Design faults in everyday objects.

41 to 47 of 47 messages
28/02/2013 at 12:00
goldbeetle wrote (see)

Im impressed musketeer has cup and saucers

Of course we have got saucers - what else would we drink from?

28/02/2013 at 20:29
Tom77 wrote (see)

Speaking of watches...

Why do most watches (men's analogue ones anyway) seem to come with a bunch of tiny dials set into the watch face? Seems like you'd struggle to read them, even if you knew what they were for.

i'm not a fan of chronograph either (used to be), but you dont actually need to read them on the fly, its a stop watch of sorts, my breitling has chrono but i'm selling it to buy a nicer clean faced omega, 

03/03/2013 at 16:23

Car wheel nuts, on one side of your car the momentum tightens them on the other it can potentially loosen them

03/03/2013 at 16:39

The Caps Lock key on this keyboard is in the wrong place and I keep hitting it when I want Shift instead.

19/10/2013 at 14:16

I have a Timex Ironman Sleek150-lap Tapscreen watch. Cost £100 three years ago. The one year warranty is specific about what is and is not included. The strap is not included but if a new one is required Timex may charge the customer.

Two weeks ago I noticed that the plastic wrist strap was partially torn from the edge to one of the holes for the buckle. The jeweller sent it to Timex who said it could not be repaired but Timex would sell me a new one for £20 off the current price for same model. I said no thanks.

Apparently the reason that it cannot be repaired is that it is a strap moulded around the watch face. To my mind that contradicts the warranty specific to the watch which states a new strap would be at the customer's expense. However many "sports watches" nowadays have moulded straps, surely the watch does not become obsolete for want of a new strap?

It does cross my mind that a new strap and labour may cost as much as a new watch. If so, that in itself would be a poor design for any watch or suggest that the watch is cheap.

I may try melting the plastic to repair the tear and let it go once the battery runs out.

21/10/2013 at 18:59

Cashpoints. They're always busy thanking the previous customer. It's a bit of a waste of time, as the previous customer has already gone. It just means that the next person has to waste time waiting to put their card in the slot.

21/10/2013 at 20:16

RW forums

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 47 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.