Can we all agree...

21 to 40 of 40 messages
kittenkat    pirate
21/03/2013 at 07:09
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Oh please, lets not be quoting Stephen Fry ...... is he still playing on his 'uk's smartest man reputation'? No doubt started by himself ........ self indulgent bore.

Oh God, I used those dots ........again, oh well maybe KK won't notice.

No-one has quoted anyone.

Pudge    pirate
21/03/2013 at 07:51

Oh please, lets not be quoting Stephen Fry ...... is he still playing on his 'uk's smartest man reputation'? No doubt started by himself ........ self indulgent bore.

Interesting.  Kettle, pot and black?

21/03/2013 at 08:22
kittenkat wrote (see)

Did you not see Stephen Fry's wonderful series on language? Words add power or humour when used creatively. I would include swear words in that, they are very emotional words as has been proved in Tourette's research and stroke victims. When spat out 10 a penny, they lose that value, but when used intelligently...

A bad workman blames his tools and all that.

I absolutely agree. I don't think there are "bad" words and "good" words, just words, and we should use as many of them as we can. There's certainly a place for expletives - it all depends on the context.

BTW isn't the word "bloody" derived from "by our lady"? If so it's a curse rather than a swear word and therefore sits alongside something like "damn", or "hell" which I think most people would find fairly tame these days.  

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 08:27
21/03/2013 at 08:50
Fuck me, I've just agreed with Rickster...........................
kittenkat    pirate
21/03/2013 at 08:57

I've just been for a bloody run and bloody wet it was!

21/03/2013 at 09:12
Pudge wrote (see)

Interesting.  Kettle, pot and black?

Dont worry, the irony was definitely deliberate

That seems bloody unlikely.

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 09:14
kittenkat    pirate
21/03/2013 at 09:25

kittenkat    pirate
21/03/2013 at 09:37

I'll whistle.

21/03/2013 at 10:14

When I was about 7 or 8 I was at some school event and parents were there, could have been a sports day or something. So, they're all sat round chatting and I pipe up

"You Old C*nt",

apropos of nothing.

My mother turned white, and looked at me like i'd just started bleeding from the eyes. It took a few seconds before I could explain that I'd just read out some graffiti that was daubed on an outbuilding, and I genuinely had no idea what the word meant. When it became obvious from my reaction that I had just innocently read something verbatim, all the adults calmed down and their expressions became less "be gone with you devil child" and more "aww, bless, he doesn't know what a c*nt is"

21/03/2013 at 10:43

I think that there is a time and a place for everything, even swearing.  But, I will concede that not everyone agrees:

A few years back I got knocked off my bicycle and broke my arm. Whilst I was remonstrating with the moronic driver, my wife just happened to drive past on her way back from work. When she got out of the car she heard me calling the driver a 'stupid c***t'. Who do you think got the earbashing?

My argument is that in this context any swear word(s), however strong, would be appropriate.

21/03/2013 at 10:46

There's some OfCom research into swearing here. If you tarts can't be bloody bothered to wade through all 74 pages of that crap then the table ranking specific swear words is on page 48.

5% rated bloody as Very Severe, 13% rated it as Fairly Severe.

21/03/2013 at 10:54

That looks pretty bloody interesting Tom, I shall give it a proper read later 

21/03/2013 at 11:51

I called my uncle a fat bastard when I was seven or eight. He'd only come to see if I was okay as I was upstairs grumpy in bed (can't remember why).  The shame is still there today.

Looking at that Ofcom report, I'm quite pissed off that Bollocks, bastard and twat are all considered worse than shit. They must have asked a right bunch of cunts.

21/03/2013 at 11:53

It's fifteen years old so thinks may well have shifted since then

21/03/2013 at 12:59

sometimes people are taken aback by the frequent use of the word c*nt in glasgow.

it isn't even an insult anymore. it just means person.

example, I was at a bus stop the other day and the driver shouted at those trying to hurry on board: "haw yous, there are some c*nts trying to get off here!"

kittenkat    pirate
21/03/2013 at 18:09
Tom77 wrote (see)

There's some OfCom research into swearing here. If you tarts can't be bloody bothered to wade through all 74 pages of that crap then the table ranking specific swear words is on page 48.

5% rated bloody as Very Severe, 13% rated it as Fairly Severe.

That is interesting, but it's in a very specific context.

22/03/2013 at 13:46

My mum has had a sheltered life.  

Years ago she went to see the film Billy Elliott.  Afterwards she told me she thought the film was unreaslitic, as nobody swears as much as that. 

I have never sworn in front of her, but I do swear occasionally and I don't think there's anything wrong with it, in its place.

I don't bother with bloody - I agree that is not a swear word any more - but I don't use the C word either!

22/03/2013 at 16:31

Table 15: List of swear words

Very Fairly Quite Not Not Mean Ranking

severe severe mild swearing stated (4 point scale) in 1994

% % % % %

Cunt 81 13 3* *1 *1 3.6 1

Motherfucker 82 13 4 *1 - 3.6 3

Fuck 75 19 5 *1 *1 3.4 1

Wanker 41 34 21 4 * 2.5 4

Bastard 37 34 22 6 *1 2.4 5

Twat 34 22 27 16 *1 2.1 9

Bollocks 32 32 29 6 *1 2.2 8

Prick 31 29 31 7 *1 2.2 6

Shag 31 28 31 10 *1 2.1 *n/a

Arsehole 26 36 31 6 *1 2.1 7

I think the above actually confirms tha tit is the context, as it would appear by adding the word 'mother' to fucker, actually makes it worse than just using the word fuck on its own ... so rather than the word being offensive it seems to be the intent

22/03/2013 at 16:32

oh darn, the bloomin' table didn't print correctly

22/03/2013 at 17:21

interesting ranking, I'd have definitely put a twat above a wanker, and i'd say slag is worse than shag. i don't really recall "motherfucker" as a popular swearword at school in the 80's and early 90's. "fuck" and "shit" were the go-to curses, with the odd "bastard", but i feel that "motherfucker" is a US import.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 40 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.