Can we all agree...

1 to 20 of 26 messages
20/03/2013 at 19:28
Still shows a lack of vocabulary if you have to resort to using it
20/03/2013 at 19:34

I think a lot of words have become almost acceptable now - rightly or wrongly.

20/03/2013 at 19:36
Poor education having to use poor or suspect language....

There really is no need for it
20/03/2013 at 19:51

My mother was always mortified when anyone swore to such an extent that at a family gathering if anyone used any of the words: Bloody, bugger, sod, we would really cop it.

However, she couldn't believe that 'wanker' was a swear word at all.

Rumour has it she had a 'run in' with a well known loud mouth at some meeting and used it to some effect.

20/03/2013 at 20:06

I remember when I was learning to drive telling my parents and elder brother to "Shut the fuck up or you're walking home".  I was getting a lot of conflicting advise on what I should be doing.

Didn't hear a peep out of any of them after that.

20/03/2013 at 20:30

Bloody has become so devalued that my ex almost never used it alone. She would without thinking append "fucking" to "bloody" nearly everytime she used it, presumably to get the level of emphasis she would previously have achieved with "bloody" alone.

For example, upon finding a cat shit upon the front lawn, "That bloody cat!" became "That bloody-fucking cat!"

20/03/2013 at 20:47

i am a great swearer and so is my mum

20/03/2013 at 22:11

I still consider it to be a swear word. As Dave the ex spartan says, it shows a lack of vocabulary.

20/03/2013 at 22:22

Stephen Fry swears - I'd hardly say he's someone with a limited vocabulary!

20/03/2013 at 22:53
I always remember being told that 'its not big or clever to swear', but I would silently add "but sometimes it's bloody funny!"
20/03/2013 at 23:12
Grendel3 wrote (see)

I think a lot of words have become almost acceptable now - rightly or wrongly.

Both of them. 

Pudge    pirate
21/03/2013 at 07:51
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Oh please, lets not be quoting Stephen Fry ...... is he still playing on his 'uk's smartest man reputation'? No doubt started by himself ........ self indulgent bore.

Interesting.  Kettle, pot and black?

21/03/2013 at 08:22
kittenkat wrote (see)

Did you not see Stephen Fry's wonderful series on language? Words add power or humour when used creatively. I would include swear words in that, they are very emotional words as has been proved in Tourette's research and stroke victims. When spat out 10 a penny, they lose that value, but when used intelligently...

A bad workman blames his tools and all that.

I absolutely agree. I don't think there are "bad" words and "good" words, just words, and we should use as many of them as we can. There's certainly a place for expletives - it all depends on the context.

BTW isn't the word "bloody" derived from "by our lady"? If so it's a curse rather than a swear word and therefore sits alongside something like "damn", or "hell" which I think most people would find fairly tame these days.  

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 08:27
21/03/2013 at 08:50
Fuck me, I've just agreed with Rickster...........................
21/03/2013 at 09:12
Pudge wrote (see)

Oh please, lets not be quoting Stephen Fry ...... is he still playing on his 'uk's smartest man reputation'? No doubt started by himself ........ self indulgent bore.

Interesting.  Kettle, pot and black?

Dont worry, the irony was definitely deliberate

That seems bloody unlikely.

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 09:14
21/03/2013 at 10:14

When I was about 7 or 8 I was at some school event and parents were there, could have been a sports day or something. So, they're all sat round chatting and I pipe up

"You Old C*nt",

apropos of nothing.

My mother turned white, and looked at me like i'd just started bleeding from the eyes. It took a few seconds before I could explain that I'd just read out some graffiti that was daubed on an outbuilding, and I genuinely had no idea what the word meant. When it became obvious from my reaction that I had just innocently read something verbatim, all the adults calmed down and their expressions became less "be gone with you devil child" and more "aww, bless, he doesn't know what a c*nt is"

21/03/2013 at 10:43

I think that there is a time and a place for everything, even swearing.  But, I will concede that not everyone agrees:

A few years back I got knocked off my bicycle and broke my arm. Whilst I was remonstrating with the moronic driver, my wife just happened to drive past on her way back from work. When she got out of the car she heard me calling the driver a 'stupid c***t'. Who do you think got the earbashing?

My argument is that in this context any swear word(s), however strong, would be appropriate.

21/03/2013 at 10:46

There's some OfCom research into swearing here. If you tarts can't be bloody bothered to wade through all 74 pages of that crap then the table ranking specific swear words is on page 48.

5% rated bloody as Very Severe, 13% rated it as Fairly Severe.

21/03/2013 at 10:54

That looks pretty bloody interesting Tom, I shall give it a proper read later 

21/03/2013 at 11:51

I called my uncle a fat bastard when I was seven or eight. He'd only come to see if I was okay as I was upstairs grumpy in bed (can't remember why).  The shame is still there today.

Looking at that Ofcom report, I'm quite pissed off that Bollocks, bastard and twat are all considered worse than shit. They must have asked a right bunch of cunts.

1 to 20 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.