Book Club

recommendations

1 to 20 of 35 messages
07/08/2014 at 08:04

I've just had a bit of a book buying frenzy including a number of running books- some autobiographies such as Feet in the Clouds and some more informative like Relentless Forward Progress. Favourites so far have included Can't Swim, Can't Bike, Can't Run which I read when training for my first triathlon and could completely identify with. 

What running/sport related or just good books would others recommend? 

07/08/2014 at 09:52

Noakes Lore of Running is a useful reference, but not a real page turner.

McDougall Born to Run

I enjoyed Murakami's What I talk about when I talk about running, but I know from threads passim it's a bit of a marmite book.

I didn't particularly get on with Iron War (Fitzgerald) as I didn't warm to the way the story was told.

Finally (although I could go on) The death of Marco Pantani: a biography (Rendell) is an interesting look at a troubled soul during the 'bad old days' of doping in cycling.  The final chapters may need revision http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/aug/03/italian-court-murder-inquiry-marco-pantani-death

XX1
07/08/2014 at 09:54

FF -- Nice use of Latin 

XX1
Cake    pirate
07/08/2014 at 12:45

Enjoyed this one if any good http://www.amazon.com/From-Last-First-long-distance-runners/dp/1845136284

Murakami's book is ace.

07/08/2014 at 13:38

Feet in the clouds is excellent, Born 2 run is a little storyish and I would read with a large pinch of salt, Can't swim can't ride etc .. is self indulgent rubbish, and should be renamed can't write either, but the Murakami book is very good indeed, thought provoking and clever

Edited: 07/08/2014 at 13:41
07/08/2014 at 13:43

The last three books I read were all cycling related and written by Will Fotheringham. (I'm not a big reader; these were all Christmas presents!) Biographies of Eddie Merckx and Fausto Coppi, and a history of British riders in the Tour de France (up to and including Wiggins' 2012 victory).  Not that I'm an expert on any of that lot, but I knew least about Fausto Coppi and found that the most interesting read.  Eddie Merckx though - what a machine!!

Eddie Merckx

Fausto Coppi

Brits

07/08/2014 at 13:57

The Ghost Runner, which is a biography of John Tarrant. A fascinating read.

07/08/2014 at 14:32

Good shout Muttley, a very complex man was Mr Tarrant.  I also enjoyed the Seb Coe autobiography (Running my life), gave me an insight into just how much glad handing was involved in securing the 2012 Olympics.

07/08/2014 at 14:32
Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

, Can't swim can't ride etc .. is self indulgent rubbish, and should be renamed can't write either,

Bet you really enjoyed Can't Sleep, Can't Train, Can't Stop    then !!!

07/08/2014 at 15:09
Muttley wrote (see)

The Ghost Runner, which is a biography of John Tarrant. A fascinating read.

I agree this was good, you couldn't help but admire what he had done and achieved, but I ended up disliking the man for the way he treated his family, great book tough.

Dave - ffs don't tell me there's more, please tell me this is a joke

07/08/2014 at 15:12
07/08/2014 at 15:33
Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

(There is one great photo in it tho)

I can feel the drum roll from here and I know I'll probably regret this but, is there Dave? what photo is that 

07/08/2014 at 15:47

The one taken by my wife

Cake    pirate
07/08/2014 at 15:55

She's the brains of the outfit.

Seriously just as biased as dave as written by a mate but both books very good if you are thinking of endurance stuff and what to know about the nitty gritty stuff.

If you find endurace or triathalon boring you will hate the books probably.  

07/08/2014 at 16:01

and she's much better looking

07/08/2014 at 16:54

I wasn't aware of this so no offence meant, but as you say your opinion is biased diue to friendship, whereas mine is based upon the read only and it is still shite.

Cake    pirate
07/08/2014 at 17:10

No worries and no offence taken.

Dave given that your tother half is smart, good looking and has KY jelly by the ton what do you bring to the marrage other than your well comprehensive manhood?

07/08/2014 at 17:37
What more do I need to bring ?
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
07/08/2014 at 20:34

There's quite a lot of us on RW that know Andy, and I suppose his books wouldn't be appreciated by non-triathletes but those of us who have been there done that - can relate very well to what he wrote.

07/08/2014 at 22:04
I quite enjoyed his 2 books. I think they put me off entering an Ironman though.
1 to 20 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.