Cloned debit card

1 to 20 of 22 messages
12/06/2013 at 09:02

Hi I ordered an Indian takeaway on Friday & paid over the phone using my debit card. 

On Saturday I had the bank on the blower. various suspicious items had been flagged up. They weren't mine so card has been destroyed & bank issuing new card & items Denied. 

My question - is it likely it's the Indian or staff member ? Or can someone take your details & wait a few days ? 

Their food is yummy I! 

12/06/2013 at 09:07

it could have been someone a lot earlier in the transaction chain but at least your bank had the foresight to contact you - many don't

we had similar with one of our CCs recently - call from the issuer to say there had been some suspicious transactions so cancelled the cards and issued new ones.  strange thing was that neither of us had used the card in the weeks leading up to the call.

12/06/2013 at 10:11

Do you shred all your mail before binning it? It could be that the details have been taken that way. Or your mail could have been intercepted/stolen.

The other possibility is that a card machine has a cloner attached either at a cash point or in a shop.

cougie    pirate
12/06/2013 at 10:14
It could have been in so many places. Petrol stations seem to be a popular one round here.
12/06/2013 at 10:19

Happened to me once - that was a petrol station too. To make matters worse the replacement details were swiped within the bank before it was dispatched.

12/06/2013 at 10:26

There are so many opportunities to nab the details right from the bank onwards that it's impossible to say where or who it was.

12/06/2013 at 10:43

Report it to the police and mention the take-away.  If it is happening there eventually someone else will report something similar.

12/06/2013 at 11:11

There is another scam - you get a call purporting to be from police to say your card has been cloned.  You are asked to verify your card number, security number and PIN.  You are then told a courier will come and collect your card.  The rest is obvious.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
12/06/2013 at 11:27

Never ever give out any personal information over the phone!

12/06/2013 at 11:50

actually a good way to deal with it if you are asked to confirm your details is to give incorrect details (change a number in the middle or something) then if the caller is bona fide then they will actually tell you that is incorrect but then if they say 'that's great thank you' you know they are on the rob and can report them ... oh and delight in telling them that you know they are scamming you and are going to go to prison ....

12/06/2013 at 12:43

I think it was a chap at Virgin Media who asked me for my password recently and I told him I wouldn't tell him! Oh he was confused....

12/06/2013 at 14:04

Petrol station here too.  In this case the culprit was collecting details for months then hit the lot in one weekend.  It is kind of amusing having your bank ask you if you bought a moped in Mombai over the weekend.

12/06/2013 at 14:35

It was £200 of make up on my card.  Never did find out who used my card details.

Think I only went through the fraud dept my bank, don't remember calling the police, maybe the bank did.

12/06/2013 at 14:45

Hi thanks. 

Its been years since this happened to us before. 

I thought it could be earlier Or daysbefore 

The food is very good & the speediest delivery so I'd be cheesed not to use them again. Can always use cash 

2 strange things - automated bank message said "press 1 if your doB is 10/03/65 or press 2 if its 12/12/69 etc.  I found that suspicious & call the bank myself. 

The other odd thing was the transactions were 2 x £30 no moped buying by my crimal 

cougie    pirate
12/06/2013 at 14:49
What did the bank say about the DOB thing ? I've never heard of that before ?
12/06/2013 at 14:55

My credit card people rang me at home one Saturday morning, and said " so your not in an X rated cinema in Las Vegas then"..... Never did find out what had happened

Sprog 3 suffered last year with a well known bank that advertises if you lose your card don't worry we can still let you get cash... Let someone else get cash twice.. The second time after he had already reported it ! All very messy and police involved. What's really funny is that he works for the bank ! 

12/06/2013 at 16:45
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

My credit card people rang me at home one Saturday morning, and said " so your not in an X rated cinema in Las Vegas then"..... Never did find out what had happened

Were you well jealous of the guy that was though? 

My cloned card was picked up being used in Vietnam - I actually thought that was quite cool, it's further than I've ever been 

12/06/2013 at 16:49
Screamapillar wrote (see)
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Were you well jealous of the guy that was though? 

Why ? You might be turned on by sleazy cinemas, but it does nothing for me 

12/06/2013 at 16:53

No. But I have been to Las Vegas 

12/06/2013 at 16:55

Wow.  

1 to 20 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.