None of us are sure ourselves, its pretty bloody hard work trying to hold on to your faith if the truth be known. But its not meant to be easy.

Whenever we have these arguments Phil its always interesting hearing from you because I just cannot get the angle you are coming from.

10/10/2012 at 14:13

When my son was about 5 or 6 he said to me "I like Father Christmas better than God". Slightly suprised I enquired "why's that?!" . "Well" he explained, "Father Christmas gives you presents.. God just gives you nothing!!" I don't know if I believe in God or not but I thought it was hilarious.

10/10/2012 at 14:40
TheVicar wrote (see)

Whenever we have these arguments Phil its always interesting hearing from you because I just cannot get the angle you are coming from.

Either because it's not all black and white, or I'm too diplomatic for my own good!

I posted a link to that book mainly because of all the things that I irritate me about some religious people is the idea that morality without religion - or God - is impossible.  As if atheists walk around all day carrying out selfish, senseless acts without any concern for their fellow humans (or animals, or the environment, come to that.)  I recall Jesus is supposed to have said something along the lines of "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."  Wise words, but my guess is that this principle (the "golden rule") occurred to people naturally a lot earlier.  Apart from being social creatures and cooperation going a long way, we are capable of empathy.  "Billy, don't punch little Jonny in the face. How would you like it if he did that to you?"

Seems like a very obvious and basic thing to say, and yet the Pope and numerous cardinals - Cormac Murphy-O'Connor's a good one - are forever bleating on about "aggressive secularism" and virtually equating lack of religion with complete lack of morality.  It does my nut in that some people can feel so fundamentally morally superior when their own religious doctrine contains so much intolerance.

Edited: 10/10/2012 at 14:44
10/10/2012 at 14:47
I do have an issue with the Catholic Church... One of the richest organisations on the planet , so why not sell the lot and feed the poor ?

And how can a bunch of (supposedly celibate) men decree that contraception is wrong, therefore condemning women in Africa to untold horrors...

Seems to be a pretty fecked up God
10/10/2012 at 14:53
But if the pope is gods representative on earth, shouldn't he get the message loud and clear ?
10/10/2012 at 15:01

Ghost thats extremely true!

I think the idea of a Pope is completely and utterly wrong. I think the Catholic Church needs to really have a look at itself and try and drag the church into this century and stop living in the 1800's. Just my view And yes I have said it before, we have a load of Tudor silverwhere kept in a bank in our town. I said we should flog it and give the money away. Oh you cant do that lol. Its the same as chucking money at this wonderful building we come to on a Sunday morning. Its amazing and we should look after it but you think how much better it would be to spend that money on other things. However in saying that we managed to give 15000£ to charities last year so we do some good now and again.

10/10/2012 at 15:02

We are all Gods representative on earth some idiot in a pointy hat ain't no better than you or I. He certainly gets paid more and can chat BS and everybody jumps and does it. He should live in a hair shirt as a hermit in a cave. I would respect him a lot more

10/10/2012 at 15:03

Oh I see. Can I have another user name. i could be the Holy Ghost?

10/10/2012 at 15:07
If you don't believe in a god, can you still be a representative of him ( or her ) ?
10/10/2012 at 15:09

In my eyes yes in your eyes no I believe we are made in his image and we are here to essentially serve him. You don't believe in God so you cannot believe that

10/10/2012 at 15:32
Mmm so god looks like Dolly Parton. Teehee
10/10/2012 at 15:35

I wouldnt go as far to say that lol But perhaps Dolly Parton is the second coming???

10/10/2012 at 15:36
Liver bird is a bible basher. Perhaps God looks like LB ?
101 to 120 of 252 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.