Bungee Jumping

the best jumps from a fixed platform

16 messages
17/06/2009 at 07:56

a bit of a random one i know but does anyone have any suggestions for the best bungee jumps from fixed structures ie bridges. looking to do one and wanted something more secure than a dubious crane in a pub carpark.

willing to travel to mainland europe and the uk.

all suggestions welcome

17/06/2009 at 11:26
I've done 2 - 1 from a crane in a park and the other from a bridge in south africa! bridge is defo the way to go - loads higher than the crane - means ya fall further, more bounce and time in the air - crane was ok but over way way too quickly!
17/06/2009 at 11:31
have never done one but saw loads a few years ago doing it from a bridge over the Verdun Gorge in France which happens to have the highest drop of any road bridge in Europe

I've abseiled off a 120' high bridge in the Pyrenees - with a hangover _ which went very quickly after the 1st drop!!
Edited: 17/06/2009 at 11:32
17/06/2009 at 12:06
yeah, i figured not only would it not be the safest but a crane would be to small. i have heard about ones in New Zealand and South Africa but unfortunately a bit too rich from my limited means. will have to have a look for the verdun gorge.
17/06/2009 at 13:24

Boing!!!

The best bridge jumps I've done were with Vertige Adventures who organise jumps off the Ponsonnas (100m) and Sautet (70m) bridges near Grenoble in the South of France.
There's a cable car in the Swiss Alps at Leukebad that gave me an awesome 9 second freefall from 1000ft but I still think the perspective from bridges is better. AJ Hackett's site in Normandy is fun and a beautiful location, but nothing special jump-wise.

I've done about 25 jumps over the years, mostly from a crane near Battersea Powerstation which was operated by UK Bungee Club at the time. They've moved their operation to Datchet and most jumps are done from a mobile crane but occasionaly they set up the 300ft crane which is well worth doing as there are great views of Windsor and a distant London to be had.

Just noticed that UK Bungee do an interesting 'bridge jump' near Middlesbrough !!!!!! I fancy giving that a go !!. Anyone else????

Edited: 17/06/2009 at 13:33
17/06/2009 at 13:33

scotty, what can i say  apart from BOING too!

just the info i'm looking for. i shall investigate further.

thanks. 

17/06/2009 at 13:41
I once went up in the cage hanging from the crane in Battersea Powerstation, but only as a spectator. It was great, but I had absolutely no intention of jumping, I left that to the expert above.
17/06/2009 at 13:45
done a few years ago, all sadly from a crane.
Don't know if I'd do another one (I now have dependents...) although I think when they get older, I might hurl myself off that big one in NZ
17/06/2009 at 13:46
 call me a bit cautious (kinda contradictory i know) but i always was a bit dubious of cranes. much prefer to leap of something fully anchored to the ground!
17/06/2009 at 15:53
Here's a few piccies taken by mava of me jumping from a crane at Lakeside Thurrock in 2007. This jump only happened when a forumite on here had a UK Bungee voucher that was up for grabs.
17/06/2009 at 16:03
I love bungee jumping done 53 jumps and just have not had the time lately. Been all over, mainly here and France with AJ Hackett. Must tr yand find the time....
17/06/2009 at 19:20
How about this one? 
18/06/2009 at 20:17
I think I'll give that one a miss thanks Prince
19/06/2009 at 10:46

My housemate works for UK Bungee and recently got me vouchers to jump at Magna in Rotheram, that was my first jump and I loved it, although the jump probably isn't that high it's the UK (maybe Europe's) only indoor jump and as you're jumping in near darkness that adds something to the experience.

He regularily works at the Middlesborough bridge jump which he says for UK jumps is the way to go.

PloddingOn    pirate
19/06/2009 at 10:48
South Africa actually has the highest bridge jump in the world

I think New Zealand has the second highest - is awesome!
19/06/2009 at 10:51

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.