Country Music

21 to 30 of 30 messages
01/07/2012 at 14:19

Alison Krauss is in Manchester on the 13th July then in Hyde Park on the 14th.

01/07/2012 at 14:24

forgot about Alison Krauss in Hyde Park - I shall be there to see Bruce

01/07/2012 at 14:41
Both sound good. Unfortunately, won't be able to go to either. Have a good time!
02/07/2012 at 09:22

Agree about Hank Williams and Johnny Cash - 2 of the greatest singers in any genre.

Going even further back, Jimmie Rodgers still sounds astonishingly ahead of his time. Writing/recording in the late '20's/early '30's you can still hear his influence on the development of what became "rock'n'roll" and artists like Buddy Holly and Bob Dylan.

02/07/2012 at 09:34
Tickled Pink wrote (see)
Another one brought up listening to Country and with a liking for it myself.

Me too. I saw Johnny Cash on his 25th Anniversary tour when I was 14!

I'm not too thrilled with the vast majority of the archetypal 'Rhinestones' country, but do like artists like Steve Earle (seem him twice one with the Dukes for the 'Exit 0' tour, & on the 'Townes Van Zandt' tour)

Dwight Yoakham

Alison Krauss

Dixie Chicks (saw them at Manchester a few years ago)

Del McCoury Band (superb CD with Steve Earle; 'The Mountain'

Sweethearts of the Rodeo

Dolly Parton (but the  '90s/00's bluegrass, like 'Little Sparrow')

And of course the clasics;

Cash (& the Carter Family)
Hank Williams

Ernest Tubbs

Jerry Reed (wrote 'Guitar Man' - sang by Elvis, & was 'Snowman' in the Smokey & The Bandit films)
Willie Nelson (wrote 'Crazy' - Patsy Cline)
KD Lang
Kris Kristofersson (was 'Rubber Duck' in the ilm Convoy)

The Highwaymen

Just to mention a few - lots more aren't springing to mind at the moment

02/07/2012 at 10:25

I'm not mad for the traditional stuff but you can't beat a bit of melancholic Americana late at night when you've had a few too many JDs...

02/07/2012 at 10:39

On a similar vibe, this is my favourite version of Wichita Lineman...

03/07/2012 at 03:12
Nice lists.

Steve Earle is great live, for an intro try the album Transcendental Blues, he masters everything from ballads to the harder end of country rock.
04/07/2012 at 18:03

Nobody came back to me on The Grande,which either means you didn't have a look or you thought they were sh!te! Thought I'd make it easy for you......

Edited: 04/07/2012 at 18:03
04/07/2012 at 21:56
Poacher wrote (see)
Nice lists.

Steve Earle is great live, for an intro try the album Transcendental Blues, he masters everything from ballads to the harder end of country rock.

Got to agree, he's bounced back from addictions & is still a brilliant songwriter.

Try this live listing;

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/steve-earle-and-the-dukes/concerts/bottom-line-june-18-1986.html

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.