Choosing to live alone.

How many people actually DO choose it?

18 messages
27/08/2012 at 20:56

I think that often circumstances might force you to live on your own initially, but then people find that they enjoy having their own space.  I know some long term couples (10 years or more) who are very happy not living together.

27/08/2012 at 22:08

I'm with Eric Carmen on this.

27/08/2012 at 22:43

I would love to live on my own, but I can't afford it. I'm not in a relationship though.

28/08/2012 at 10:57
I know that feeling supercaz.. *sigh*
28/08/2012 at 11:02

I've lived on my own for two periods of my life - in my teens/early twenties, and then again when my marriage broke down.

I didn't even consider moving back to my Mum's, and wouldn't have shared with anyone in a flat/house share or similar.

I now live with my Squeeze - he's the only person I'd consider sharing with

28/08/2012 at 14:11

I dream of living on my own - but then I have got a teenager and a grumpy husband in the house..

28/08/2012 at 14:11

couldnt do without my dog though

28/08/2012 at 14:18

in many ways i'd prefer living alone.

but the washing and ironing soon piles up.

28/08/2012 at 18:51

Me.

Im 31, single and dont have an issue with spending time in my own company.

Nor do l wish to share with the lads, house share with strangers or even co habit with a bird right now.

In fact, so far, i've managed to avoid moving in with a bird in each of the 3 serious relationships i've had. 2 out of 3 ex girlfriends recently polled say l have "commitment issues" No love, l just dont want you bending my ear every night.

And l certainly dont want to share with the lads like l did when l was 18/19 as all that leads to is the kind of conditions livestock would turn their nose up at and random Wednesday nights getting blind drunk and not rolling into work until mid morning the following day.

Living on ya trev is ace!

28/08/2012 at 20:22
louise guest wrote (see)

I dream of living on my own - but then I have got a teenager and a grumpy husband in the house..

I didn't understand what real happiness was until I was married.....ha! ha!

28/08/2012 at 20:59
Gareth Edwards......... I like the way you put it across, ha ha. Very true!

I have done the lot, I left home/parents at 20 to move into my own house I just bought and
1-lived on own until 22 (2years)
2-lived with 'bird' for 1 year, split up then
3-moved back to parents
4-moved back to my house on own
5-moved into 'birds' house and lived there for 2years not wanting to be with her before I did move out???then I
6-moved back to parents, thenGareth Edwards
7-met to be wife, moved in had gorgeous little girl, moved to bigger house, got married, I get nagged, I don't have 5 Min to my self (often remamiss about no4) in fact the only time I get to myself is when I go for a run! It's also true???kids and marrage kill your sex life??????or is that my age/or us taking each other for granted?

We encourage each other to go out with friends but we like staying in watching X factor with a take away TBH. The wife went away for the night with friends to Blackpool about 2month ago and I'm going Manchester the end of the month for the night. I/we will enjoy the night/time apart but we love the coming home and just being there together.
I couldn't be with out my wife now or my little girl. Lifes got more purpose to it now????????????

I have gone off on one, fck me what's this thread called again?
28/08/2012 at 21:26

I live on my own. It's great. No downside, apart from discovering that I am INCREDIBLY messy!

I think Helena B-Carter and Tim Burton have the right idea - separate houses next door to each other. Ace!

28/08/2012 at 21:27

I should say that I choose to live alone... it hasn't been forced upon me.

The financial sacrifice is pretty high - single tax sucks

28/08/2012 at 22:27

I've lived alone since I was 18. Except for a 5 year period in between when I was married.

So now it's been 5 years an a bit that I've lived on my own again.

It's hard financially. My partner keeps talking about buying a house together but I'm not up for it. I like my space. Only mess to clean is my own. Besides I don't think I'd like to buy a house at this time, much happier being "free" i.e. free to move out of a blue if I fancy a change of scenery. But then again, I've always been like that.

Sometimes I miss company but I'd rather have a dog than a person living under the same roof. I'm too controlling and a clean freak for anyone to have to put up with me

Edit: And  the messiness I would only forgive if the mess maker was a dog!

Edited: 28/08/2012 at 22:28
29/08/2012 at 07:49

End of September I will be moving into a flat on my own. This is my choice. I probably could have found a house share for cheaper, but I really just want my own space at the moment (just got out of a four year relationship). The only housemate I want at the moment is my cat!

29/08/2012 at 08:34

I'm happily living on my tod. It is my choice, although that could also mean that no female is daft enough to take me on

Muttley Jnr moved across to his mother's a couple of years ago so is being a difficult and grumpy grunting teenager there and not here. Result!

I would have to think very carefully indeed before sharing my space again. Partly because I'm perfectly content as a singleton and also because I lost a very nice house when I gave Mrs Muttley the sack.

29/08/2012 at 08:55

dangerous to live on your own for too long, imho...it then gets pretty hard to get used to having someone else around (even if you love them to bits..)

29/08/2012 at 19:31

But I think with modern relationships it is not so important to be living in the same space, baldbloke.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
18 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.