Carlos Santana

Where did it all go wrong?

1 to 20 of 26 messages
09/11/2002 at 16:22
35 years. 1 trick. Tedious. Jeez, Hank Marvin's had more changes of direction than the moustachio-d one.!

This is the man responsible for one of the greatest ever Albums, Abraxas and who gave us the awsome Samba Pa Ti. he even managed to turn a Fleetwood Mac song into a thing of beauty.

And whats he doing now? Going through the same old tired licks for a procession of ever more anonymous whey-faced American songstresses.

One good song in 20 years, count 'em, one! Blues the Healer. And that was John Lee Hooker's song!

In terms of effort, he really is the Rik Waller of rock.

So here's a plea. Carlos, buy a new guitar. Preferably one that doesnt make that diddle-diddle-diddle-dee sound. Write some more new songs, get the old band back together and no more collaberations purleeeease! Not unless you can coax the mighty Morrissey out of retirement.

Thanks for listening URWFRC. I knew you'd understand. I'll go back to "General" now. They're due a new thread on HRM's soon and I dont want to miss out on the excitement. hey-ho.
09/11/2002 at 16:43
Chimp, I agree! I was a huge Carlos fan as a young man but while I've changed he certainly doesn't seem to have. Is he really just doing it for the money?
09/11/2002 at 16:46
yes
09/11/2002 at 17:06
Ditto.
New riffs would be nice...
09/11/2002 at 17:14
Shave & a haircut wouldn't be bad either.
09/11/2002 at 17:43
To remember Carlos in his pomp you would have to be nearer 50 than 40.....
bit of a silverback are we Chimp?
09/11/2002 at 17:51
Abraxas? One of the greatest ever albums? Well I have to take issue with that, although it's all subjective, I s'pose.

And it was Peter Green who performed the 'Mac song on the album.

BTW am seeing young Mr Green and John Mayall in their reunion gig next week - wonder whether Clapton, Beck and Page will turn up as well for old times sake?
09/11/2002 at 18:14
Peter Green wrote it as well. To be fair Fleetwood Mac weren't too bad in those days.

John Mayall! Now you're talking! "Have You Heard" I wont say any more though, I think RoboKidney's rumbled me. I'm still seen as a bit of a young stud in Beginners and General, but I think my cover's blown now. Where are you seeing them and do you know if they're playing anywhere near Leeds? Now thats when Clapton really WAS God.
Psi
09/11/2002 at 18:19
Dee, dee, di, dee, diddly, dee dee
Widdle WEEEEEEEEEeeeeEEEEEEEEE, widdleeee,
WahWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhwiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlydiddlydeeee
Widdle-de DEEEE dedede dededededededededwiddly!

:)
09/11/2002 at 18:35
I'm seeng them in Chatham next Friday - the current 11 gig tour is only in the South East - furthest north is Cambridge!!

That was when Clapton was so fast he was dubbed 'slowhand'.

Not being a virgin, I don't go into 'Beginners' anymore - it don't seem right for an old seadogg to go kerb krawling round there.
09/11/2002 at 18:36
Thats not Carlos Santana Psi, that John McLaughlin of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. An easy mistake to make though since he did make a record with Santana."Love , Peace and Fartleks" I think it was called. A double album, though they all were in those days (sleeve by Hipgnosis). See Carlos was doing collaberations even then!
09/11/2002 at 18:40
I didn't get into Santana until I saw Soul Sacrifice in the film Woodstock - trouble was, they never bothered touring in the UK till very much later, so my interest in them drifted, and I got into Osibisa instead (Criss Cross Rhythms which explode with 'Appiness!)
BK
09/11/2002 at 22:25
Got 27 Cd's by the great man and saw him cry at the Fillmore May 19th 1995 on return to his first haunt when on my honeymoon in SF. Try track 9 of the new album. EC... Edge of Darkness eat your heart out.

Just for arguements sake I'm a fan of Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac as well. Snoop Dogg don't get on your musical high horse without choosing a name a little more musically gifted!
10/11/2002 at 11:22
Cambridge!!! thats in the tropics isnt it!!?? From Leeds anyway.

BTW C'mon you Super Whites. I reckon either Glenn Roeder or Venables will out of a job bu Friday. Please God let it be Venables! So, C'mon you irons!
10/11/2002 at 19:17
Bloody hell! What a wrinkly thread! I saw John Mayall with a cherub-faced Mick Taylor - how ancient does that make me?
10/11/2002 at 19:26
Totally agree little feat....Carlos who?....before my time. You are showing your age boyz!
10/11/2002 at 19:27
BK, you havent even been married as long as me??
Like Stevie ray Vaughan, myself
10/11/2002 at 20:02
Little Feat
saw you on tour years ago before you was killed -is you a ghost?
10/11/2002 at 21:31
27 cd's!! you could have bought the compleat video collection of Barbara Windsor films for that!

...on second thoughts, I think maybe I would have preferred the latter.
BK
10/11/2002 at 21:46
Doesn't surprise me at all Snoop.

Big t1ts and no class!
1 to 20 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.