Do we work too much?

Britain seems depressed.

1 to 20 of 26 messages
25/05/2007 at 11:35
stressed......

Of course I'm stressed!
25/05/2007 at 11:36
I agree KK. But then it gives us a good excuse to let off steam at the socials!
25/05/2007 at 11:39
Yes. However, after ten years of working all the hours god sends in a busy environment without any real quality time off, with the exception of two weeks somewhere sunny once or twice a year, I am now working nine to five, every weekend, evening, and bank holiday off.

I am also bored sh!tless and have s@d all cash.

Theres no pleasing some people obviously.....
25/05/2007 at 12:10
I don't personally but i do see so many stressed out coz of work -giving no time for other things. That is as depressing as not doing any work. Perhaps if we learned more about ourselves and what really matters in life, society would be a less depressed place.Too much emphasis on "doing" rather than being.
25/05/2007 at 12:11
People who aren't working at all seem to be a great deal less contented than those of us who are.
25/05/2007 at 12:12
mmm V'rap but maybe not those who are over-working to the point of little else.
Oh yes...i work FAR too much....
sometimes i wonder how i manage to fit it all in :-)
The Hoose, wise words indeed, nice.
25/05/2007 at 12:14
The right amount of stress is important. I need a bit of stress to make me tick.

I hate a quiet day. Now that is stressful!

My husband often looks at me in the evening and can see I'm going stir crazy if I'm sitting around - I like to be 'doing'.
25/05/2007 at 12:14
Yeah..im a 'doing' person too
25/05/2007 at 12:15
yeah I'd agree with that Mrs P - I need some stresss or I get bored, too much for a long period can get me very down - need to have life outside of work I think.

I think too far either way can be bad
25/05/2007 at 12:16
nowt wrong with doing per se - however a strong obligation to do do do all the time at the expense of your own welfare aint good at all.
25/05/2007 at 12:20
amen to that Hoose
25/05/2007 at 12:26
KK - Yes i agree, its not been a year yet since i stopped working full time plus extra developing and stuff. I love my life now....just Hubby doing 9 til 4 5 days a week and me here to be with the kids and do my stuff. It works so well with my illness not to be stressed!
25/05/2007 at 12:30
I think there's a difference between 'pressure' and 'stress.'

Pressure can be a good motivating force, but stress comes at the point where the pressure becomes unbearable or damaging to health.

When I find I'm spending too long at work, I remember what someone once told me; "Nobody on their deathbed ever says, 'I wish I'd spent more time at work.'"

I then pack up my stuff and go home.

I agree though - we do allow work to affect our health and we shouldn't.
25/05/2007 at 12:31
'I wish I'd spent more time at work.'"
That made me chuckle
25/05/2007 at 12:35
Octopus - there are an awful lot of people who are stressed by things outside of work.

I totally agree about a balance and everyone is individual. I just think it's too easy to blame work.

25/05/2007 at 12:36
I enjoy being busy at work, and I'm happy to work on a bit to get things finished to my satisfaction.

But it really pees me off when other people who work here (some of whom get paid a lot more than me) complain of being overworked, but swan out at 4:45, have long lunches, and expect you to drop everything and help them when they have a deadline to meet.

However, my boss used to work for a big blue chip in the US, and only got 2 weeks leave a year (unpaid, I think) and being off sick was not a good career move. We get 39 days paid leave a year, and have pretty good sick benefits etc, so are pretty well off really.
25/05/2007 at 12:45
KK-Yes my job is pointless. I sit here day in day out with next to nothing to do. Its soul destroying actually. And doing nothing leads to a total lack of motivation which is starting to affect my whole life. I takes me till wednesday to get my @rse into gear to do anything, such as making an appointment or doing something that needs doing in the house. Even stuff like texting my mate back or whatever seems like a chore.

So Ive been in both positions-worked a great job but had no life really, and now doing a cr@p job with loads of time off.

As I said theres no pleasing some people;-)
25/05/2007 at 12:47
And I might add I had so little to do yesterday I actually fell asleep in my chair reading my book.

And I also know I should be grateful to have a job. I know from my bro that not working and not being able to get a job is desperate.
1 to 20 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.