Bread

Bags of water!

1 to 20 of 62 messages
23/04/2003 at 15:29
Make yer own... Better still, get the wife to do it!
23/04/2003 at 15:44
Get a bread maker... wonderful things and you know exactly what is in it... Strongly advised (says the guy who rarely makes his own bread)
23/04/2003 at 15:48
I got a breadmaker from Santa. It's wonderful. Only takes a few minutes to bung all the stuff in, then you just switch it on and forget about it until the waft of baking bread tickles the saliva ducts. The half hour between the start of the nice smell and the ready "ping" is a good time to go for a run to get away from it.

You're supposed to leave the bread for 15 minutes when it comes out to "set" and make it easier to slice. I'm sure it probably works.........

It makes jam and scones too.
23/04/2003 at 15:52
Oops, crossed in the mail.

You only need to give them a quick wipe to clean them, as all the ingredients get lifted into the mixture during kneading.

The loaves all come out the same shape - ant the crust is on the bottom rather than the top (the tin heats up from below) but you can stop it after the raising stage and cook in a normal oven if you want to do fancy stuff like twists and bread rolls.

The recipe book has lots of stuff, including cakes (didn't see Malt Loaf, but Soreen takes a bit of beating anyway), but I've only made white, brown, wholegrain and scones so far. There are types of bread there I didn't know existed.
cns
23/04/2003 at 16:37
my favourite bread is a round granary loaf that comes from Burtons the Bakers in Bourne, Lincolnshire. Obviosuly I very rarely get it any more, but it is THE best bread I've ever had.

Other than that, most sorts of granarys are nice. Even if Granary has been nobbled by someone as a trademark
23/04/2003 at 16:52
DOH

tee hee
23/04/2003 at 16:55
Breadmakers are wonderful. Bit bulky so ours lives under the stairs, which means I don't use it as often as I should.

But the bread is awesome.
23/04/2003 at 16:56
Should get one for around 50/60 quid. I've got a Kenwood. My local Tesco now stocks 6 different models!
23/04/2003 at 17:19
Tesco are now selling "my" one at £40 I think. It's a Goodmans and does everything.
23/04/2003 at 20:08
Just like to ask if anyone has tried the soreen banana loaf available in tesco's

I think i like it , at least the 5 empty wrappers in my bin would seem to suggest so !
23/04/2003 at 20:13
I have the Rusell Hobbs Rapide and it's the dogs bollox. Mine cost £60 but I think you can get them for £50 now.

Wee Piglet got one a coupe of days ago so has been checking on latest prices.
24/04/2003 at 11:27
I'm with Nessie - my breadmaker is great - best thing since sliced bread, in fact! I've had it over a year and use it twice a week. It's a Morphy Richards and cost just under £60. It has a timer so I can pre-set it to be ready at breakfast time or when I get in from work. Only problem is stopping myself eating half a loaf at a time!

Get one - you won't be sorry.
24/04/2003 at 11:38
Breadmakers - Great!

No hassle, idiotproof, delicious results every time.

I got a top-of -the range Sony for over £100 which is fantastic, but I believe the cheaper ones probably do the job just as well.

No problems using it for a fresh loaf every day - apart from the xs weight gain from xs scrummy bread consumption.
24/04/2003 at 11:52
PB - I know you've been in America so when you think the bread is bad here, just think of how bad the pre-sliced stuff was there!

I'm a big fan of Hovis Granary (if you have to have pre-sliced), but I think that Sainsbury's bakery granary bread is bread of the gods!
cougie    pirate
24/04/2003 at 12:03
Mmmm - I want a breadmaker but was concerned it might go the way of my candyfloss maker (used once - niece scoffed the lot before I could get to it),
food processor (not much use for ready meals) and popcorn maker (although that is ace, and v handy for DVD watching).

Mmmm - £40 you say in Tescos ? Well it'll pay for itself almost.

Thanks peeps !
24/04/2003 at 12:41
Cougie - tell me you've NOT got a candy floss maker, please!

Soreen Banana Bread - ace (and doesn't stick to your teeth like malt loaf)

Best Bread - Herberts bakery, Montpelier, Bristol. Moved away 4 years ago, still crave their white organic or 'overnight' loaves (made with strong flour). I understand his grandson's set up a pretty good bakery in Nailsworth too.
cns
24/04/2003 at 13:15
Pernickity - from the looks of things you've been using your yeast for making things other than bread!
cougie    pirate
24/04/2003 at 13:34
I have Mr H - wanna lend it - be great for the lil 'uns ! ;-)
24/04/2003 at 13:55
I have had a breakmaker for about 3 years now, don't use it everyday, but certainly would not be without it - makes great foccacia - only gets a far as the dough then you have to shape, prove and bake in the oven - but grreeeeeeeat. I also use the timer at weekends so get in from a long run to lovely warm bread - great way to carbo load.
24/04/2003 at 13:58
I have a Panasonic which is over a £100 but it is excellent. I have had it for over two years and still gets used 2-3 times a week. In fact, I have just finished my sandwich made with bread from the machine.

It has a timer (so fresh bread first thing in the morning) and can do loads of different kinds of breads. I have made rolls, pizza bases, fruit loaf, olive and sun-dried tomato ciabatta. The bread is always good. One thing that I notice is that it gets stale in about 3 days, which makes you wonder what level of preservatives go into mass-produced stuff.

Get one, you won't regret it.

Tony
1 to 20 of 62 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.