Dear overweight UK

1 to 20 of 596 messages
25/05/2012 at 20:17

The question about why we have an instinct to pick on fatties has its origins back in pre history. As hunter gatherers, the ability to move over great distances at one level and very quickly on another was paramount to hunting success. Being over weight meant you were no use on the hunt. As well as that, another problem was the one of survival especially in times of famine. The way to survive was to be really fat. So not only were fatties useless at hunting, bringing in no food but they also had the audacity to survive famine while the contributors died. So give em a hard time, its traditional.

25/05/2012 at 21:16

RicF - actually in the poorest societies fat is still seen as a sign of wealth and privilege - in parts of Africa young women are still sent to fattening huts to make them more desirable marriage prospects.  After all in the hunter gatherer society only the men were doing the running, the women were reproducing and caring for the children so a bit of podge was a huge evolutionary advantage.  It is rather more that the paradox of wealthy society that fatness is now seen as a negative attribute.

25/05/2012 at 22:58

There is a difference to being a little bit overweight, or even being a healthy weight and being obese.

When weight effects health, mobility etc. Then you are in serious trouble.

That new programme - secret eaters, shows how most of us think about what we eat. How many times have we seen on here threads started by people who say they hardly eat a thing yet can't shift the weight.

For a few weeks I counted the calories of everything I ate and was shocked by how easy it was to exceed the daily allowance. I want to eat my 5 - 10 portions of fruit and veg each day, plus have the right amount of protein and fat in my diet. By trying to do this I exceed my daily allowance of kcals easily.

Luckily I'm not sedentry but reasonably active. I work with people who eat tons and spend the day sat watching TV. Though they don't moan about being fat anything like as much as I do.

WiB
25/05/2012 at 23:31

Probably because they don't care. Massively overweight people just smack of lazyness, lack of will power and no self discipline.

WiB
26/05/2012 at 07:32

Wetter is Better! wrote (see)

Probably because they don't care. Massively overweight people just smack of lazyness, lack of will power and no self discipline.

Sometimes.  But sometimes there are other causes.  Low self esteem possibly caused by abuse in the past, depression which can cause some people to over eat, a basic lack of understanding of how to cook, or what foods are nutitionally poor.

I'm never going to be slim because of my build, but I have had both high and low body fat percentages in the past.  The periods where I was larger coincide with issues in my past, where I was coming to terms with stuff and suffering from depression.  My self confidence, self esteem and self worth were rock bottom.  The periods when I have been smaller coincide with times when I have felt positive about myself and have been happy.

I know that I am in control of what I eat, and what is good for me, but I love good food and have to work constantly to keep my weight stable.  It's not laziness, will power of disipline that I lack, but the inability to keep my eye on my nutrition when there are so many other things in my life going wrong.  Just like some people might take a break from running training when life gets in the way, sometimes I have to take a break from watching my diet.

What I am getting at, is that there are lots of causes of obesity and you can't lump everyone together in the same category.

26/05/2012 at 07:40

"playing the victim card"

Pot kettle/wine bottle black

26/05/2012 at 08:08

You want me to continue?

From FB:

"And yet, when I post on the forum that losing weight could possibly improve athletic performance, I'm accused of bullying. I've lost my cool with people making it personal, it never was.!"

Did the person ask for your opinion on a thread they started just about how to improve their performance? No. 

You are playing the victim card here KK. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

26/05/2012 at 08:22

But weight does effect athletic performance. If I could lose weight then I could run faster and be able to hurdle and do high jump.

If someone on here asks how they might improve performance then training, weight and nutrition / hydration all come into play. OK, training will probably have this biggest impact but weight plays it's part in no small measure.

I see people puffing and panting just walking because they are carrying around so much extra that they don't need. If we can see the effects of obeseity on the individual then surely there are hidden effects of excess weight on those of us that think we are fit but are carrying around to much.

26/05/2012 at 08:29

Confuscious also says she who gives criticism should also be able to take it.

Noone would argue that weight impacts performance Bex. KK posted these comments because someone on a long-standing thread asked a question amongst friends about improving performance, KK barged in drunk, was rude and has played the victim ever since.

26/05/2012 at 08:38
And its also totally irrelevant to the OP, what did or didn't happen, what kk did or didn't post was long ago and far away. Anonymous prodding with sticks and hiding behind new ids is pointless ... let it drop.

We whing about the forum not being what it was and being dull and all that crap but still there are people whose aim in this is to make us all get fed up of it and bugger off to Fetch or FB. If you have a reply to make to the OP then make it under your own name, if not then keep your paws off the keyboard.
Nurse Ratched    pirate
26/05/2012 at 09:06

As a relative newcomer to the forums, I don't know all you regular, long-standing posters, but I have to say that none of this is making pleasant reading.  It smacks of bullying and has a very nasty edge to it.

Regardless of who you (really) are, or the circumstances, if you're going to say something about someone, then have the balls to stand up and be counted.

Otherwise, if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

26/05/2012 at 09:27
To the twat.

Why?
LIVERBIRD    pirate
26/05/2012 at 09:38
Tickled Pink wrote (see)

If you have a reply to make to the OP then make it under your own name, if not then keep your paws off the keyboard.

Quite. Has it occurred to you that you stand to spoil the FB group by being in it if you're capable of popping on your invisibility cloak to attack someone anonymously in public? We like it in there. We feel comfortable in each other's company. Or we DID...

26/05/2012 at 09:59

KK may views that people may disagree with but  If you want to pick a fight do so without hiding after all its just a bit sad to hide. I give it till  09.30am on Monday before this thread is killed ! 

26/05/2012 at 10:07
I don't think it should be removed. I think it should stay to serve as an embarrassment to whoever it is.
26/05/2012 at 10:10

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/Internet_dog.jpg

LIVERBIRD    pirate
26/05/2012 at 10:11
Slowfoot 2012 wrote (see)

KK may views that people may disagree with but  If you want to pick a fight do so without hiding after all its just a bit sad to hide. I give it till  09.30am on Monday before this thread is killed ! 

I'm saying 10. They'll need a coffee first...God forbid anyone actually checks over the weekend.

26/05/2012 at 10:13

I just posted that cartoon to show how easy it is to post here now. You don't even need a proper email address. I used info@runnersworld.co.uk. There's no authorisation. Sort it out RW!

That cartoon was from 1993. All the trolling and shite wasn't happening then.

26/05/2012 at 10:21

All of the personal slagging aside, this is a really interesting topic. KK is absolutely right that we are more obese and suffer from more obesity-associated life-threatening illnesses and diseases than ever before.

But contrary to what many still believe today, the evidence tells us it's not because we're lazy and lack willpower. There is no evidence whatsoever that demonstrates that people who suffer from obesity are lazy and lack willpower. But what we do know from the evidence is that the obesity epidemic sky rocketed from the point at which we all started to believe the myth (and it is a myth) that saturated fats were 'bad' and carbohydrates were 'good'. The reality is that we are actually eating less saturated fat than we ever have, but we're more obese than ever. And what is making us obese is the white stuff, sugar and flour/grains.

Food companies have created a thriving market of low-fat products that are only making people fatter, because what they take out in fat, they replace in sugar. 60% of the population can't process gluten, which a lot of the time is responsible for making people fatter and sicker. This article is easy to read, and really hits home what the real problems are in our diets: http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease

This discussion also does make me think a bit of how we view obesity as a society too. Using alcohol as an example, people frequently regale their drunk antics; we laugh in response.  Many of us seem happy to admit to a captive public that we've drank too much and have done or said something embarrassing as a result. A lady at my work seemed almost proud that she couldn't remember how she got home from the pub after a night's 'sesh'.  Drinking alcohol is a social pasttime; we go out with no other purpose than to drink. We even have 'drinking buddies' with whom we share the common interest. We all know the health dangers of drinking, and we don't have to be drunk to be at risk of these health dangers. We know that the NHS and public services spend a fortune combatting against the consequences of alcohol-related diseases and anti-social behaviours.

But as a society it's still kind of acceptable. Rock stars like Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones who has dedicated a lifetime to an excess of drink and drugs, are looked on with a smile and admiration. We laughed when he turned up on stage pissed as an old fart, unable to strum a few cords. Well cool. I didn't even think that maybe I wasn't getting my money's worth out of his performance.

However if he had hopped on stage having put on 7 stone, munching on a cornish pasty, with a couple of choccie bars stuffed in his trousers for good measure, we'd be appalled. We'd complain about how that 'fattie' has brought down the cool image of the rockband (I have completely plagiarised this analogy from Caitlin Moran).

We don't have 'Dorito binging buddies' who we get together with on a Saturday night for a proper 'sesh'. And I don't know anyone who openly admits (with pride) when they last had a food binge session. The only words that come to mind when I think of the last time I picked left-over birthday cake out of the bin, are 'shame' and 'guilt'.

What is it about binging on food, and the clear consequences of obesity, that make it so disdainful? But binging on alcohol, and the clear consequences of that, seem to be looked on, in general, with light hearted acceptance.

Sure sure, we're far less active than we were before, and that has a part to play. But the biggest problem here is not the quantities of food we consume but the content of that food we consume. Food companies make food in a way that makes you desire more. MSG is designed to make you crave and eat more, even when we're not hungry.

Edited: 26/05/2012 at 10:24
26/05/2012 at 10:22

LN, I hope you checked the 'Email me when a response is made?' checkbox' when you made the post

Edited: 26/05/2012 at 10:23
1 to 20 of 596 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.