Chicken keepers of the world unite

Well there's a thread for puppies......

21 to 40 of 105 messages
17/05/2011 at 23:11
http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/238365/gallery/img_3395.jpg?width=350&height=233&mode=max

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/238365/gallery/chickens_1a.jpg?width=233&height=350&mode=max

Well, I don't have microsoft picture editor. I've tried the camera software and I think I've got the image small enough.I don't know why the text moved! Thanks for the help.

Edited: 17/05/2011 at 23:12
17/05/2011 at 23:18

Beautiful hens Johnny. Assuming you reside in the country as you have a cockerel. My girls make enough noise way to early, and keep the neighbours on one side happy by giving them eggs. The neighbours on the other side have chooks too, so we are BEST of friends!
17/05/2011 at 23:25

Thanks Hope. Yes we are in a village with several other chickens around the village. The boys enjoy calling to each other. I don't tend to notice too much, but father - in - law said that the cock started at 4.30 and crowed over 100 times before he lost count! Your girls look like they have a pretty luxurious life!

We have a fox problem too, but having two labradors free in the garden means that we have only lost one hen to foxes in seven years.

17/05/2011 at 23:32

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/238365/gallery/img_2286a.jpg?width=350&height=233&mode=max

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/238365/gallery/img_1977.jpg?width=233&height=350&mode=max

The advantage of having a cockerel.

17/05/2011 at 23:40

Okay - think Johnny is winning the cute factor!
18/05/2011 at 02:32
I want chickens but the wife says no! I used to love collecting eggs on my aunties farm as a child to have for breakfast.
18/05/2011 at 07:20

Those chicks are so cute.

And thats a mighty fine chicken house you've got there hope to.  Does anyone else use the standard run that comes with the eglu? I hope my ladies will be okay in there when we are out. 

Dark Vader    pirate
18/05/2011 at 07:39

Did any of you have a red mite problem last summer..?    We had a bad infestation and I had to totally dismantle the coop, hose it down twice and spray every teeny weeny part of it with red mite spray..  they are nasty little things...

Lovely cute little chicks..   but, does having a cockeral mean you can't eat any eggs..?   How does that work..?

Edited: 18/05/2011 at 07:40
18/05/2011 at 09:36
Dark Vader wrote (see)

Lovely cute little chicks..   but, does having a cockeral mean you can't eat any eggs..?   How does that work..?

I've never really got my head round the whole chicken and egg thing full stop.  If you feed them corn, how do they produce enough protein to lay eggs every single day?!

<hangs around to learn more about chickens and stuff>

18/05/2011 at 12:01

Dark Vader - the red mite situation wasn't too bad, but there again, we had a cool summer.

And having a cockerel doesn't affect the eating quality of the eggs, the embryo only develops if the egg is incubated. If you keep the egg cool (not in the fridge) it is still fine to eat after four or five weeks, whereas an incubated egg hatches in 21 days.

PhilPub - I actually feed layers pellets, most blends contain soya. Corn does contain protein, of course, it is whole grain. Chickens aren't herbivores - given the chance they will feast on worms, beetles, mice etc. Mine free range so I'm sure that a lot of their protein is caught this way.

18/05/2011 at 14:50

Soup Dragon - I love my walk in run. It has a roof so very little weather gets in, and its very roomy for 4 chickens. Because it is on slabs the base stays nice and dry and I just sweep up the bedding. Also felt that I could not be bothered to drag the eglu run around and that it would knacker the grass. Mine also get out every day for a jog around, but actually saw Mr Fox in the garden last night at around 6pm.

20/05/2011 at 23:24

Evening all.  Chickens were let out of the pen for a roam round the garden for the first time today.  Well 2 of them did but one still too nervous.  The white one didn't want to go back and hopped onto Mr Soup's knee and started to settle down for the night on his lap!  Wasn't happy at all to go back behind bars. 

Still no eggs.

21/05/2011 at 09:46
Took a few weeks for ours to start laying so relax Soup Dragon, it will happen.

Did your girls come from Omlet.
Edited: 21/05/2011 at 09:47
21/05/2011 at 12:49

Not from Omlet hope, from a chicken farm near Guilford.  They were very helpful and clipped the wings and everything.  All 3 are now happily pecking round the garden.  I'll take some  better photos over the weekend.  Can't believe how restful they are to have around -  but the flowers and getting eaten.

21/05/2011 at 12:57
Your garden will get trashed Soupy if you allow them to free range everywhere. You will end up with no flowers, and big bowls where the lawn used to be where they create dust bowls. I bought some of the chicken fenching from omlet and they can range in/out of their run and up the side of the garden. They seem very happy with that!

My girls came from Southmead Poultry in Leatherhead, and they were a really good price. Warrens are £10.00, and think I paid £12.00 each for the other 3.

I love watching the girls. Wait until one finds a worm and then legs it, and the others will run like mad things trying to take it off her.

By the way, we have met, fairly sure I shouted hi to you when we were on the first lap around the park at the Brighton Marathon this year.
Edited: 21/05/2011 at 12:58
21/05/2011 at 13:24
I did Brighton yes!  And somebody did say hi on the first lap.  I was walking up the hill.  Hi again!!
21/05/2011 at 13:25

That was me!
21/05/2011 at 21:49

I'll have to work on uploading pictures  We have 5 hens and 1 cockerel, in a covered in run we call Cluckingham Palace.  They have an Eglu Cube, but the run gives them lots of freedom and they are protected from foxes - we've lost two lots in the past, one in winter, one in summer, each time during the day. 

They are allowed out of the run when we are in the garden, but don't seem very inclined to wander far, although they do like grubbing about in the orchard for bugs.  They love this time of year, as they get the corpses of the mice the cats kill, which they can't eat them fast enough!  They somehow manage to eat them whole.

22/05/2011 at 08:28

Hi Rosemary, look forward to seeing your pics of Cluckingham Palace!

I saw that tv show the other day 'The private life of chickens', and on there they had a chicken eating a mouse - yuck.

Took me for ever to decide between the Cube and the Eglu, in fact, I changed my mind the day before delivery, and Omlet were excellent.
23/05/2011 at 20:45

Cluckingham Palace - love it!   Ours only go in the garden when we are around and its not big enough to fence off anything so we'll just put up with a trashed garden.  They've been going mad chasing midges the last couple of days.  We had a neighbour from across the fence come running round to us last night to warn us about a fox in her garden - she was so worried, bless. They've become very popular.

Got our first egg today.  Only one, so we are waiting for another so we can both indulge in a poached egg delight together.

21 to 40 of 105 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.