Can I have a rant about people lying please!

1 to 20 of 57 messages
kittenkat    pirate
08/02/2013 at 17:26

Ok, I wasn't really asking because I'm going to rant with or without permission.

I've just had a situation at work where someone has been lying about being sick, emergency dental appointments and really they've been to job interviews.

In the situation they are in (temp contract, young, cuckoo living back with parents), I would be worried if that person wasn't looking out for their future, but there was absolutely no reason to lie about it.

cougie    pirate
08/02/2013 at 17:31
Maybe they were worried about their job - some people might get sacked if they went for other job interviews ?
08/02/2013 at 17:33

It can be a bit awkward though discussing going to interviews with your existing employer.

08/02/2013 at 17:35

Was she holding out for a permanent job with you?  If so she might have felt that going for interviews elsewhere would be seen as lack of commitment to her current job.

Or would it be that she didn't get paid?  As a temp she probably doens't get much in the way of paid holiday, whereas she probably got paid sick leave or at least dental leave.

kittenkat    pirate
08/02/2013 at 17:40

I know what you're saying guys but I really took her under my wing, and defended her to my boss when the boss was seriously concerned with her performance. I've never not been supportive or approachable.

kittenkat    pirate
08/02/2013 at 17:42

And actually she wasn't up to the job...

kittenkat    pirate
08/02/2013 at 17:44
SuperCaz wrote (see)

Was she holding out for a permanent job with you?  If so she might have felt that going for interviews elsewhere would be seen as lack of commitment to her current job.

Or would it be that she didn't get paid?  As a temp she probably doens't get much in the way of paid holiday, whereas she probably got paid sick leave or at least dental leave.

She had a 9 month contract and the same holiday as the rest of us pro rata. The bottom line is that job shouldn't be a temp contract, I need someone full time on a permanent basis, but we are public sector workers and you know how that goes...

08/02/2013 at 17:49

Maybe you need to be more objective about people's abilities - to others and to yourself. Then maybe you wouldn't feel so let down. Sounds like it would be better if she found another job asap...

08/02/2013 at 17:51

That's nothing. I had a member of staff who told us she was ill just before Christmas. We found out she was doing shifts in her friend's shop for extra money. My ultimate boss went in and confronted her. Sacked.

08/02/2013 at 18:01

Ok, so who hasn't lied to a boss about an interview?  I know that I've never told mine what I needed the time off for.  Generally I took time off work to have furniture delivered

08/02/2013 at 18:01

Sounds like she's gone already...

kittenkat    pirate
08/02/2013 at 18:05
Peter Everitt wrote (see)

Maybe you need to be more objective about people's abilities - to others and to yourself. Then maybe you wouldn't feel so let down. Sounds like it would be better if she found another job asap...

She has!

kittenkat    pirate
08/02/2013 at 18:06
SuperCaz wrote (see)

Ok, so who hasn't lied to a boss about an interview?

Me actually.

08/02/2013 at 18:06

Yep, I think interviews are a different matter. Theoretically, not good practice; but in practice...

kittenkat    pirate
08/02/2013 at 18:08
Peter Collins wrote (see)

That's nothing. I had a member of staff who told us she was ill just before Christmas. We found out she was doing shifts in her friend's shop for extra money. My ultimate boss went in and confronted her. Sacked.

The best one for me, way back when I taught PE. A teacher from a neighbouring school phoned in sick and then the whole country watched her when the camera honed in on the crowd at Wimbledon! Busted

kittenkat    pirate
08/02/2013 at 18:10
Snap! wrote (see)

Sounds like she's gone already...

Yup, I think her cold will be really bad from here forward.

08/02/2013 at 18:12

That's bad for a teacher. A mate of mine who's from Swansea, who was also a county badminton player, claimed he told his parents he was going to a badminton tournament, only to be shown on TV getting involved in the fighting at that day's Cardiff v Swansea match. I think a bit of embroidering has gone on with that story.

08/02/2013 at 18:20
You need to look out for signs when people are lying. With some people it is when their lips are moving.
08/02/2013 at 18:28
kittenkat wrote (see)

I know what you're saying guys but I really took her under my wing, and defended her to my boss when the boss was seriously concerned with her performance. I've never not been supportive or approachable.

You think she owes you some loyalty - but maybe she doesn't see it that way.   It's understandable you are a bit annoyed if you think she should have trusted you to keep it quiet but it's a fairly small lie and better safe than sorry - if you want to keep something secret then the best policy is to keep it secret - not tell people on condition they don't pass it on.   Sounds like it didn't work anyway.

08/02/2013 at 18:29

I guess lying comes to some people as naturally as drawing breath. The difficulty arises when they assume everyone else is lying as well.

I used to work alongside someone and occasionally told them about my running.

I assumed from their responses that this was just normal chat until one day I showed them the result of a marathon where I was the runner up. 

I was astonished when he said he thought I'd just been making all that running stuff up.

What! for two years!

1 to 20 of 57 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.