Coloured tape - where did it go

All summer I saw people running taped up, has it stopped working?

21 to 30 of 30 messages
12/01/2013 at 20:47
I'm guessing it depends on entry dates. Two runners (can't spell or pronounce their names) turned up on the day and walked away with the record times and first and second place at the NSPCC Milton Keynes half.
12/01/2013 at 21:33

entry dates don't usually apply to elites.

Organisers are usually keen to allow them in to boost the profile of the race.

Wokingham half is an example. Closed, but if you can run under a certain time you're in .

cougie    pirate
12/01/2013 at 21:47
You also see pros wearing hologram bracelets so I'd not take their pb's as a sign it works.
12/01/2013 at 22:16
The tape is still about. Whenever I have been to my physio, I have failed to escape without my right leg being plastered in the stuff. Never heard of it before I started running last year. In my day it used to be non stretch Zinc Oxide tape for strapping sports injuries, which came in a choice of white or white.

I'm sure there are a lot of compression socks being worn under those leggings, and runners going off for sports massage etc, all which have dubious scientific research. But, as a lot of running is in the mind, it will all be back out there in the spring helping in some way or another
Edited: 12/01/2013 at 22:17
12/01/2013 at 22:17
Most pros will wear stuff just because they are being paid to, although you'd have to pay me a fortune before I started wearing those long socks in a race.
Dark Vader    pirate
13/01/2013 at 09:31

I don't see what is happening with this tape lark..   it's just tape, right?  It doesn't seem to be applied in a supportive way, but it seems to be just a strip stuck on the skin.  The blurb on the web site describes its elasticity and beathability etc...  so, what's the point..?   Apart from being unnecessarily obvious (it could be flesh coloured?!), I just don't see the science in it.  

Unless I'm missing the science, it just seems like sticky tape stuck on the skin.....

Its surely just a money making scheme for the guy who invented it..?   The cost of the 'courses' are ridiculously expensive....

13/01/2013 at 12:24

Millsy, I used to laugh at the long sock wearers too, then I tried it myself. I don't like running in tights, much prefer shorts, but having exposed calves in the winter definitely leads to more minor pulls and tweaks. I wear Aldi compression socks and really notice a difference, though I think it's more down to the added warmth rather than the compression.

P.S. Duct tape is the name of the product, Duck is a brand. Duck tape IS duct tape, but not all duct tapes are Duck tape. Think Dolphins and porpoises and Venn diagrams and subsets.

cougie    pirate
13/01/2013 at 12:48
There's dolphin tape ? I'm confused !
13/01/2013 at 13:20
Dolphin tape is just like duck tape only more intelligent apparently.

Wearing the long socks may well work but it still looks odd when teamed with short shorts. Just my oppinion though.
13/01/2013 at 14:04
Oh, I totally agree with you that it looks All Wrong. I chuckle when I see other people wearing them. I'm such a hypocrite, I know...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.