Colloquialisms

Things your gran said....

1 to 20 of 41 messages
Ratbag    pirate
17/09/2002 at 08:59
I was listening to a Radio 4 programme last night called Th quotation game or similar and it started me thinking (that's a first, I hear you say!!)

They were talking about the origin of phrases or sayings like 'as bold as brass' etc. And then I started to think of some of the expressions and such like that we all grow up with and think normal but which other people from other regions don't often understand.

Stuff like 'he's noy as green as he's cabbage looking' and others.

We're from all parts of the country so what experessions have you got and what do they mean (if you know)?

Just thought of another thread topic too.... bye for now..

RB
17/09/2002 at 09:10
Gosh! Is it Friday already?

Up here in the wilds of Brum they don't bear grudges because they know that "Wot goos around, cooms around". On the other hand, my husband used to get terribly confused when I told him I was going out to get the messages then came home laden with carrier bags and asked him to put the messages past. Scottish people will understand.
17/09/2002 at 09:23
"Better fed than taught" is one that I have problems understanding to this day.

And my Gran used to say something along the lines of "Fair bring yer arse to yer elbows" to describe particularly sour things. It's a visual thing.
17/09/2002 at 09:26
Ratbag, how are you? Feel like it's ages since we've engaged! My ex mother in law had some classic ones (Irish of course)...
'Hotter than the hob of hell'
'Every cripple has there own way of walking'
'There's a match that will strike' (she didn't realise that it would blow out as well)....
My Auntie Violet is of the same generation and one night after a family party she and ex mother in law did a joint effort..
Auntie Vi: 'It's 4am in the morning...'
Ex mother in law joined in to finish it off: 'and not a baby in the house is washed'
'Beef to the heel of Mullingar heffer'...something about being fat...never quite worked that one out!
Oh and last one, on asking directions from a very drunk driver in Ireland, he said,
'Lord, bless, save us and preserve us tonight,' laughed out loud and then replied, 'I haven't a clue'
17/09/2002 at 09:28
my granny always used to tell me that the only thing you should stick in your ear is your elbow. She also confued my boyf when she first met him as she asked if he wanted a fly - that stumped him !!
Also there's a service station down from me that has the sign 'ye may gang far and find faur waur' - I think I spelt that right!!
Ratbag    pirate
17/09/2002 at 09:42
Hello Snicks,

I'll email you offline.

Gillian,

What is a 'fly' then??
17/09/2002 at 09:45
A cup of tea
Ratbag    pirate
17/09/2002 at 09:46
Oh, you mean a cup o'cha? a brew? a drop of Rosie Lee?

Why fly then?
17/09/2002 at 09:48
I don't know - sometimes it was a fly cup, which i guess stemmed from a sly cup/quick cup........
not too sure really
17/09/2002 at 09:50
My Gran just used to shout GEORGE a lot... Not much time for colloquialisms I'm afraid!
17/09/2002 at 10:04
There's a cracker here in South Wales which could describe a bad hangover or someone/somewhere not graced with social niceties...
...as rough as ten bears!
A friend of mine's Irish mother used to comment on very bad weather, "I chuck a bucket of water out in this!"
As they say where I come from, "there's nowt s'queer as folk!"
17/09/2002 at 10:08
Why did she shout George when your name is Jon?

I didn't come to the UK until I was 12 so my granny's expressions would mean very little to you. Her main legacy to me is my inability to sit on a public toilet seat without first covering it with loo paper.

Learning English was a confusing business: a friend of a friend got a new bike which had 'fallen off the back of a lorry'. I was amazed there were no scratches on it; didn't the lorry driver notice? Etc. Doh!
17/09/2002 at 10:09
That should have read, of course, "I wouldn't chuck a bucket of water out in this"
Fingers quicker than brain.
Come to think of it only my legs are slower!
17/09/2002 at 10:09
To describe an ugly person:

"Face like a bag of elbows"

To describe a poorly made cup of tea

"That tea's so weak its almost a fortnight"

Use them at your peril
17/09/2002 at 10:14
A face like the east end of a westbound horse.

Laura... That was grandad's name
17/09/2002 at 10:20
Your grandad's name was Laura!!

How about:
Face like a smacked arse
face like a bag of spanners
...bag of ferrets
she looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp.
17/09/2002 at 10:24
mine said face like a skelped arse.
17/09/2002 at 10:46
Bear- Only in certain circles!
WildWill    pirate
17/09/2002 at 10:48
As rough as a Badgers @rse
Face lake a smacked @rse
WildWill    pirate
17/09/2002 at 10:48
As rough as a Badgers @rse
Face like a smacked @rse
1 to 20 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.