Best ever running books

1 to 20 of 72 messages
16/02/2012 at 21:25

It's my birthday soon and my missus wants inspiration on running books to get me

Already got: Ultramarathon Man, Born to Run, The Greatest (Haile' biography), The Ghost Runner, Running for my Life, P&D, Road running for Serious Runners (LOL!), Daniels' Running Formula

Any suggestions? Money no object- well to me, anyway!!

16/02/2012 at 21:33
That Murakami (sp?) one. Is it `what i think about when i think about running`. Class above imo.
ATM
16/02/2012 at 21:37
Fictionalized biography of Emil Zatopek  Great .
ATM
16/02/2012 at 21:46
From Last to First - Charlie Spedding
16/02/2012 at 21:46

ET- oops- should have put that on the already got list- good read though

ATM- Thanks

16/02/2012 at 21:49
Red S- looks promising
16/02/2012 at 22:24
I have a few of the books mentioned. My favourite is Running with Lydiard by Arthur Lydiard. It won't be to everyone's taste cos it is a book which provides the groundwork of how to train.
16/02/2012 at 22:25

Feet in the Clouds

The Perfect Distance, (Coe and Ovett) - Pat Butcher

The Lore of Running- Tim Noakes (essential manual for every runner)

The extra Mile - Pam Reed

Wild Trails to Far Horizons - Mike Cudahy

17/02/2012 at 09:08

A good list of books there, some of which i will certainly look up.

As a follow up question I wondered if anyone could suggest some that would be a good read for non-runners as well - shock, horror! Yes, there are such things as non-runners

I've been asked if I'd talk to the local library group about my first marathon attempt, and have been asked to include something related to books as well - it being a library group and all! I'm assuming most of them don't run, so might not find the training type books of as much interest.

ATM
17/02/2012 at 09:20
Have a look at some reviews of the Zatopek book and of the film footage about him on youtube, jason. His story is definitely of interest even to a confirmed non-runner. On the human-interest front, I found it heartbreaking. I like that in a book...
ATM
17/02/2012 at 10:02
How long did he rule Mexico for?
ATM
17/02/2012 at 10:07
It's not that  fictionalized..But, hey, it would make a great movie twist...The shorts, the vests, the Russian Army, the Mexican Army, St.Wencelas Square, sombreros...It will work Sussex R! Send me a draft script...
ATM
WiB
17/02/2012 at 10:09

Feet in the Clouds is a great read if you have an interest in Fell running and particularly the BGR.

WiB
17/02/2012 at 10:12
Just noticed FICTIONALISED-thats intersting. Kind of like the David Peace book on Clough. Not the not-so-god film version!
17/02/2012 at 11:42

Feet in the Clouds should also have been on my already got (and read numerous times!!) list. Some great suggestions everyone- will give a list to Mrs JD- thanks a lot!

Helen- I'd suggest that FitC is well worth a read even if you're a non-runner

17/02/2012 at 11:44

For non-runners Born to Run is still a fascinating travelogue and a good yarn - even if the barefoot message is a debateable.

The Bart yasso book is an easy read too, (cant rememeber the title but goole bart yasso and you'll find it) 

17/02/2012 at 13:07
I just read the biography of Ron Peters called 'Plimsolls On, Eyeballs Out', a very interesting read.
17/02/2012 at 13:15

Helen - someone I know texted me this week to say they're reading Born to Run and loving it - they are not a runner.  It's v good if you haven't read it.

Jason - I flicked through my Charlie Spedding book last night to remind me of how it read and I would hugely recommend it.  I also looked at Charlie's website and blog.  He's recently recovered from lymphoma and is back running.  I didn't realise he'd been unwell.

17/02/2012 at 14:04

RS- hinting heavily to the missus

Born to run is fab for runners and non-runners, i'd agree. i've read it at least 6 times

17/02/2012 at 15:37
Helen - 'just a little run around the world' would be a great book for a non-runner
1 to 20 of 72 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.