CrossTraining

Spinning

14 messages
07/01/2010 at 20:10

I am in Week 3 of a 10 week HM training programme (my first).

My mileage is increasing week on week and far more than I've done before (I have only been running 6 months).

Despite this I fancy some cross training - in particular attending a local "spinning" class. It is a 45min session.

As I haven't done anything like this before am I risking injury by doing this class especially on a "rest" day.

Advice greatfully received.

TIA

Kev

07/01/2010 at 20:44

Hi Kev - I have  been running under 6 months and in week 3 of a 12 week HM training programme so similar position to yourself.  Before I started running I used to do spinning and loved it (well after first few weeks I did!!) and since started running I go spinning once a week but on a cross training day not a rest day; it feels fine but don't think I would risk it on rest day as it can make your legs ache like crazy after first few classes.

Have to admit - I like to properly rest on my rest days (I need it!)

Helen

07/01/2010 at 20:49
Thanks Helen. At present I run 4 days and have three rest days so I suppose I mean coverting a rest day in to a cross training day?
07/01/2010 at 22:23
07/01/2010 at 22:29
Kev - rest is important but I wouldn't have thought you need 3 days of it so throw in a class and see how it goes.  I don't think you'll do any harm as the classes are low impact but are a great cardio workout.  Just don't do one the day before a hard running session.
07/01/2010 at 23:08
Running Kev wrote (see)

Despite this I fancy some cross training - in particular attending a local "spinning" class. It is a 45min session.

cross-training??

Get yourself entered in a couple of Cyclo-Cross races Kev, you'll get cycling & running in one fell swoop

Look here, you'll find links to the calendar

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclocross

07/01/2010 at 23:37

Thanks B-D-B

Richard - 1 step (or revolution) at a time!

Only just bought a mountain bike!

cougie    pirate
07/01/2010 at 23:38
The cross champs at the weekend are cancelled due to the conditions. I think spinning is a much safer bet !
08/01/2010 at 10:36
Running Kev wrote (see)

Thanks B-D-B

Richard - 1 step (or revolution) at a time!

Only just bought a mountain bike!

You can use that, you don't need a cross bike (only in regional Championships & above)
cougie wrote (see)
The cross champs at the weekend are cancelled due to the conditions. I think spinning is a much safer bet !

I know

We used to race in the ice & snow, last years Championships in Bradford (Peel Park) was frosty, but was a damn fine event to watch

08/01/2010 at 19:23

Spinning is great fun!  I got told not to do a class the day before a long run though because it makes your legs tired and can affect your running form making an injury more likely.

08/01/2010 at 20:30

I love spinning!  I used to do 4 classes a week before I did running, now I have my own spinning bike and I use it at home when the weather is bad.  A spinning workout is as hard as you make it - you add your own resistance to make it harder to turn the pedals, so you could vary between a moderate and very high intensity workout depending on the amount of resistance you use and the effort you put in.  I always used to push myself to a very high intensity at most classes, but there were a few people who you could tell were not pushing themselves very much.

I find that it helps strengthen my knee joints and so helps with my running.

08/01/2010 at 20:33
Richard Thackeray 2 wrote (see)
Running Kev wrote (see)

cross-training??

Get yourself entered in a couple of Cyclo-Cross races Kev, you'll get cycling & running in one fell swoop

Look here, you'll find links to the calendar

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclocross

I had a read of the link- cyclo cross looks great fun. I took up mountain biking 18 months ago, and i love it though I find some of the difficult descents really scary!

08/01/2010 at 21:25

Enjoyes the spinning - great work out. 45 mins went fast!

A bit tired tonight.

Out for a 6.5 miler in the morning.

09/01/2010 at 12:37
Vicky Probyn wrote (see)

I had a read of the link- cyclo cross looks great fun. I took up mountain biking 18 months ago, and i love it though I find some of the difficult descents really scary!

Cross is good fun, & polite too!, there's generally an 'Excuse me!, on your right/left!" before someone overtakes

Wheels/tools/pumps will be lent to someone who has a problem at our local series

http://www.yorkshirecyclocross.org.uk/

Plus, the winter events are usually 'an hour, plus a lap' (summer series are 45 minutes - so everything can be tidied away before dusk commences)

Mountain Bikes are welcome, as I previously stated, & there's a few ladies generally enter the events

This guy usually attends too

http://www.flamingphotography.co.uk/

Older pics are archived here;

http://flamingphotography2.uuuq.com/

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.