Can I have a rant about people lying please!

21 to 40 of 52 messages
08/02/2013 at 18:30
Was it because you fancied her KK? That can be disappointing but you shouldn't have fell for her. Keep it professional!
08/02/2013 at 19:16

I generally don't lie to people, but I do think lying when you're going for a job interview elsewhere is pretty much universal, certainly in the private sector. I don't know about the public sector, I guess you're never really going elsewhere, just a different branch.

kittenkat    pirate
08/02/2013 at 19:18
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
Was it because you fancied her KK? That can be disappointing but you shouldn't have fell for her. Keep it professional!

Na, I've kissed a girl and I liked it, but not this one.

kittenkat    pirate
08/02/2013 at 19:23
MikeFrog wrote (see)

I generally don't lie to people, but I do think lying when you're going for a job interview elsewhere is pretty much universal, certainly in the private sector. I don't know about the public sector, I guess you're never really going elsewhere, just a different branch.

I've never come across this until now, but I've never worked in an office environment until now!

08/02/2013 at 20:20

I think MikeFrog's right KK, it's one of those odd situations where you can't really win either way. If you tell someone and they won't let you have the time off what then? What if you have to go for several interviews?

A the end of the day, if you are looking for another job it's nobody's business but your own and since job interviews are usually held during workng hours there's not much choice unless you can take a day's holiday. 

08/02/2013 at 21:58

A lot of people lie about going for job interviews. It's about the hardest thing to ask for time off for and if the interview is offered at short notice making up a dentist app is probably the most common excuse there is.

I thought employers were legally obliged to let employees have time off to attend interviews.

It's still hard to ask for and if you just want a random day off at short notice without explanation few people are likely to be granted it.

08/02/2013 at 22:16
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
RicF wrote (see)

I guess lying comes to some people as naturally as drawing breath. The difficulty arises when they assume everyone else is lying as well.

I used to work alongside someone and occasionally told them about my running.

I assumed from their responses that this was just normal chat until one day I showed them the result of a marathon where I was the runner up. 

I was astonished when he said he thought I'd just been making all that running stuff up.

What! for two years!

In all honesty Ric I kinda thought you were bullsh..tting too till somebody messaged me to say you were legit ...........

The proof.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/493151/gallery/har3.png?width=350

Edited: 08/02/2013 at 22:23
08/02/2013 at 22:37

Could be the second page for all we know

09/02/2013 at 00:25
popsider wrote (see)

Could be the second page for all we know

I see that he shows the hours, minutes and seconds.... but conveniently cuts off the column that shows the number of days.

09/02/2013 at 05:28

Alas, the result of a poor piece of cropping and re-sizing.

Here's a better version.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/493151/gallery/mara3.png?width=350

As for persistence.

That was the first time I'd ever run against Chris (now a club mate) and until January this year, I'd never beaten him.

The RunBritain rankings now has me 'one' whole place ahead, whey hey!

09/02/2013 at 05:41

Some forms of the truth are on the face of it so unfeasible, that they have to be considered bullshit.

My missus for instance left a small town in New Zealand and came to Britain. It would have easy for her to report back and tell the folks that she'd met, shaken hands and chatted to the late Princess of Wales. Total bull!

Unless!

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/493151/gallery/mum_and_her_mate_di.tif4_0.png?width=350

Proof. Black jacket.

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 05:42
09/02/2013 at 06:30
I've got a guy in my team who is always taking time off at short notice. And each time he gives different excuse and each time I hope it is for an interview and each time he comes back to work and I sit there waiting for him to ask if he can speak to me in private, but it never happens.

Ricf Prince Charles come my school when I was a kid. I can't remember much about it tbh.
seren nos    pirate
09/02/2013 at 08:06

Ric  so some random stranger goes out and shakes the hands of hundreds of people sad enough to stand for hours to see them......and you call that meeting and chatted to someone........

do you think that anything anyone ever says sticks in the mind of the celebrity.......sorry i would be sad to boast about being such a saddo to wait for hours to say hello to a stranger who would not ever remember that they had met me.....a bit like the thousands off groupies who sleep with a rockstar when the rockstar is stoned.........yes a real link to fame......

09/02/2013 at 10:15
SuperCaz wrote (see)

Was she holding out for a permanent job with you?  If so she might have felt that going for interviews elsewhere would be seen as lack of commitment to her current job.

Or would it be that she didn't get paid?  As a temp she probably doens't get much in the way of paid holiday, whereas she probably got paid sick leave or at least dental leave.

Temps are allowed the same statutory paid holiday as permanent employees, ie. 28 days a year.

kittenkat wrote (see)
SuperCaz wrote (see)

Ok, so who hasn't lied to a boss about an interview?

Me actually.

Nor me.  But then I've not had a job interview in 19 years!

kittenkat    pirate
09/02/2013 at 10:56

You know, it's not normally a trait I associate with myself, but I think I've been a bit naive in this situation.

kittenkat    pirate
09/02/2013 at 10:57

Anyone fancy Wimbledon in the summer?

09/02/2013 at 11:02
seren nos wrote (see)

Ric  so some random stranger goes out and shakes the hands of hundreds of people sad enough to stand for hours to see them......and you call that meeting and chatted to someone........

do you think that anything anyone ever says sticks in the mind of the celebrity.......sorry i would be sad to boast about being such a saddo to wait for hours to say hello to a stranger who would not ever remember that they had met me.....a bit like the thousands off groupies who sleep with a rockstar when the rockstar is stoned.........yes a real link to fame......

Its not that big a deal.

It did please her dad back in New Zealand however. It made a few others happy too. 

Good enough for me.

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 11:13
09/02/2013 at 11:04

Wilkie, our temps have to work the days first and build up holiday.  They don't get the full allocation on the day they start like permanent employees.  It makes it difficult for them to take time off in the first few months.  The result is that a lot of our temps end up taking unpaid holiday for the odd day here and there.

09/02/2013 at 15:49

That could actually be against the law, SC.  Employers are not allowed to discriminate against temporary employees - they should have the same terms and conditions as permanent staff. 

Why should temps have to 'earn' their holiday days if permanent staff don't?

kittenkat    pirate
09/02/2013 at 16:00

Wilkie has a point Caz, the temp contract people here have the same rights as we do.

21 to 40 of 52 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.