Bodily functions of cats in my garden

41 to 49 of 49 messages
22/11/2009 at 22:10

Thanks, "cat shrink" but electronic cat flaps are fine - as long as your cat doesn't lose the collar (mine have) if they do, they can't get in as the flap will only open if operated by the electronic tag.

Blocking the flap and letting the cats out myself - not in the middle of the night, or when I'm out during the day

We've locked the flap before to keep them in, it just makes them extremely stressed.

We have one of those that you can use 4 different ways - really the problems is next door not allowing their cats in - or feeding them enough as they come to us for supplies.  Quite funny really to see one of theirs trying to escape through the cat flap (in a hurry) he's too fat and often gets stuck.

A neighbour a few doors down uses wire - I've ended up at the vet with a cat with torn paws thanks to the wire - cuts needed stitches.

Edited: 22/11/2009 at 22:11
22/11/2009 at 22:26

Heyas, 

It's coming up to winter so this wont help till the spring, but the non-toxic stuff you need is Coleus canina - it's a plant developed by a german hoticulturist specificly to repel cats.

You can buy it online here

If you don't want to buy your plants online you could try your local garden centre, or alternatively Lavendar is also a milder cat repelant (so you'd have to plant more).

This is a longer term repellant to Lion poo which is very effective.

My border collie has been repelling cats from my property, but I still have Lavendar cause I love the smell

22/11/2009 at 23:05
Totally off-thread, but read about your mara result today (on another thread) so congrats Vicki
Iron Pingu    pirate
22/11/2009 at 23:36
Hi Vicki, I didn't know about lavender being a cat repellent, but I love it too, have several big bushes that the cats like to squat down next too
23/11/2009 at 00:33
CJBA, they don't need to wear a collar if they have one that responds to their microchip.  They just have to be chipped... They can be programed to more than one chip (not sure how many). 
K9
23/11/2009 at 06:12

We had this problem a few years ago when I lived in another house....cat poo all over the yard.

Lion dung worked a TREAT - honestly.

You can buy it form the garden centre - it was called silent roar - and comes in dry pellety things to sprinkle about. Brilliant.

Er, now I have 2 tom cats who 'go' outside. Not in my yard...not sure where actually. I just have to hope it is on the little grassy park areas we have around here not the neighbours yards

23/11/2009 at 06:25
PP - i had to giggle when I read your post, I had visions of the cats round your way sitting with wee pegs on their noses
23/11/2009 at 08:40

Didn't know that Rowan, they've been chipped, so will look into that.

Didn't know about lavendar either, but oddly enough, growing cat nip might encourage them to roll in it, sleep under it etc, but never (in my experience) use it as a loo.

PS - the cats using it, I mean, of course.

23/11/2009 at 13:18

Vicki, that'll explain why they don't poo in my lavender border then...they usually don't bother with my veg patch in the summer because I grow courgettes with spiky old leaves.

Barley, I have a friend who keeps a jar of 'cat rocks' on the kitchen shelf...but that kind of deterrant only works if you're there when they're doing the business. Unless I can rig up some kind of tripwire/super soaker

Thanks all, there's some great ideas on here.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 49 of 49 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.