Big weekend get together

Who is up for it?

1 to 20 of 49 messages
03/10/2002 at 10:42
Following on from a previous post, i've now made plans for a weekend get together.

I've completely booked out the Youth Hostel at Holmbury St Mary for the last weekend of November. The place sleeps 52 and it would be great if we could fill it with UFRC members. It's a chance to get together and get to know fellow forum members.

The idea is that it would be a long weekend break (Fri-Sun) with loads of running plus spending the other time in the comapny of fellow runners. I intend to organise some pacing groups so you can run with someone of your own standard. I also want to get a top coach to come along and give a talk on the various thinking of the moment. I can get an ex-international runner who would be there for a less formal question and answer session and of course there will undoubtably be a fair element of drinking involved (bring your own.)

Holmbury St Mary is located in Surrey just off the A25 between Dorking and Guildford - 30 miles from Central London. The hostel is described as being set in extensive grounds, in 4000 acres of woodland in an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

The set up is to arrive Friday evening. Saturday, to incorporate 2 runs one in the morning, one later in the day(before it gets dark.)Sunday morning run before leaving at around 1.00pm.
Meals will include breakfasts (Sat & Sun), lunch (Sat) & evening meal (Sat.)Cost per person is £85.00, non runners/partners would also be welcome.

I would need a deposit of £45 per person to book it. I'm really looking forward to it, as it should be great fun. Let me know who can make it.
03/10/2002 at 11:00
Potentially stupid question: does "last weekend in November" mean 22nd - 24th or the 29th - 1st?

I can definitely make the latter of those two, the other one is a bit more questionable.

cheers
venom
03/10/2002 at 11:01
Hi Vernom

It would be November the 29th to December the 1st.
Stupid on my part thinking that November had 31 days.

regards
03/10/2002 at 11:24
Cool, count me in then.
03/10/2002 at 11:27
Great - look forward to seeing you, I'll let you know where to send the deposit to soon.
03/10/2002 at 11:43
Shin Splints - you entrenpeneur, you. But what are you going to do if you don't get any bookings. Do you have to pay for the hostel, or do you own it? Very similar idea to the one that Keith and trailplus gang, and RW's weekends? How did you organise it so quickly? Have you done it before?
03/10/2002 at 11:51
Hi P Butt

Forgive my ignorance but where is Crowborough - would it be possible to go from Holmbury St Mary to there on the day to take in the race?

Snicks,

I'm afraid you've got me wrong on the owning of the hostel - i wish! I have done it before where i organised a weekend away from the club i run for, albeit at a different hostel. It's not that difficult - i'd be willing to do it on a regular basis if need be......
03/10/2002 at 12:03
Crowborough is in Sussex, near Kent border, close to Tunbridge Wells. Would be a pretty early start from the Guildford area to get there in good time for the start, not impossible though.
03/10/2002 at 12:16
I'm doing the Crowborough 10k, but if not to far from the hostel, I'd love to do it. Incorporating both would be great.
03/10/2002 at 12:58
Bugger - I hadn't realised the dates clashed with Crowborough (think it's about time I got myself a diary...)

If there's going to be a way to fit both together, that would be great. Otherwise, I think Crowborough is going to win out.

venom
03/10/2002 at 14:05
What's the general concensus.

Do you think it would be better done on a different weekend?
Do you think it would be worth doing?
Where should it be?
What would you like to do on the weekend?
03/10/2002 at 14:10
I'd definitely like to do it, but as regards date, I don't think any would suit all, best to do this every so often so eventually most people get to go on one. As regards this date, I'm still interested if feasible alongside the Crowborough event.
03/10/2002 at 14:12
1) Different weekend would be a good idea. How about into January?
2) Yes, definitely worth doing
3) Nearer London is easier for me to get too, but anywhere not too remote is fine
4) The suggestions you've already made sounded great to me
03/10/2002 at 14:13
Idea sounds good, but how about easter time. That way it ain't too chilly
03/10/2002 at 14:22
Good idea - I like the sound of doing it several times a year so nobody misses out. I'm interested in this date - haven't entered the Crowborough 10k yet but I was intending to do so.
03/10/2002 at 14:23
Is there a list of events/races where you have arranged to meet?
We could always set something up to coincide with this so as to make a weekend of the whole thing.

03/10/2002 at 14:26
Well... To be honest... Yes!
03/10/2002 at 16:31
The place is great and easy to get to from London (for us non-car types) but the weekend is bad for me to!

January would be probably be a good month though as there aren't so many races and it would be a good way to start the year...
03/10/2002 at 17:48
This particular weekend would not suit me either, but like the idea of several different weekends throughout the year to choose from. However, would they always be at the same place?
Trogs    pirate
04/10/2002 at 00:07
Sadly I can't make that weekend either - family commitments. Shame cos it's only about 15 miles from home.
1 to 20 of 49 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.