birthday presents for kids

are they mad or am i just tight arsed

1 to 20 of 56 messages
seren nos    pirate
21/11/2012 at 13:56

a discussion on amazon is asking for the best tablet for a 9 year old for her birthday.lots of expensive suggestions.............but the lady states that as a single mother of 2 she can only afford £100..

am i the only one that thinks these kind of expensive electronic toys are for older kids not primary school and that £100 for a 9th birthday is excessive...............until mine hit 17 then the present limit is between £10 and £20 for birthdays................

someone had bought one for their 3 year old..what happened to lego and crayons......

if you spend £100 or £300 o their 9th birthday.what do you end up spending for their 13th or 18th..........they are only kids

cougie    pirate
21/11/2012 at 14:00

Ridiculous amount of money for a 9 year old. And whatever you buy - they'll be bored or have broken it by the weekend.

21/11/2012 at 14:03

Best tablet for a 9 year old is a sedative.

Get 'em a stick and a hoop.  That'll keep 'em busy.

21/11/2012 at 14:07

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/etch2.jpg

seren nos    pirate
21/11/2012 at 14:07
PhilPub wrote (see)

Best tablet for a 9 year old is a sedative.

I could have done with some of those.......o yes i remember he did have them

21/11/2012 at 14:10
They'll never value stuff if it's so easy get it. I remember a young boy I knew couldn't find his Gameboy once and said Oh well, Daddy/Mummy will have to buy me a new one and they cost ??xx. No thought as to not being so careless or whether his parents could afford it. Mind you, his siblings weren't any better - always knew the price of things but never the value.
21/11/2012 at 14:23

Muttley

yes that is too much for that age - actually i'd have a job paying that for my other half!

I hate all these adverts that say things like "only £279, ideal christmas gift"

think thats probably more than my total christmas budget

gingerfurball    pirate
21/11/2012 at 14:38

I think you're being tight

seren nos    pirate
21/11/2012 at 14:45

as teenagers they only get £5 a week pocket money and have to do extra chores if they want more...........

apart from those in 6th form who get EMA from the government........

as adults we have to save for the things we want so i think the kids should as well...its amazing how they think twice about needing to have the latest game if they have to pay for it themselves

gingerfurball    pirate
21/11/2012 at 14:48

...ok...I'll qualify that by saying that birthdays are a big deal in our house (extended family) - we probably spend more money and thought and care into birthdays even than Christmas.  Probably stemming from MrGFB's birthday being New Year's Eve and his parents always gave him a present at Christmas and said "that'll do you for your birthday too".

Everyone in our family has a full on birthday party with all the bells and whistles (and booze and food) every year and if it's a special birtyday (eg our son't 21st and my dad's 70th (same day) this October past) we really go to town

I can totally understand if it's a budgeting thing.

Edited: 21/11/2012 at 14:49
21/11/2012 at 14:53

I don't think you are necessarily being tight but I don't see anything wrong with kids having £100 presents - that's less than a Nintendo 3DS costs and most primary kids have stuff like that.   A kids bike is at least £150 new if it's any good.  I'd rather my kids had a few expensive items they actually use than box loads of tat they don't want.    

My 11 year old son has an Ipod Touch 5th gen (but he did have to clear out his life savings - otherwise known as money my mum has put in a piggybank for them - far too much but what can you do) and we paid the other half.   Mind you he's also got a cyclocross bike with DuraAce/Open Pro wheels.  

21/11/2012 at 14:54

I too make more fuss of birthdays than Christmas too, but not to the extent of having a party (shudders).

However, I think £100 for a nine year old's present is way over the top.  Not having any kids, I don't have to deal with requests for ridiculous presents, and "all my friends have got one... ", but I'm damn sure the limit on present cost would be more like Seren's!

21/11/2012 at 15:04
My missus's lad has a PS3 (obviously for games but can also watch DVDs and blue rays, go on Internet etc), an X-Box which I think does the same, an apple mini mac, an iPod touch and some other handheld device. Now we are having the discussion that she wants us to buy him an iPad mini. I've suggested getting him an extra head and 2 pairs of hands so he can use them all at once. I have insisted that he can't have both the iPad mini and mac in his room as they both do the same job. Like mentioned earlier, he doesn't appreciate the value of things. The PS3 joystick type whatsit thingy is often thrown against the wall if a game doesn't go his way. A few months ago his tv was broken so within minutes she was online buying him a new one. Turns out that the USB cable needed pushing in properly. And he has sky HD in the dining area that he has sole use of but still wants to record stuff on mine. Oops I'm rambling now. Give em a kick up the arse and tell them to be grateful for that I say. Happy Christmas everyone Bah feckin humbug
21/11/2012 at 15:06

I'd say buy yourself something nice and give the kid the box to play with. There must be a million and one clever things a nine year old could do with a box...

seren nos    pirate
21/11/2012 at 15:13

caterusm..............at one time i did have 4 PS2 in the house.....all in use..but they were never updated to PS3's as they would not play the old games............

we do have 3 laptops  2 of which are second hand the the third was saved up for..........

and the desktop computer is second hand as well

seren nos    pirate
21/11/2012 at 15:15

and my yougest who is nearly 16 did say that there was nothing he really need for christmas but a few things he might like ........

My eldest mind is not as basic and still wants everything today ......and then more tomorrow

21/11/2012 at 15:15

Our eldest daughter has just had her 8th birthday - she has been asking for a DS for the last three years and had been told no and she had to wait till her 8th birthday - so this year we got her a second hand one from ebay at a fraction of the cost.

She was over the moon about it even thoguh it was just a standard DS and a lot of her friends have got the DS 3d version.

£100 pound presents for birthday/Christmas are way outside our budget. Too many kids get what ever they ask for and don't appreciate the value of it. In fact a friend was complaining the other day about the problem they have created by giving their kids whatever they ask for with out question. I was quite impressed that hey had accepted it was a problem they caused themselves.

seren nos    pirate
21/11/2012 at 15:17

we do have to save for the 17th and 18th present........

the 17th is the most expensive as its a driving liscence and then all the lessons that they need to pass..........a fortune........and the 18th is a lump of cash for their own use........

and then its back to £10 -£20 presents

21/11/2012 at 15:39

as long as you can afford it i dont see the problem.  I would never let xmas spending take me into debt.

CelticRunner wrote (see)

Our eldest daughter has just had her 8th birthday - she has been asking for a DS for the last three years and had been told no and she had to wait till her 8th birthday - so this year we got her a second hand one from ebay at a fraction of the cost.

She was over the moon about it even thoguh it was just a standard DS and a lot of her friends have got the DS 3d version.

£100 pound presents for birthday/Christmas are way outside our budget. Too many kids get what ever they ask for and don't appreciate the value of it. In fact a friend was complaining the other day about the problem they have created by giving their kids whatever they ask for with out question. I was quite impressed that hey had accepted it was a problem they caused themselves.

an example of perfect parenting

Edited: 21/11/2012 at 15:40
21/11/2012 at 15:41

You would be happy to spend £300/400 on a 7 year old even if you had plenty of money ?

1 to 20 of 56 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.