can anyone advise re zbot?

Help!

11 messages
28/01/2010 at 12:49
When I tried to log on to my bank this morning, i couldn't get in and the bank have told me that they have put a stop to my access as it appears that I have a zeus/zbot virus hanging around.  I've done a full scan with my norton but everything seems to be ok.  What should be my next step?  Do I take my hard drive to my little man who does or should I just throw it out the window?
28/01/2010 at 13:07

Firstly, are you 100% sure it was your banks website, never heard of a website being able to tell if you are infected with a virus before.

Run this

28/01/2010 at 13:08
The latest upgrade of Spybot Search & Destroy should get rid of it.
28/01/2010 at 14:46

I

Edited: 28/01/2010 at 14:53
28/01/2010 at 14:52

Agree with dano, sounds very suspicious.

I had something similar a few weeks ago.  I received an email from one of my utilties telling me that payments were no longer being received and asking me to contact them via email for details.  Looked dodgy to me, so checked it with "Spoofstick" - will tell you which website you're really on - and found that it didn't match.

Forwarded it to company concerned (who responded by saying that it did look very professional) and deleted it.

spoofstick   if you think it might be useful.

28/01/2010 at 14:53
28/01/2010 at 16:07
Thanks for your help guys.  It was definitely the right bank website - not an address sent within an email or anything like that.  I've done both of your recommendations and have found that I have rather a few threats and infections so am purchasing the spyware doctor thing and hopefully that will sort things out. *fingers x'd*
28/01/2010 at 16:27
ditch Norton and get something better - and make sure you keep the virus scanner updated......but even then things can still get past as you have found

personally if I suspect some malware has got onto a machine I run Malwarebytes Anti-malware - it's free and comes out tops on tests - it's also a little easier to use than Spybot
28/01/2010 at 17:41
Cheers CJBA - have downloaded and installed
28/01/2010 at 18:19

No probs - not a  myself, got it from the Sunday Times 2 + yrs ago - been useful in the past.

Edited for PS

PS, just used it to check out this website, see we're on "Gawjuss-Runners-R-Us.co.uk"

So that's OK then.

Edited: 28/01/2010 at 18:21
28/01/2010 at 21:32
fat buddha wrote (see)
ditch Norton and get something better

Yup, Norton is shite.

I swear by Eset NOD32

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.