Cover Songs

That Eclipse The Original

1 to 20 of 164 messages
04/10/2013 at 09:09

Heard Siouxsie and the Banshees version of Dear Prudence on 6 Music on the way to work this morning. I'm a big admirer of the Beatles, but I think Siouxsie Sioux and her mob trumped the original with their haunting take on it.

Which prompted me to think about other covers that surpass the original. Arrived at work soon after so didn't get very far, but these were the four that immediately sprang to mind, at least in my opinion: -

• Hurt - Nine Inch Nails
04/10/2013 at 09:11

Ah great - another feckin' forum bug. 

Bob's tip: Don't bother trying to use bullet points people. 

I'll try again: -

Hurt - Nine Inch Nails

04/10/2013 at 09:12

Oh FFS.

04/10/2013 at 09:14

Right - must be the Greater than, and Less than characters. 

This is going well isn't it?

Try again for a final time: -

Hurt - Nine Inch Nails less than Johnny Cash

War Pigs - Black Sabbath less than Faith No More

Dear Prudence - Beatles less than Siouxsie and the Banshees

Tainted Love - Gloria Jones less than Soft Cell

What else...?

04/10/2013 at 09:21

Heard that exact same song on 6 music myself this morning Bob. We love a bit of Siouxsie in our house.

How about the Sid Vicious version of My Way? 

04/10/2013 at 09:23

Oh hang on. Can't edit 

Sid Vicious greater than Frank Sinatra

Pudge    pirate
04/10/2013 at 09:26

Step On - Happy Mondays' version better than John Kongos' original

Pudge    pirate
04/10/2013 at 09:30

All Along The Watchtower - Jim Hendrix greater than Bob Dylan 

04/10/2013 at 09:31

Nightwish's version of Phantom of the Opera - superior in every way to anyone else's version.

All Along the Watchtower Jimmi Hendrix - Even Bob Dylan prefered that to his own version.

(Haven't been able to edit for days)

04/10/2013 at 09:39

The Rolf Harris version of Stairway to Heaven.

04/10/2013 at 09:43

Baby I love You better than the Ronettes

Needles and Pins better than the Searchers

both by the Ramones

seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/10/2013 at 09:44

robert Wyatt  greater than elvis costellos..but not sure which can be called the cover as EC wrote it but it was actually written for Wyatt to sing

04/10/2013 at 09:45

Blondies One Way or Another ...... less than ...... One Direction's version.

let me try something. <

This may seem like sacrilege but I grew up being familiar with Phil Collins' version of the Beatle track Tomorrow Never Knows, long before I heard the original.  These days I'm not sure quite sure which way it goes, although there's no denying Phil's a much better drummer (or was in his day) than Ringo.

No arguments here though; David Bowie is one of my favourite artists of all time but again, I grew up with the Bauhaus cover of Ziggy Stardust.  I think it's got a bit more oomph.

Also:

PJ Harvey - Highway 61 Revisited (Bob Dylan)
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)
Meg Baird - Friends (Mark Almond.. having just discovered the original, that's good as well but Meg Baird's voice is just... )

seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/10/2013 at 09:57

sorry Phil.....so many to choose from for Halleluhah but these guys are my favourite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqt20hTlTO8

04/10/2013 at 10:08

I think the Johnny Cash version of "Hurt" is the only one that really exceeded the original.

Much as I love Nightwish I still don't much like their version of Phantom of the Opera, Tarja gets a bit screechy towards the end.

04/10/2013 at 10:16

Viva Las Vegas, Dead Kennedys version better than Elvis (and ZZ top)
Turn the heater on, New Orders go better than Keith Hudson

Agree with OP about Siouxsie's version of Dear Prudence, and also with Sussex, but then all Ramones songs invariably sound good. Pistols version of 'Something else'?

04/10/2013 at 10:27

(Sorry Screampillar!!!)

Oh yeah someone mentioned My Way by Sid Vicious, better than anyone eles's ever because he actually did it his way!!!

04/10/2013 at 10:30

Quite a lot of Joan Baez's versions of Bob Dylan songs, in my opinion. But I think that's more evidence of Dylan being a great songwriter than the original versions being less good.

1 to 20 of 164 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.