Boat Race

Swimmer

1 to 20 of 238 messages
Kryten    pirate
08/04/2012 at 11:26

So the Boat Race yesterday was ruined by a swimmer. It now looks like he felt he was protesting against something. "This is a protest, an act of civil disobedience, a methodology of refusing and resistance," he wrote. He described the race as "a public event, for and by the elites with broader social relations aims"

Does anyone have any sympathy for him or people doing this kind of thing?

And how likely do you think it is that events at the Olympics will also be disrupted like this? Aren't there anti-capitalist groups saying they are going to protest at the Olympics etc?

08/04/2012 at 11:32

08/04/2012 at 11:34

I wouldn't have cared if he'd copped an oar across his head. But then I think the boat race is an irrelevance and I only watch it in the hope one of the crews will sink.

They should hold it at Dorney Lake or the Pinsent Redgrave Lake.

08/04/2012 at 11:49
It's a unique event in the sporting calendar of this country along with the Grand National, the British Grand Prix, the cup final, the London Marathon and the Great North Run.
I enjoy watching it on tv and intend to go down to London next year to watch it. The last time I went to watch Chelsea play football it cost me £48 for a ticket. You can watch the boat race from the banks of the Thames for free.
People seem to take it the wrong way. The boat race isn't about snobbery or elitism. It's a British event that many people enjoy viewing. I'm quite shocked that people on here, runners, would knock a sporting event.
08/04/2012 at 11:52
Muttley - it's longer than the length of those lakes
08/04/2012 at 12:01

Well to be accurate. one has expressed disinterest rather than knock it. 

I can only imagine how I might feel if a protestor -for any reason - disrupted a race I had trained for months. Without wishing to sound like Harry Enfield, if it happened to me, I'd want to knock him out.

If Trenton had any real guts and commitment, he might have chosen the long game, where by the strength of his argument and his political will he might be able to bring about any changes he might like to see applied to the Elite.

But he's like those Fathers for Justice guys, incapable of changing a nappy or maintaining a relationship, so they invade Buckingham Palace instead.

08/04/2012 at 12:02
It's quite ironic that this bloke was protesting against capitalism and the first thing he did after disrupting the race was to try to swim to the bank.
08/04/2012 at 12:27
If he had been hit by an oar would he have refused to be seen by a doctor that studied at these so called "elitist" university
kittenkat    pirate
08/04/2012 at 12:29

Didn't he go to an 'elite' public school himself.

Stupid protest imo.

Kryten    pirate
08/04/2012 at 12:33
He certainly went to the London School of Economics.
08/04/2012 at 12:34

I went to Cambridge Uni many moons ago........and *shock, horror* I went from an East Midlands comprehensive ......so not very elite!

I also fail to understand why an Aussie protester is getting so hot under the collar about English elitism ??

I just feel really sorry for the guys (& girl) in the boats.......all those hours and hours of training for it to be ruined

08/04/2012 at 12:37
Saffy Sweety Pea wrote (see)
I just feel really sorry for the guys (& girl) in the boats.......all those hours and hours of training for it to be ruined

Me too.

08/04/2012 at 12:39
RICKSTER wrote (see)
It's a unique event in the sporting calendar of this country along with the Grand National, the British Grand Prix, the cup final, the London Marathon and the Great North Run.
I enjoy watching it on tv and intend to go down to London next year to watch it. The last time I went to watch Chelsea play football it cost me £48 for a ticket. You can watch the boat race from the banks of the Thames for free.
People seem to take it the wrong way. The boat race isn't about snobbery or elitism. It's a British event that many people enjoy viewing. I'm quite shocked that people on here, runners, would knock a sporting event.

agree Rickster, im an Oxford girl and that was awful to see the Dark blues have that happen to them. Boat race is  a 'must see' in my house and i agree witht Saffy that those lads and the female cox have spent months on cold dark early mornings on cold rivers training for that lifetime experience....and as the Oxford captain said, it was all taken away from them in a moment of someones idiocy. personally i think that with a disruption on that scale the whole event should have been re-started completely on another day. the teams focus was lost after that break , there was no way their composure could be fully regained to complete that race properly. a difficult decision for the umpire and he did his best to continue the event..

Also felt sorry for Cambridge , they couldnt really celebrate either and was terrible to see the Oxford bow rower in distress at the end. hoping he is ok now.

Saffy Sweety Pea wrote (see)

Edited: 08/04/2012 at 12:42
OW
08/04/2012 at 12:54
I hope the pillock takes his next protest against elitism to a premier football match. I suspect he's achieved his 7 days of fame which is what this is about rather than effecting any change
OW
OW
08/04/2012 at 12:56

Regarding OP's original questions:

No sympathy - he targetted 'innocents' who had worked bloody hard to deserve their day in the river

Yes -sadly

OW
08/04/2012 at 12:57
OW, quite right. nothing will be changed-and why should it? boat race has never caused any problems, no need to. personally i wish theyd knocked his head off with the oar and carried on..
08/04/2012 at 13:00
loulabell wrote (see)
. personally i wish theyd knocked his head off with the oar and carried on..

08/04/2012 at 13:03
loulabell wrote (see)
OW, quite right. nothing will be changed-and why should it? boat race has never caused any problems, no need to. personally i wish theyd knocked his head off with the oar and carried on..

Couldn't have said it better myself..
08/04/2012 at 13:03

According to the Grauniad he's a "former student of contemporary urbanism at the London School of Economics", whatever that means. In his own words, it was "a protest, an act of civil disobedience, a methodology of refusing and resistance" ...This act has employed guerrilla tactics. I am swimming into the boats in the hope I can stop them from completing the race and proposing the return of surprise tactics. This is 'peaceful' … I have no weapons (don't shoot!)."

Not sure what kind of "elitism" he's against - the selection procedures for Oxbridge or for the rowing crews (haven't there been arguments about mercenaries before?)

A bit of a dickhead, anyway.

08/04/2012 at 14:16
Oxford and Cambridge require top A levels. If you pass them you get in, if you don't get the grades you don't get it. It's about academic ability, not what daddy does for a living.
They're not socially elitist, they just take the brainiest people. So his justification for his protest holds not water, excuse the pun!
Was he turned down for a place at Oxford or Cambridge by any chance? Is that where his grievance arose from?
1 to 20 of 238 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.