Djokovic to win

That's my prediction

21 to 40 of 61 messages
08/07/2013 at 10:24

Arguably Andy Murray decided "to get fit" when he was in the world's top rankings, yesterday much was being made of the improvement in his game since he made the decision. Becker commenting that a few years ago Murray was "a talented player" but unfit and Barker saying that you could see his dedication to improving his game in the way he's transformed his body shape.

Anyway, well done Murray  I was also impressed with Djokovic's gracious speech at the end of the match.

Edited: 08/07/2013 at 10:26
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
08/07/2013 at 10:47

It's always stressed when talking about the 77 years that it's that long since Britain had a MALE winner.

It's seems pretty well forgotten that actually Sue Barker won a Grand Slam title too, the French Open in 1976 and reached #3 in the world rankings.

Edited: 08/07/2013 at 10:49
08/07/2013 at 11:27

Its a whole one year since Britain had a MALE winner - Jonathan Marray in the mens doubles
just awaiting the calls for a Murray knighthood and he's already a shoo-in for SPotY

08/07/2013 at 16:45

You didn't have to wait long Dustin.  Cameron is already banging on about it.  

08/07/2013 at 16:48

He's having tea at Number 10 right about now...

08/07/2013 at 16:52

Mr Cameron said Murray's win had "lifted the spirits of the whole country"

So, do we all feel "lifted"?

08/07/2013 at 19:53

sure yeah

08/07/2013 at 23:29
Cinders wrote (see)

Mr Cameron said Murray's win had "lifted the spirits of the whole country"

So, do we all feel "lifted"?

Definitely.

Murray's achievement... the way he's battled. The way he's overcome repeated defeats, with absolute hard work and determination...  and to win a second major (especially our home tournament), in a gladiatorial one-on-one sport.... 

...if you can't be inspired by that, then I find it hard to think what would lift your spirits.

09/07/2013 at 07:59

Edited: 09/07/2013 at 08:01
09/07/2013 at 08:01

Well said RW - you need to get over to the Guardian website, there are some really miserable feckers over there that are determined to harsh the mellow.

09/07/2013 at 08:03

Bum, edit fail.

I think he's a great tennis player and it was a fab match.  Just saying that there are lots of our sports people doing great right now, Froome for example.

09/07/2013 at 12:16
Screamapillar wrote (see)

Well said RW - you need to get over to the Guardian website, there are some really miserable feckers over there that are determined to harsh the mellow.

There's a surprise!

09/07/2013 at 13:44

I've not been on the Guardian... but if they're slating Cameron for suggesting a knighthood, I agree with them.

One day, he'll probably be a good candidate. But I really disagree with people like Murray and Chris Hoy and Bradly Wiggins being knighted.

They need to do years of putting something back to society... charitable work or work with youngsters in their fields.  Because, for all that they are great role-models, they have largely only been putting the effort in for 'selfish' reasons up to now. 

Honour them? Yes.  But OBE is enough at this stage.

09/07/2013 at 14:23

Andy Murray already has an OBE though so what next?

09/07/2013 at 14:26

another major?

09/07/2013 at 15:19
Run Wales wrote (see)

I've not been on the Guardian... but if they're slating Cameron for suggesting a knighthood, I agree with them.

One day, he'll probably be a good candidate. But I really disagree with people like Murray and Chris Hoy and Bradly Wiggins being knighted.

They need to do years of putting something back to society... charitable work or work with youngsters in their fields.  Because, for all that they are great role-models, they have largely only been putting the effort in for 'selfish' reasons up to now. 

Honour them? Yes.  But OBE is enough at this stage.

i disagree with it as well but the precedent has been set with a few examples you could argue are less deserving so it would look like a huge snub to Murray if he is not knighted.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
09/07/2013 at 15:25

Murray is so ungraciuos when he loses..........now he has learnt how to win he should learn from many of the others  to learn how to lose .........without that he should never be knighted.

I didnt realise its been 77 years since 1977...........my maths skills must be crap

09/07/2013 at 15:30

seren nos - that is the single saddest post I have seen in 8 years on this site.

09/07/2013 at 15:52

apart from the fact I don't think he is particularly ungracious in defeat I don't get the gracious loser = knighthood equation.

SAF got one.

09/07/2013 at 15:52

77 years since Fred Perry won.  1977 was Virginia Wade winning.

21 to 40 of 61 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.