Design faults in everyday objects.

21 to 40 of 60 messages
24/02/2013 at 20:16

However, there is a debate to be had about whether the modern man should sit down to pee.  Since I started cleaning my own toilet, I can see the point.

24/02/2013 at 23:52

If you sit on the sink it will fall off the wall, you need to stand to pee.

25/02/2013 at 01:29

After turning on the telly, I have to his  pick up the Sky Remote Controller.... and hit the following buttons to get the Sky Box on.

TV

Help

TV

Sky

What the hell is all that about?  It's not just my telly... that's what the instructions said when I got it about 4 years ago.   Don't know if it's the same for everyone nowadays... but I've no idea why they make the remote so obscure and complicated.  Explaining it to the mother in law is like trying to teach here chinese.

kittenkat    pirate
25/02/2013 at 06:16

I still don't know how to turn on all the tv stuff, the kids do that for me.

I also think they could have done something better with retractable pencils by now. (The people who design them, not my kids)

25/02/2013 at 10:56
kittenkat wrote (see)

Here's a question, why are toasters vertical rather than horizontal?

I've seen horizontal toasters in hotels, bread goes in one side and it's got a mini conveyer belt that moves it through the toaster and pushes it out the other end.

see)

After turning on the telly, I have to his  pick up the Sky Remote Controller.... and hit the following buttons to get the Sky Box on.

TV

Help

TV

Sky

What the hell is all that about?  It's not just my telly... that's what the instructions said when I got it about 4 years ago.   Don't know if it's the same for everyone nowadays... but I've no idea why they make the remote so obscure and complicated.  Explaining it to the mother in law is like trying to teach here chinese.

That's incorrect. To turn the Sky box on just hit the 'Sky' button or the power button.

25/02/2013 at 11:46

Apparently, this computamabob I have is supposed to make me more efficient, enabling me to be more productive during the working day.

I'm not quite sure where exactly the design fault is...

25/02/2013 at 16:54

Edited: 25/02/2013 at 16:54
25/02/2013 at 17:13
Eggyh73 wrote (see)
Run Wales wrote (see)

TV

Help

TV

Sky

That's incorrect. To turn the Sky box on just hit the 'Sky' button or the power button.

not incorrect.

25/02/2013 at 17:15

@Eggy and Run wales.

RunWales, all you need to do to turn the skybox itself on is to press the sky button - so Eggy is right there.

BUT to get the picture from the sky boxto show on the TV, you may then need to press TV - and then help until the TV is showing the correct signal, and then press SKY again to control the skybox.

So you're both right, but talking at cross purposes.

25/02/2013 at 17:18

Anyone remember the Young Ones episode where they manage to make toast in the VCR, cos they followed the wrong instructions to fix it?  So technically, that was a horizontal-slotted toaster.  And I've never seen my brother laugh so much before or since.  I think he fell off the sofa.

25/02/2013 at 17:20

Look away now if you're squeamish about poo.

Not to lower the tone, but the toilets at my work are terrible. The pan is contoured in such a way that the poo inevitably hits a bit of the pan that the water jumps over when you flush- so it never flushes away properly. I can't believe anyone could design anything so poorly for its primary purpose.

They're very elegant but utterly rubbish.

25/02/2013 at 17:28

you have to lift the on switch our kettle on. It's position means that if there is a plate/ saucer next to the kettle it is possible to turn it on by accident and it will not turn off because the switch is held in the up positiobn.

25/02/2013 at 19:34

so the kettle just happened did it? who bought it?

25/02/2013 at 19:54

Im impressed musketeer has cup and saucers

25/02/2013 at 20:10
Rob Walker 12 wrote (see)

Not to lower the tone, but the toilets at my work are terrible. The pan is contoured in such a way that the poo inevitably hits a bit of the pan that the water jumps over when you flush- so it never flushes away properly. I can't believe anyone could design anything so poorly for its primary purpose.

In Austria they eat so much pork that the toilets are designed so that you can inspect the faeces for signs of tape worm, before flushing.

kittenkat    pirate
25/02/2013 at 20:12
PhilPub wrote (see)

Anyone remember the Young Ones episode where they manage to make toast in the VCR, cos they followed the wrong instructions to fix it?  So technically, that was a horizontal-slotted toaster.  And I've never seen my brother laugh so much before or since.  I think he fell off the sofa.

I used to love the Young Ones and Girls on Top.

25/02/2013 at 20:15

Blimey Canute how does that work? Is there a magnifying glass attachment or what?

25/02/2013 at 20:32

I know Rob, the mind boggles!

kittenkat    pirate
25/02/2013 at 20:35
Canute wrote (see)
Rob Walker 12 wrote (see)

In Austria they eat so much pork that the toilets are designed so that you can inspect the faeces for signs of tape worm, before flushing.

That's fucking grim. I had a tape worm when I was a kid on the potty, my mum took it to the doctor in a jam jar. Weirdly she had put water in the jar, so it was still alive. Surely a dead tape worm is still a tape worm?

21 to 40 of 60 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.