Did you share a room with a sibling when you were growing up?

Did the experience scar you for life?

21 to 33 of 33 messages
22/10/2008 at 22:22

Spent nearly three years living in a static caravan with the wife and our three kids while I built my house.

Walls were paper thin and our bed was about 3' 6" wide. Cosy you could call it!

23/10/2008 at 14:54
I should mention that I got along fine with my siblings in adult life!
Also: our Mum believed in putting us all together to get all the childhood diseases like mumps, measles, chicken pox, etc. at the same time so they'd be over and done with.
Edited: 23/10/2008 at 14:56
seren nos    pirate
23/10/2008 at 15:02

I had to share a bedroom for years with my sister 3 years older than me. i hated very minute of it. the only time she was ever nice was when i had sweets. then she used to play doctors and patient with me and I had to feed her all my sweets as tablets. after the sweets had gone the game stopped. it took me years to suss her out.

I converted the attic in my house so my boys could each have their own bedroom.

I get on ok with my sister now but thats probably becasue we live 200 miles apart

23/10/2008 at 15:14

Before she got lumbered with having to share with me, my sister, who is 5 years older, used to be quite cruel.

She knew I was scared of the dark, and would creep up the stairs, making just enough noise so that I'd know someon (or something.....) was coming. 

I'd lie terrified in bed calling out "Mum, Dad, Anne, is that you??"  She would say nothing....

Once, she even hid under my bed before I went to bed, then lay there and started making scratching noises once the light was off.

We do get on now, though.  I see her maybe three or four times a year

23/10/2008 at 16:17

Seren Nis- likewise, she's several hundred years away!

Wilkie- once, when my sister and I shared and my borther had his own room, we suddenly heard a very loud "boo" noise just when we had dropped off to sleep, it scared the life out of us. Turned out he had recorded the noise on a cassette somewhere towards the end of the tape, and put the recorder under my sister's bed...

What I hated most about growing up: I had to be in bed by 8pm until I was 15, even when I had my own room

Edited: 23/10/2008 at 16:18
LIVERBIRD    pirate
23/10/2008 at 16:38
moomoo wrote (see)

Seren Nis- likewise, she's several hundred years away!

You got a time machine Moomoo?

Could I borrow it to go back to the 80's?

23/10/2008 at 16:46
Liverbird- the event in question happened in the 70's! You're welcome to borrow my time machine
I still use cassettes and proud of it!
LIVERBIRD    pirate
23/10/2008 at 16:48
My goodness - I don't even use CD's now.......
23/10/2008 at 16:49
I have in the meantime made the switch to CDs- at this rate, I'll switch to downloading in 2020
23/10/2008 at 16:55
I shared with my sister right up until I left home.  I didn't mind much when we were older, but I hated it when she was little because she had a bad habit of chucking up in her bed.  Mum would then put her in my bed to breathe sick breath all over me while Mum changed the sheets.
23/10/2008 at 16:57
That's revolting, slo sho!
23/10/2008 at 16:57

There's a cd by Natalie Imbruglia which has a long gap between the penultimate song and the last one - several minutes.

I always forget, and it always makes me jump when after a few minutes of silence the last song starts.

I don't see myself getting to downloading that soon, moomoo.

And I still use a video recorder  

23/10/2008 at 16:59
Wilkie- I also still use a video recorder, I have so many videos it's not worth buying them again as CDs!
Edited: 23/10/2008 at 17:00

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.