Car question - tyres

21 to 34 of 34 messages
27/02/2013 at 16:46
Tom77 wrote (see)

Cost me £764 for 4 or them, fitted.

nearly £200 a tyre - for a car???  fuck me - the 4 for my motorhome was £500 fitted and they are much bigger and less common than car tyres!

27/02/2013 at 16:59
And what did they cost on the EOS ? You can't compare a truck to a car
27/02/2013 at 17:58

never replaced them on the EOS.....

27/02/2013 at 18:01
You didn't flog it cos the ashtrays were full did you ?
27/02/2013 at 18:16

of course - and the windscreen needed cleaning...

we sold it a couple of years ago now - it sat on the drive most of the time depreciating and costing me insurance so it had to go.

we've upgraded the motorhome though....  

27/02/2013 at 18:59
One of my best mates has just bought a huge motor home They are driving it to Dubrovnik for my daughters wedding in August, I'm as jealous as hell....
27/02/2013 at 19:09

Bookie, as you are doing a lot of miles it is worth spending on tyres, but you don't need to go as expensive as Pirelli, Bridgestone etc

think yourself lucky that you have a choice.  There aren't any cheap brands of my tyres

28/02/2013 at 09:16

Your tyres are what connect you to the road, so it's worth buying the best ones that your budget allows.

28/02/2013 at 09:50

i get alot of people come into my garage and ask for "black and round" costing about £40 each.

then 1-2000 miles later they are noisey and out of shape!! they come back and complain that we supplied shit tyres 

trust me on this one, buy DECENT tyres, unless you like the scenery of inside hedges and fields.

top rated tyres at the moment are:

1. michelin (unless you want to feel vialated dont buy these)
  2. continental/bridgestone
  3. pirelli (very hard wearing, in my opinion)
  4. hankook
  5. khumo
  6. budget ranges! examples are: sunny, $%^& names you cant read etc!
hope this helps 
28/02/2013 at 10:47

Just noticed that tyres now have EU ratings (wet grip, fuel efficiency, noise), that ought to make things easier.

Of the tyres I could get for my car, Michelin, Good Year, Continental and Khumo all get A for wet grip. Of those the Khumo is easily the cheapest, but they're also the loudest tyre by far.

28/02/2013 at 13:28

I've been looking at getting Khumo, but I'm not sure I like the thought of very noisy tyres... Urgh, this is unnecessarily complicated! 

28/02/2013 at 20:14

Ive got michellin and pirelli. One of the best in my opinion, quiet and strong!

my web: www.stickersshop.co.uk

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 20:14
Dark Vader    pirate
28/02/2013 at 20:51

I have a Mini and that came with Dunlop run-flats from new...  until recently (last month) I had always replaced tyres with the Dunlops..    they lasted about 25,000 miles on the front, longer on the back, and cost about £175 to £185 each, depending on where I got them.

The car is high mileage and has now done 165,000 miles (5.5 years old), so I've been through quite a lot of tyres.   I have just changed the tyres to Pirelli run-flats of identical size as an exercise to see if they last any better.  The Pirelli's were only slightly cheaper than the Dunlops...   its too early to say yet whether they will last any longer.

04/03/2013 at 08:55
fat buddha wrote (see)

don't ever go with 2nd hand tyres for the reasons given

remoulds can be fine but you need to buy from a reputable source

frankly, I'd always go new and get a tyre that's suitable for the vehicle's speed rating.

Remoulds are to British Standards now, but I guess some dodgey ones do sneak through
I used to use Colway on my Discovery (& 110CSW - 235/85 x 16), I sold the Discovery with 35,000 miles on the Colways (235/70 x 16) & they were a lot less than half worn

Plus, last September I changed the front tyres on my Octavia estate, the original Dunlops had covered almost 33,000 miles, & still had about 3 mm left
Not too bad for a heavy front-wheel-drive diesel!

As for the Speed-Rating, please make sure that you buy tyres that at least equal the car manufacturers fitments.

Strictly speaking, even allowing for the 70MPH limit in this country, if a car has a top speed of (say?, the 'gentlemans agreement' figure) 155MPH, the tyres must have a higher speed rating than this

If not, it could be seen as a 'get out clause' by an insurance company, as the vehicle's not deemed (in their) eyes to be road-legal
Especially if you do not inform them that you have made a change from the manfacturers specification, by lowering the rating of the tyres

Silly, given our speed limits, but that's the way it is.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.