Can I have a rant about people lying please!

21 to 35 of 35 messages
09/02/2013 at 05:41

Some forms of the truth are on the face of it so unfeasible, that they have to be considered bullshit.

My missus for instance left a small town in New Zealand and came to Britain. It would have easy for her to report back and tell the folks that she'd met, shaken hands and chatted to the late Princess of Wales. Total bull!

Unless!

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/493151/gallery/mum_and_her_mate_di.tif4_0.png?width=350

Proof. Black jacket.

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 05:42
09/02/2013 at 06:30
I've got a guy in my team who is always taking time off at short notice. And each time he gives different excuse and each time I hope it is for an interview and each time he comes back to work and I sit there waiting for him to ask if he can speak to me in private, but it never happens.

Ricf Prince Charles come my school when I was a kid. I can't remember much about it tbh.
seren nos    pirate
09/02/2013 at 08:06

Ric  so some random stranger goes out and shakes the hands of hundreds of people sad enough to stand for hours to see them......and you call that meeting and chatted to someone........

do you think that anything anyone ever says sticks in the mind of the celebrity.......sorry i would be sad to boast about being such a saddo to wait for hours to say hello to a stranger who would not ever remember that they had met me.....a bit like the thousands off groupies who sleep with a rockstar when the rockstar is stoned.........yes a real link to fame......

09/02/2013 at 10:15
SuperCaz wrote (see)

Was she holding out for a permanent job with you?  If so she might have felt that going for interviews elsewhere would be seen as lack of commitment to her current job.

Or would it be that she didn't get paid?  As a temp she probably doens't get much in the way of paid holiday, whereas she probably got paid sick leave or at least dental leave.

Temps are allowed the same statutory paid holiday as permanent employees, ie. 28 days a year.

kittenkat wrote (see)
SuperCaz wrote (see)

Ok, so who hasn't lied to a boss about an interview?

Me actually.

Nor me.  But then I've not had a job interview in 19 years!

09/02/2013 at 11:02
seren nos wrote (see)

Ric  so some random stranger goes out and shakes the hands of hundreds of people sad enough to stand for hours to see them......and you call that meeting and chatted to someone........

do you think that anything anyone ever says sticks in the mind of the celebrity.......sorry i would be sad to boast about being such a saddo to wait for hours to say hello to a stranger who would not ever remember that they had met me.....a bit like the thousands off groupies who sleep with a rockstar when the rockstar is stoned.........yes a real link to fame......

Its not that big a deal.

It did please her dad back in New Zealand however. It made a few others happy too. 

Good enough for me.

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 11:13
09/02/2013 at 11:04

Wilkie, our temps have to work the days first and build up holiday.  They don't get the full allocation on the day they start like permanent employees.  It makes it difficult for them to take time off in the first few months.  The result is that a lot of our temps end up taking unpaid holiday for the odd day here and there.

09/02/2013 at 15:49

That could actually be against the law, SC.  Employers are not allowed to discriminate against temporary employees - they should have the same terms and conditions as permanent staff. 

Why should temps have to 'earn' their holiday days if permanent staff don't?

09/02/2013 at 16:08

I have no idea Wilkie.  Ask the temping agency that pays their wages.

09/02/2013 at 16:43
Temps get the same holiday pay pro rata, so if you temp full time for six months you will get half the annual holiday allowance. If you temp one day a week for 12 months you will get one fifth of the annual holiday allowance as you have worked one fifth of what is required for the full annual holiday allowance.
09/02/2013 at 17:07
Wow Richard Francis. Totally impressed that your missus had her hand shaken by someone. Makes your 2.45 marathon look a bit rubbish ;0)
09/02/2013 at 17:32

Thousands of people met Princess Di and shook her hand. My missus was from a place in NZ where at the time the locals still pointed at cars. So GB Royalty was a big deal, especially as it was 11,000 miles away. People from Warkworth aren't expected to meet the most famous women on the planet.

So I hardly think that Princess Di was just another celeb.

Nothing special in that my missus met Di in such a routine day to day situation.

The bit that's special is that by a sheer utter fluke someone took a picture at just that very moment.

Its having the proof. A nice memento. That's all.

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 17:34
09/02/2013 at 17:35

SC - If temps are employed by an agency, and the agency treats all their staff the same way, that's fair enough.

I thought you meant staff who were employed by you/your employer directly, but on temporary contracts.

However, if an agency temp stays with the same company for more than three months, they become entitled to the same terms and conditions as employees of the company in a comparable job.

09/02/2013 at 17:36
Some people write amazing literature, some people achieve great things(like 2.45 marathons) some people just happen to be shagging the queen's son. Even from Wanksworth that isn't impressive ;0)
seren nos    pirate
09/02/2013 at 17:56

Ric F.you running a good marathon time is something to proud of and boast about.....because you achieved something that is difficult and you worked for it.....

all your wife did was hang around for hours to get a good place and then get some celeb to stop by them.......not exactly something that she had to work for or was anything that everyone else could have done without much effort ......so i can't see it worth being proud or boastful about.......

09/02/2013 at 18:25
kittenkat wrote (see)

The best one for me, way back when I taught PE. A teacher from a neighbouring school phoned in sick and then the whole country watched her when the camera honed in on the crowd at Wimbledon! Busted

Either this is a frequent occurrence or that was my godmother! Did you teach PE in Gloucestershire area, by any chance?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.