Believing in God

or not

121 to 140 of 265 messages
10/10/2012 at 15:02

We are all Gods representative on earth some idiot in a pointy hat ain't no better than you or I. He certainly gets paid more and can chat BS and everybody jumps and does it. He should live in a hair shirt as a hermit in a cave. I would respect him a lot more

10/10/2012 at 15:03
TheVicar wrote (see)

Ghost thats extremely true!

I think the idea of a Pope is completely and utterly wrong. I think the Catholic Church needs to really have a look at itself and try and drag the church into this century and stop living in the 1800's. Just my view And yes I have said it before, we have a load of Tudor silverwhere kept in a bank in our town. I said we should flog it and give the money away. Oh you cant do that lol. Its the same as chucking money at this wonderful building we come to on a Sunday morning. Its amazing and we should look after it but you think how much better it would be to spend that money on other things. However in saying that we managed to give 15000£ to charities last year so we do some good now and again.

Just call me kk still, even though I'm looking a bit washed out.

10/10/2012 at 15:03

Oh I see. Can I have another user name. i could be the Holy Ghost?

10/10/2012 at 15:07
If you don't believe in a god, can you still be a representative of him ( or her ) ?
10/10/2012 at 15:09

In my eyes yes in your eyes no I believe we are made in his image and we are here to essentially serve him. You don't believe in God so you cannot believe that

10/10/2012 at 15:32
Mmm so god looks like Dolly Parton. Teehee
10/10/2012 at 15:35

I wouldnt go as far to say that lol But perhaps Dolly Parton is the second coming???

10/10/2012 at 15:36
Liver bird is a bible basher. Perhaps God looks like LB ?
10/10/2012 at 15:41

What PhilPub says.

I once had to post a reminder to a discussion about religion that atheism was not to be confused with Satanism as many of the believers seemed to have the two confused.

10/10/2012 at 15:55
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
If you don't believe in a god, can you still be a representative of him ( or her ) ?

TheVicar wrote (see)

Oh I see. Can I have another user name. i could be the Holy Ghost?

That would make me the unholy ghost...

10/10/2012 at 15:56

I’m enjoying reading this discussion. I’m not religious myself but dad was a vicar for many years. The one thing that always annoyed him was people making assumptions about what he believed. He has never taken a literal interpretation of the bible, or believed in the resurrection of Christ or even in God (at least in the sense that most people mean when they talk about a supernatural being). What always surprised me when talking to the ‘churchy’ people I encountered was how rare a belief in the kind of God ridiculed by the likes of Dawkins was. Or in fact how unimportant the question was to them in the first place. Their faith seemed to be focused far more on a shared sense of morals and a spiritual feeling that there is something deeper in the experience of being human than a scientific description communicates.

10/10/2012 at 15:58

One thing that really put the cherry on the top of my atheism was visting the Vatican City ... yip all that poverty and humility oops sorry is that gold I see, must be a different kind of poverty then.

10/10/2012 at 15:59

Mr Viper - SPOT ON!  shared sense of morals and spiritual feeling - this is an essential part of life - religion, not so much.

12/10/2012 at 07:30

I think what Dawkins is ridiculing is basically American-style christianity

12/10/2012 at 10:10

Yup very much so. Richard Dawkins isn't all that i'm afraid. He got pretty massacred by a chap called William Lane Craig and keeps shying away from having a debate with him. Basically because what Dawkins doesn't realise is that real religion is pretty boring I am afraid and WLC plays on that.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
12/10/2012 at 10:17
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
Liver bird is a bible basher. Perhaps God looks like LB ?

Then God needs to get in the gym and eat less chocolate.

12/10/2012 at 10:21

God is everywhere !

12/10/2012 at 10:37

Citing Dawkins' refusal to debate Lane Craig is hardly a decent argument against Dawkins.  I've never seen anyone offer an argument for the existence of God that is better-made than Dawkins' argument that there isn't.

Then again, when you've got science, evidence and truth on your side, it doesn't really matter what someone like Lage Craig says.

12/10/2012 at 11:02

Ah but William Lane Craig argues what I believe is a more powerful argument for God than Dawkins does against. Thats because I'm a Christian lol

Also a good read are any books by Lee Strobel, Case for God, Case for Christ. Very interesting because he takes and uses only hard facts for the proof of God. Written facts from other Historians, Archaelogical evidence etc

12/10/2012 at 11:06

urgh - 'hard facts'   I don't believe you I'm afraid.

Facts for the existence of historical people and events - proof of God - nope.

Philosophical arguments perhaps. 

121 to 140 of 265 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.