British Holidays/Hotels

Are they really seedy, expensive and anti child?

21 to 37 of 37 messages
Duck Girl    pirate
08/08/2007 at 18:45
Oh, I've got an iron. Somewhere. In my house-before-last. I even used it once, for a job interview
Off to Greenbelt soon :) :) :)
08/08/2007 at 18:45
a few days in York in a posh hotel was damned dear do for what we got.
08/08/2007 at 18:56
Lucky you Duck - have lots of fun!!
Clyde..I think a lot of people pay over the odds for a hotel because you want somewhere 'nice' to stay but you are really just sleeping there and paying for the privilege, you may have a nice meal there too but there are some gorgeous proper olde inns that do amazing food (and I don't mean chips with everything) with real ales and class wines and then you can have a lovely walk back to the hotel afterwards....ahh bliss.
08/08/2007 at 18:59
I've been on driving holidays through Scotland and Wales, and have also had weekend breaks throughout the UK. I have always thought that the accomodation was a let-down, plus the cost of the holidays was more than an equivalent holiday in the popular EU destinations would have cost. I guess we were just unlucky. The scenery was very nice to see, though.
Duck Girl    pirate
08/08/2007 at 19:19
Dunno where you went in York, bu the YHA is central, wins lots of awards, fairly cheap, & in an interesting old house.
08/08/2007 at 19:26
DG- I've only been through York, never actually stayed anywhere there:(
08/08/2007 at 20:35
We're off to Scotland on Saturday as we have for the last two year and we love it:-)

But we are off to Lanzarote in October for some sun:-)
08/08/2007 at 20:43
I only stay in UK hotels on the GSR weekend in Portsmouth. Travel Inns are good, if soul-less, but your traitional seaside B&B is better, but pricey.

I suppose if a Spaniard was to book a Spanish hotel it would be more expensive for him/her than it would be for us to do so as part of a package holiday..? Does the same apply?

You could still do a good round-Britain jaunt for less than £350 I think, over the course of a week.
09/08/2007 at 07:44
GTG - top tip re supermarket breakfasts - ideal for single night stays (or more I suppose) in 'room only' places.

09/08/2007 at 08:32
I know where to go now DG - YHA - mind neither one of us are Ys -lol

13/08/2007 at 10:35

GG, I don't like to just sit by the pool either - I like to go and see and do things.  I just like to have somewhere a bit luxurious to come back to at the end of a hard days seeing and doing.

Doing that in the UK is, as pointed out above, way more expensive than doing it in many other countries.

I know there are lots of lovely places in the UK that I've never seen, but I don't want to spend my precious holiday time getting rained on.

13/08/2007 at 10:45
Uk? Find B&Bs that take contractors in the week.....bit rough on the edges but cheap as chips on the weekend.

FB
"Pillow menu"??

would sir like one to bite on or sleep with :0
13/08/2007 at 11:09
I don't think the UK is really expensive if you shop about a bit. It cost us £100 off ebay for a week in a holiday park earlier this year - 2 of us and 3 kids - probably take the kids camping for a few days in a week or so and then we are having a week in wales in a rented cottage. I never really went for luxury anyway - last year we were camping in the Highlands and spent a few nights by the Moray Firth - going for an early morning run along the beach and seeing dolphins playing about 20 feet from the shore at Chanonry Point.
Took the kids to France last year but to be honest I think there's probably more for them to do in this country.
13/08/2007 at 11:13
Camping is bad enough in a country with decent weather - but its absolute hell in the UK. Id rather lose my right arm in an industrial accident than camp on a holiday.

the thing is the UK does have nice places and areas, but I take a lot of them in on races (ultra distance off road events are great ways of really seeing a place) and live on a fairly nice part of the coast anyway so why the hell would I holiday here?

It just makes no sense, especially when for the price of a long weekend here in a decent quality hotel in the UK you can get a cheap easy jet flight down to Nice buy a hire car drive into provence get a nicer hotel for your money, infinately better food, see something that is not on your doorstep and is genuinely nicer anyway, and get decent weather. All for the same sort of cost.

I just fail to understand why anyone would want to holiday on some crappy cold beach in cornwall.
13/08/2007 at 11:30
some people don't like flying jX - and many are shunning overseas holidays to reduce their carbon footprints - but generally I agree with you!

TT - "pillow menu" - no idea mate!! they're still working on the building - I'll let you know when they open
cougie    pirate
13/08/2007 at 11:33
I love camping. I can stay at home in comfort all year long if i wanted to. Getting out into tents is a great change. Plus we've had great weather in Devon for the past few years. Shorts and teeshirts almost every day.
13/08/2007 at 12:22
Cougie - well said. I suppose it is what you are looking for in a holiday. Me personally..I like to explore places and spend time in that place not rushing because the children are bored and have no interest and who can blame them? so when my children are older I am hoping to explore the world at mine and my hubby's pace and pleasure, but until then I am very happy to enjoy the beautiful country we live in, it may not have the most incredible weather but it has some of the most amazing places. Places like Scotland and the Peak district wouldn't be quite so green and lush looking if it were hot there and they do say you can't enjoy the rainbow if there isn't any rain.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.