Cycling route in London

Safe route for commuting.

14 messages
05/01/2011 at 22:34

I am going to be working in London one day a week from next week getting the train to Paddington and working near Euston station, my plan is to cycle from Paddington but looking on Google the more direct route to Euston is along Euston Rd that I know is very busy. 

Is it safe/a good idea to cycle down Euston Rd or does anyone know of a safer/more scenic alternative?

Thanks

05/01/2011 at 22:47
Have you got one of the free cycle maps?  Or look on the tfl website which gives recommended cycle routes.  There are a number of back streets along that way. 
06/01/2011 at 09:30
Thanks, I'll have a look on the tfl site, as I'm not from London I don't really know what's out there! 
06/01/2011 at 14:04
Are you going to use a Boris Bike?
06/01/2011 at 15:16
No! I'm going to bring my bike on the train!!
06/01/2011 at 15:19

If its a short journey a Boris Bike would be a good idea

This is the bike route planner

Good luck

06/01/2011 at 15:28
Although the Euston Road is quite busy, I see a lot of people cycling on it, so it's reasonably safe, I feel. The area around Euston is quite pretty though, so would suggest at least a couple of days going via the backstreets.
06/01/2011 at 16:29

Thanks for the though Soup but I need to cycle to the station at this end too so a Boris Bike is no good.

06/01/2011 at 19:57
Cycle along the canal from paddington to the regents canal.  Take the regents canal and turn off at regents park.  Cycle through regents park to Gt portland street and then cycle down the back roads to Euston or take the Euston rd there for a very short bit. I run that way quite often, its quite a nice route.
06/01/2011 at 21:17
Must only be a couple of miles. Is it worth the hassle of lugging a bike on the train, esp if you are travelling in peak hours?
06/01/2011 at 21:43

Little Ninja - the main thing is to cycle to the station at this end - I need to go before the first bus gets to the station, it just seems better to cycle at the other end too than to leave my bike at the station and have to get the tube.  Once I get to the office there is secure cycle parking and I can change easily.

Shive - thanks for that, I'll have a look at it.

06/01/2011 at 23:16
Check you can carry it on the train - if it's not a fold up then they're banned during commuter hours on most lines.
07/01/2011 at 07:44

Was just thinking about that BOTF. Bikes on the underground

National rail

Edited: 07/01/2011 at 07:46
ejc
07/01/2011 at 07:49
What Shiva said - go along the canal. Come out of the back of Paddington Station, go to Little Venice and turn right along Regents Canal. Work out in advance where you will need to turn off and be aware some parts of the canal tow path are closed at some times of day - depending on the time of your commute you might be best to cycle along the road beside the canal rather than along the tow path itself.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.