Centre Parcs - which one?

Going to book soon and need to know where to go

21 to 36 of 36 messages
10/11/2008 at 12:05

I've been to Sherwood twice now and it's a great holiday - there me and the wife, our kids (5 and 3), and my brother and sister and their spouses (spice?!) in an 8-berth chalet.

We'll be going to Elveden next year, as it works a little better for everyone to travel to.

My wife and sister have been to Longleat and reckon the rapids there are better, but it's more spread out (although there is a little road train to get you around).

And I think Longleat is more covered in the centre than Sherwood.

But they're all probably equal unless there's one specific feature you value.

cougie    pirate
10/11/2008 at 13:05
Oh if theres any activity that you really want to do - its prob best to book in advance - you can do it online - if you wait til you get there - then its probably full.
10/11/2008 at 13:23

Check the CenterParcs web site for offers. We booked for Longleat in May (to go in June) last year and got 20% the accommodation price.

First time and really enjoyed it. It was a bit hilly but they do run a land train as well.

10/11/2008 at 13:23
and have your swimming gear handy when you arrive, so you've got something to do before you're allowed in to the chalet.
cougie    pirate
10/11/2008 at 13:30
Oh and you can stay in the pool on the day you go as well - give you a bit extra time if you're in no rush to get home.
11/11/2008 at 06:57
D74 wrote (see)

Right, the man that knows, he says - whichever is cheaper.  They are all the same.  The only thing he suggested was that if you have little kids and are likely to be cycling, then the lakes one is a bit hillier, and so may be a bit of a struggle.  Mansfield (ahem, sorry, Sherwood Pines) is flatter and so easier. 

The Mansfield is a bit more 'village' like, the lakes is more of a single complex with everything in the bubble. 

If you listen to Mr 74 and come to Mansfield you are about 8 miles out, Sherwood Pines is about 2 miles away by car, I think you can access it directly on the bike though. Edwinstowe is a similar distance.

I've lost count of the number of times I get asked for directions to the place, do they not provide directions ??

If you do go to Sherwood Park, please don't arrive between 2 and 3pm as you will be getting in my way on the A614 and my boss will have to pay overtime (which he doesn't like).

Ta !!

11/11/2008 at 07:29

cougie - yup, agree with that as well.

Maybe we should set up 'CP Consulting' to help first-timers...

cougie    pirate
11/11/2008 at 11:16
ooh that could be a nice lil' earner eh ?

Apparently quite a high proportion of first timers think that the Dome goes all over the forest too.

I'd be quite happy to live in a CP stylee community. Quiet roads for walking/cycling - and everyone parks on the outside. It'd be like living in the 50s again ! Quiet roads.
11/11/2008 at 11:26

I'm a Center Parcs addict as well, been 4 times in the last 5 years (every December as work is quiet then).  Personally, I didn't enjoy the Whinfell one as much as I found less to do there, and the massive journey didn't help.

Been to Elveden 3 times, and really enjoyed it, but will try one of the others next time.....

11/11/2008 at 13:47
It certainly seems as if we are doing the right thing heading for our first CP holiday.  Just need to get the darn thing booked now.  Fortunately we are fully flexible with times of year.
11/11/2008 at 18:19
I've thought about what it would be like to live in a Center Parc when retired. Pretty good lifestyle, I reckon (but I'd leave to do my grocery shopping).
11/11/2008 at 18:21
Oh yes, that's another tip (which seems obvious when you know) - take as much food as you can. The on-site shop (certainly at Sherwood) is very well-stocked but not the cheapest.
11/11/2008 at 18:25

Littlest was conceived in Longleat

I can recommend it

11/11/2008 at 18:36

You should have called him Longleat after where the conception was like Brooklyn Beckham.

I have a son called Pontins and a daughter called Layby off M6.

11/11/2008 at 18:37
He's Villa 374
11/11/2008 at 18:39
Haha, I hope I don't get that one when I go next month! I won't be able to sleep now!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.