Choose a job you love,

and you will never have to work a day in your life.

21 to 40 of 53 messages
PloddingOn    pirate
15/10/2010 at 15:00

You can either love your job and work with the worst people on the planet, or you can hate your job but love the people OR you can enjoy your job a bit and enjoy the people you work for...

I am the latter. 

It's good.

15/10/2010 at 16:52

I genuinely enjoy the majority of my job (I envy the person who enjoys every minute of theirs).  There are parts I hated, but most of these I have delegated elsewhere now.

I work for myself, do as much or as little as I want, have decent family time in between, and it pays well.  I would like to think what I do is worthwhile and helps people as well. 

Despite all of this, I'm not sure if I would do it all again if I started afresh.  Given the amount of time I have studied, had stress to get here etc, I would probably have joined the army when I was younger.  It is one of my regrets.  Oh well.........

15/10/2010 at 21:54
Interesting thread. I've always felt it's not a good idea to try and get a job that's based on your hobby, because I reckon you need some variety in your life. That way, if one of the bits of your life is going pear-shaped, you can always 'escape' to another (eg going for a run if you've had a crap day at work). Same logic suggests not working with your nearest and dearest. But I'd be interested in hearing people who make it work.
15/10/2010 at 22:26

I love my "actual" job as a manager in a construction company and all the challenges it brings and the company I work for are second to none. I will probably retire here!

However, I leave every morning at 6:45 and get home about the same time in the evening.

My work therefore does take a lot out of me as person, so I don't "love it" as a whole package!

In essence then, work / life balance is sometimes better than doing a job you love, especially if you are a young Mum?

15/10/2010 at 22:38

I am under-utilised and bored in my job.  I did a couple of stints of voluntary work (outside work time) which got me quite a few interviews but not that elusive offer.  Not seeing those jobs come up in the current work climate so nothing to go for at the moment but still looking.  The problem now is that the voluntary work was a few years ago and I need to do another stint probably.

I do feel a bit lost and have fairly low esteem because I've been in low-paid, drudgy work all my life.  Everywhere I've worked, colleagues (and friends outside work) say they can't believe I'm not in a more exciting and better-paid role where I can use my brain, skills and general life experience.  The problem is my qualifications and lack of ability to sell myself don't reflect how able and adaptable I am to new roles.

Good luck Nessie, Hash, Jeepers and all the other people looking for a change/new challenge.  I hope we all get there.

Edited: 15/10/2010 at 22:39
16/10/2010 at 10:03
Running Kev wrote (see)

In essence then, work / life balance is sometimes better than doing a job you love, especially if you are a young Mum?

Agreed on the work/life balance thing - which is why this is more planning for a possible future change rather than a current change.

ROFL at the "young Mum" thing - I'm a Mum to a young child, but I'm a <cough> more mature Mum.  Still more than 20 years to retirement though.................

16/10/2010 at 10:24

its a very individual thing the work/life/enjoyment balance thing. things shift over the years too depending on current committments and family situations.  

im fortunate that i have a job i love and have rarely felt that 'hate it and dont want to go today' feeling. i work with lovely people whom ive known some of for many years so we have the 'nostalgia' chats about how various thngs within the job have changed(with much amusement smetimes). i have however had peaks and troughs where having left for a brief spell on maternity leave found i was 'out of the loop' and almost a sense of demotion.  this was partly due to reduced work hours because of having a babyto look after too but as running kev said , sometimes the  importance of being at home with a child outweighs the importance of how you are feeling at work at that time...gradually as they get older things get back to normal and i found over time i was 'reinstated' so to speak

having said that despite the job i have and love id really like to have my own business selling childrens clothes online...maybe my new year challenge!

parklife, be confident and oush yourself forward if you want to do it- someone can only say no!!

16/10/2010 at 10:48

They bloody well have Loulabell - loads of times.  Always the bridesmaid is the phrase that springs to mind in terms of what interviewers have told me over the years.  The amount of times I've been told I was the second choice for a post but the other person had more experience .....

Thanks for the encouragement tho'.  I'll try to push on.  

16/10/2010 at 10:52
aw, that is a pain in the arse when you KNOW you are better at a job that someone else thats doing it!! grrr!! a friend of mine was an assistant manager  at a retail shop for years when in actual fact she had been doing the managers job for bloomin ages far better thatn he was!! ij the end she kept getting over looked, told them to sod off, (in a more polite way) and got another job in a shop few doors away as manager- she said ahe wished she had done it years before!!
16/10/2010 at 11:16

I don't know if Id've been better Loulabell but I only go for jobs I really want, so would've given it everything if Id've been given the chance.  I had lots of enthusiasm but this has been ground away a bit over the years.  I've been ready to throw myself into jobs, only to fall at the last hurdle and an employer's then lost out on an eager, enthusiastic and hard-working employee and I'm back to square 1.

Ho hum.  Onwards.

Separately, I've been shocked at appointments where I currently work.  Panels have appointed people into roles which they blatantly can't cover.  How can they not see this when it's obvious to us 'coal face' workers?  They've wasted lots of money on people who I can only guess talked the talk at interview but couldn't walk the walk and went off long-term sick with stress.

16/10/2010 at 11:47

Parklife - I am in exactly the same popsition. i am looking for another job right now. i have had a few interviews from the numerous jobs that I've applied for - though it seems some are out of the frying pan into the fire.

Where I work - the staff are great and the service users are great, I wouldn't want to change them - it's my actual job. It's boring, dead end, does not challenge me nor does it provide any scope for growth - movement etc. I've just stagnated over the past 3 years. I do exactly the same thing every day, down to having the same conversations - literally. It gets you down after a while and I find it hard to be cheery every morning. I'm bored and I want my life to be better. I like the money but it's not reward enough. I want to feel like I'm doing something for me as well, which I'm not.

Yeah - undervalued and underused sums it up. you sound a lot like me.

16/10/2010 at 11:53

Nearly exactly like me BM!  Inc working with great people and great service users.  However, money's not great and I can't actually afford to live independently (renting cheap room off mate at the moment) which I find v difficult and a bit scary in terms of my future.

We need to have a RW careers convention!

16/10/2010 at 13:58

Parky, I'm the same re bridesmaid thing.  I've just applied for 6 LSA jobs (all supporting statemented children or those on the autistic spectrum), been called for 6 interviews, been told at every single one that I gave the best overall interview, BUT I don't have sufficient recent classroom experience.  Which they will have known from my CV. . .

I know that I could do every one of those jobs, but I haven't been given the chance, because they'd rather take a risk with someone who ticked less boxes but who has been doing a similar job than someone who (according to the feedback) ticked more of the boxes, but "might" take longer to settle in.  I've got a brain, 3 (so they told me) glowing references (one I've read as it was given to my by the Head of the last place where I volunteered, years ago, and I used it) yet still not good enough to get the jobs. 

And while none of them would be prepared to give me the role on a paid basis, they'd all be more than happy for me to work there, full-time, for nothing, just so I can get this "experience".

I was completely financially independent when I met the ex, gave it all up due to his work commitments.  Had the children, then he b*ggers off, leaving me now, at my age, being turned down for jobs (that pay less than a cleaner) while trying to find the means and wherewithal to support us in the future when maintenance payments stop.

Sorry, rant over, just makes me

16/10/2010 at 15:38

That's what I did my voluntary experience in Jeepers, supporting statemented kids and helping them re-engage with education.

Often interviews have to be judged as' what do they want to hear?' instead of 'what passion,  commitment, experience, common sense and good judgement can I bring to the role?'  A lot of organisations are going to have to change the way they recruit - there are a lot of hapless, incapable tw&ts out there working with vulnerable people when they are not capable - accidents waiting to happen you could say.  It's not just in that sector either.  Jeepers - things have to change, surely?

16/10/2010 at 16:10

Well, you'd like to think so, Parky, but bringing up my two (both autistic) and seeing the lack of support everywhere, coupled with the ConDems cuts etc, I have serious doubts.

It all boils down to money.

I learnt - from one very frank head - that the main reason why my lack of experience mattered was because of budget cuts. If I had been appointed, no matter how excellent I might have been, I would not (legally) be able to take the class when the teacher was on non-contact time, so the school would have had to have paid for a supply teacher to provide cover.  If they have an LSA even with minimal level of experience, then the school could get away with using the LSA to provide the cover, thus saving the expense of a supply teacher.

As you say, it's a question of giving the answers that they want to hear, and I did.  But I don't have the experience, so, to be quite honest, all of the interviews were a complete waste of time as I was never going to get any of the jobs because of this. 

Talk about Catch 22.

16/10/2010 at 16:16
well where I work I only like a few of the workers there is a north/south divde my ideal job would be to work in one of the shops at Lands end or monkey world
16/10/2010 at 16:17
I currently work at 2012 - I love it. I don't think about having to get up each day and go to work so for that am very lucky. I've never been driven by money and have always enjoyed what I do - sadly though it means I've never accrued much money, although day to day I certainly enjoy myself and am never short for what I like doing...

I have lived with the attitude that there is one life only - I enjoy it and when I've had enough of something, I change it! It's only me to think of though so it makes it easy.

Good luck in finding what makes you happy.
16/10/2010 at 21:03

I have a simple structure to my days... go into work, fuel up for my lunchtime run, recover, fuel up, and prepare for my evening run.

I find the 8hours at my desk at work are a great way to fuel and recover for the running, the real work of the day

You can drive yourself mad in office type situations, comparing yourselfs to everyone else, but at the end of the day if you are doing the things you want to do outside of work it doesn't matter.

I always wonder if being a fitness instuctor or something linked to running would actually be a good idea, or would end up with the actual running becoming a chore! Maybe the last thing you would want to do after training people all day is actually anything active yourself

17/10/2010 at 07:56
Stevie G . wrote (see)

You can drive yourself mad in office type situations, comparing yourselfs to everyone else, but at the end of the day if you are doing the things you want to do outside of work it doesn't matter.

Love that.

It's like I keep telling myself when I'm there - this is not my life, it's just the thing I have to do for 8 hours a day to finance it.

17/10/2010 at 08:34
Stevie G . wrote (see)
I always wonder if being a fitness instuctor or something linked to running would actually be a good idea, or would end up with the actual running becoming a chore! Maybe the last thing you would want to do after training people all day is actually anything active yourself

I have a friend who got his dream job running a motorcycle dealers as he loves bikes.

After 20years of working them now though he no longer rides as I think work has taken his enjoment of bikes away.

21 to 40 of 53 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.