Can we all agree...

1 to 20 of 40 messages
kittenkat    pirate
20/03/2013 at 19:21

that bloody isn't a swear word anymore (twas when I was a kid).

I've just heard it on The One Show, so it's demoted to the same level of effectiveness as the word 'nice'.

20/03/2013 at 19:28
Still shows a lack of vocabulary if you have to resort to using it
kittenkat    pirate
20/03/2013 at 19:32

Does it? How so Dave.

20/03/2013 at 19:34

I think a lot of words have become almost acceptable now - rightly or wrongly.

20/03/2013 at 19:36
Poor education having to use poor or suspect language....

There really is no need for it
kittenkat    pirate
20/03/2013 at 19:45

Did you not see Stephen Fry's wonderful series on language? Words add power or humour when used creatively. I would include swear words in that, they are very emotional words as has been proved in Tourette's research and stroke victims. When spat out 10 a penny, they lose that value, but when used intelligently...

A bad workman blames his tools and all that.

20/03/2013 at 19:51

My mother was always mortified when anyone swore to such an extent that at a family gathering if anyone used any of the words: Bloody, bugger, sod, we would really cop it.

However, she couldn't believe that 'wanker' was a swear word at all.

Rumour has it she had a 'run in' with a well known loud mouth at some meeting and used it to some effect.

kittenkat    pirate
20/03/2013 at 19:56
RicF wrote (see)

My mother was always mortified when anyone swore to such an extent that at a family gathering if anyone used any of the words: Bloody, bugger, sod, we would really cop it.

However, she couldn't believe that 'wanker' was a swear word at all.

Rumour has it she had a 'run in' with a well known loud mouth at some meeting and used it to some effect.

Ok, that's funny because I would put wanker on the higher tier to the other words you mentioned. I still remember the first time I properly swore in front of my mum (who has a very posh accent). I had just passed my driving test at 17 and was trying to reverse down the very tight back lane to our house. I got the angle wrong and forgot where I was so 'Fuck it' came out of my mouth; and then a stunned silence because for whatever else i did in my youth which was 100x worse, I never swore in front of my mum.

Her reply...

'Yes, fuck it'

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 19:56
kittenkat    pirate
20/03/2013 at 19:58

was trying to reverse down the very tight back lane to our house

That could be a great euphemism taken out of context.

20/03/2013 at 20:06

I remember when I was learning to drive telling my parents and elder brother to "Shut the fuck up or you're walking home".  I was getting a lot of conflicting advise on what I should be doing.

Didn't hear a peep out of any of them after that.

kittenkat    pirate
20/03/2013 at 20:16

Proving my point Gertie, that emotional words have power when used in the right context. I find language fascinating, it's complex and combined with expression and body language you do get the message and act accordingly.

For example, if a police(wo)man said to you 'Get the fuck out of here' as opposed to 'please move along', you would know that in the first scenario he/she is probably saving your life.

My point is that you wouldn't expect the word fuck to be used by the police when dealing with law abiding citizens so ergo, it's that word that makes the alarm bells ring.

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 20:18
20/03/2013 at 20:30

Bloody has become so devalued that my ex almost never used it alone. She would without thinking append "fucking" to "bloody" nearly everytime she used it, presumably to get the level of emphasis she would previously have achieved with "bloody" alone.

For example, upon finding a cat shit upon the front lawn, "That bloody cat!" became "That bloody-fucking cat!"

kittenkat    pirate
20/03/2013 at 20:44

At least she hasn't upgraded to 'that bloody-fucking-cunt of a cat'.

I do hate the C word and would never type or say it...

Oh wait.

20/03/2013 at 20:47

i am a great swearer and so is my mum

kittenkat    pirate
20/03/2013 at 20:48

My cat that no-one liked except me was called Homer, but my husband felt the need to give him a 'Pedigree' name:

Homerfuckwitfatboythelard

Ironically, he was only a puffafish version of a fake Persion Blue for a very short period of his life, but the name stuck.

kittenkat    pirate
20/03/2013 at 20:49
the dude abides wrote (see)

i am a great swearer and so is my mum

You miss-spelled 'sweater'.

20/03/2013 at 22:11

I still consider it to be a swear word. As Dave the ex spartan says, it shows a lack of vocabulary.

20/03/2013 at 22:22

Stephen Fry swears - I'd hardly say he's someone with a limited vocabulary!

20/03/2013 at 22:53
I always remember being told that 'its not big or clever to swear', but I would silently add "but sometimes it's bloody funny!"
20/03/2013 at 23:12
Grendel3 wrote (see)

I think a lot of words have become almost acceptable now - rightly or wrongly.

Both of them. 

1 to 20 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.