Chicago Tribune.

Quality research again...

21 to 25 of 25 messages
14/10/2002 at 09:43
There's still time BK .. still time!
14/10/2002 at 10:25
I think the eccentric bit is them not understanding that you can be pleasant and polite and win. There seems to be the feeling that you have to be nasty to win - as in criminal world heavyweight champions and extremely rude Tennis players (He's on BBC now but I guess Anne Robinson set the precedent for behaviour there). Most American sportpeople are vastly overpaid and maybe they are still smarting from losing the Ryder Cup. On a positive note it was good to see that it is not jus tthe British media that don't know how to report Athletics.
WildWill    pirate
14/10/2002 at 10:36
Ah – we Brits also won at that wonderful sport of conkers at the weekend :o)
14/10/2002 at 10:49
And we are also of course the Extreme Ironing champions!

From what I read in the article it was all about Paula's wobbly head and how all you can see when she is running is the whites of her eyes. I agree that it was unnecessary, but I don't think it was meant as a particular slur on Paula, but as has already been said - she doesn't need packaging in that way.

Having said that I've seen plenty of American and other sprinters make odd faces before and after the sprints.

Wonder what the press said today! If she made that comment about needing the loo on American TV then I expect they'll be talking about that!

What amuses me is that she could have taken a toilet break (wonder what the lead bike does then?) and still broken the world record!!!

Iain
14/10/2002 at 11:40
Catherine McKiernan did a No.2 in her shorts when she won London (98?) as did Grete Waitz when wining in New York a few years ago, while Steve Jones had the good grace to stop along the Embankment to do his stuff when winning London in 1985.

eeek!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.