Coloured tape - where did it go

All summer I saw people running taped up, has it stopped working?

1 to 20 of 30 messages
11/01/2013 at 07:29
Earlier this year there was a mad craze for taping various muscles with bits of sticky backed plastic, it was supposed to help all kinds of problems, where did it go? It was clearly a fad as I don't see it any more, will its demise mean another fad? If so what will it be when this years crop of new runners take to the streets in spring
seren nos yn canu    pirate
11/01/2013 at 08:29

its just hidden under long leggings

11/01/2013 at 09:44

it's Kinesio tape - been around for over 20 years but only come into vogue in the last few years.  some history here - http://www.kinesiotaping.co.uk/history.jsp

science says it's a pile of tosh - many users claim it works for them

and no doubt you'll see it around again next summer when more flesh is on show

11/01/2013 at 09:55

they were doing it for a few people at an expo i went to this year for free and i was picked to have my calf done since i was carrying a slight injury, all i had to do was give a glowing report after the race, it made no difference and actually annoyed me more than anything else, 

the pre-cut calf one was like £20 too, thats crazy for a single use bit of tape.

cougie    pirate
11/01/2013 at 10:42
Silly idea.

I swear by my duck tape.
11/01/2013 at 11:11

I've seen somebody totally duck taped up and winched to the ceiling in a hangar, he didn't move a muscle

11/01/2013 at 12:51

is it one of those things that if people think it works it works?

11/01/2013 at 13:03
I class it alongside those funny bracelets / necklaces that were about a while ago. Must be a salesmans dream if you see someone come into your shop wearing one of those.
11/01/2013 at 13:04

Actually I haven;t seen so much recenrlly although there was some on show at the Olympics last summer. Wherever it is stuck, I personally think it works directly on the brain i.e. is is a psychological boost with no real physical benefit!

By the way it is Duct tape not Duck tape although most people seem to think it is duck tape.

used originally in building scenarios rather than Veterinary ones

11/01/2013 at 13:11
Edited: 11/01/2013 at 13:12
11/01/2013 at 13:40

Might be wrong, but was it part of that Parnorama program which argued there was no need for (most people to buy) expensive trainers / energy drinks / supplements. Think they may have said on the program that there was basically no evidence it works apart from psychological boost.

11/01/2013 at 14:22

Like stripes on a fiesta, but what will it be this year?

Dark Vader    pirate
12/01/2013 at 13:04
Brooks the beast wrote (see)

By the way it is Duct tape not Duck tape although most people seem to think it is duck tape.

Nope...  definitely Duck Tape.   I bought some yesterday from B&Q to make a temporary repair my sunroof...!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/98627/gallery/img_1832.jpg?width=350

12/01/2013 at 13:10

Duck tape is a trade name that came from the original mispronunciation of Duct tape, it has been used to seal central heating and ventilation ducts for many years,

can you get it in the go-faster blue?

12/01/2013 at 14:26

I think you might be able to EKGO.  I've seen black, silver, red and green so I'm sure there must be some blue out there somewhere

Dark Vader    pirate
12/01/2013 at 15:57

Blue tape..:

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/98627/gallery/electric-blue-duck-tape.ashx.jpeg?width=350

12/01/2013 at 16:47

As soon as Cougs mentioned Duck Tape I just knew someone was going to say it was duct tape.   I'm with FB on it being either.

12/01/2013 at 17:51
When a company puts an apostrophe in 1000s, I wouldn't trust them to know whether it's duck or duct tape
Blisters    pirate
12/01/2013 at 18:06

I agree with the grammaticists, but was also going to mention another fad that we haven't seen for a little while: nose plasters.

I bet Paula feels really, really silly when she sees the recordings in 20 years' time. When she sees THAT recording she'll just be embarrassed again.

12/01/2013 at 20:39
fat buddha wrote (see)

it's Kinesio tape - been around for over 20 years but only come into vogue in the last few years.  some history here - http://www.kinesiotaping.co.uk/history.jsp

science says it's a pile of tosh - many users claim it works for them

and no doubt you'll see it around again next summer when more flesh is on show

First thought would be to agree with science on the tape. Something for those "all the gear no idea" types.

But at a half marathon I did last summer, 2 elite ladies who were running in the Olympic marathon the next month had loads of it on.

So you wouldn't really argue with someone of their level!

Apart from the tape, 2 things stood out for me at that race, which at a 1,000 strong field is just my local half marathon

1. 3 runners in the top 5 competing in the Olympic marathon the next month, a once in a lifetime happening! Not to mention a lady who has represented Britain at the marathon herself being squeeed down to 3rd lady!
  2. The chap and 3rd lady are local, but why on earth would the 2 Olympian ladies pick such a hilly course as a build up when there are loads of halfs...
1 to 20 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.