Car hire question

liable or not?

12 messages
05/10/2006 at 09:48
Here's a serious question from me for a change:
In the summer, I rented a car, and while I had it, the windscreen cracked. I took it back to the company right away, and they said "it's fine to drive round like that, we won't replace it". I continued to drive the car for another month.
I returned home, and noticed on my credit card statement, that they've taken out $270 last week, without any word to me. I emailed them, and they said "you broke it, you're liable for the damage. It had to be replaced to pass it safety test".

What do you think? Are they within their rights or should I call the credit card company and tell them it's been taken without my permission?
cougie    pirate
05/10/2006 at 09:52
Hmmm - I had a hire car with work once and on day one a stone chip hit the screen and there was a small crack. But by the end of the week it had grown and clearly the whole screen needed replacing.
So its possible that the crack was fine when you left it, but did get bigger after. (although a month would probably have done that anyway).

You probably are liable for the damage - did you take out any cover with them ?
05/10/2006 at 09:55
no, the crack was huge when I was there..but they said it didn't need replacing!
I did have CDW insurance, but this is below the excess (that's how they keep the insurance costs down I guess)
05/10/2006 at 09:55
If it was a new car (and as a hire car the assumtion is it was) and teh crack was not caused by damage (eg stone chip) then the crack is probably due to a manufaturing fault and will be replaced FOC under warrenty (Citroen were notorious for cracking screens a few years ago).

If the crack was caused by damage though then you will be liable I'm afraid.
cougie    pirate
05/10/2006 at 09:58
Sounds like the hire place didnt know what they were talking about then - see here :

http://www.kwik-fit.com/mot-general.asp

If the crack was over 40mm then the screen would need replacing.
05/10/2006 at 10:15
I forgot to say..it was in the US. Certainly not a new car, as the company rent junkers to windsurfers so we can fill them with sand.
05/10/2006 at 11:18
Surfy dude.

Same principle still aplies. If it was an accident it's your fault (stone chip, someone dancing on it or whatever). If teh crack just appeared then it's not but you'd stuggle to prove it just appeared on an old car.

FWIW I would pull the ccard authorisation and see if tehy fight you for it, but it may cost you more in teh long run (small print, T&Cs etc)
IronCat5    pirate
10/06/2012 at 22:17

Unfortunately if it cracked whilst you had it, you've had it.

10/06/2012 at 23:04

Beware, another spammer resurrecting an old thread.

12/06/2012 at 10:45

Damn, i do it everytime, i read all the way through then realise the thread is out of date.

cougie    pirate
12/06/2012 at 11:26

Me too - but nice to hear from a 6 year younger version of myself !

12/06/2012 at 11:44

You haven't changed a bit Cougie.  Ah, the wonders of avatars.

I pranged a hire car when I was on holiday in Corsica and it cost more than the feckin' holiday.  Bloody typical - I spent the whole week moaning about how bad Corsican drivers are, then scraped the wheel arch against a stationary coach when we were five miles away from the airport to get home.

ARSE!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.