Do you enjoy your job?

21 to 39 of 39 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
11/01/2013 at 18:14

In a word - no. I used to love my job until the last couple of years. Now we are all under constant pressure to meet impossibly short timelines and if we don't, we have to explain why not to our Director, which is counter-productive because it takes time away from actually doing the work. Also, we used to have two separate sections each carrying out one specialty each - now everyone in both sections is supposed to do all of it. Tell me how a person is supposed to become an expert overnight in a job that takes approx 4 years to learn?  Definitely not just by giving me a new job description that says I'm an expert in both fields! I never understood until now why some people looked forward to retirement but I certainly do today.

11/01/2013 at 18:29
Bionic Ironwolf wrote (see)

In a word - no. I used to love my job until the last couple of years. Now we are all under constant pressure to meet impossibly short timelines and if we don't, we have to explain why not to our Director, which is counter-productive because it takes time away from actually doing the work. Also, we used to have two separate sections each carrying out one specialty each - now everyone in both sections is supposed to do all of it. Tell me how a person is supposed to become an expert overnight in a job that takes approx 4 years to learn?  Definitely not just by giving me a new job description that says I'm an expert in both fields! I never understood until now why some people looked forward to retirement but I certainly do today.

It seems that some people (in management) learn that they can take all sorts of liberties and get away with it.

They can ask their subordinates to jump through hoops of fire. And they do.

The boss says jump! and they jump!

My parents were jumpers, my brother and sister are jumpers. 

I grew out of it and own my own life. Employment was for me was just serving out a sentence. I got what I needed out of it. 

Work for someone else. I'd rather be dead.

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 18:30
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
11/01/2013 at 20:18

Lucky you. I have less than two years to retirement so I'm stuck - I need that pension money and the life insurance payout that goes along with it. Then I can do whatever I want - or nothing if I feel like it.

14/01/2013 at 01:17

You only pass this way the once. You spend half of your waking hours at work.

Seek out a job that you get some sort of buzz out of.

If it is known you are very good at what you do then there is less pressure to be polite to levels above as what you do is the important bit.

Do not be overly tempted to seek promotion  - if you end up in a position you are not happy with then you will just waste the extra money to make yourself feel better.

The more carefull you are  with your earnings the sooner you will be able to get to the stage of 24 / 7 you time.

09/04/2013 at 19:36

mine is dry, dry and very dry but the pay is pretty good so can't complain.

09/04/2013 at 19:58

FFS I must have been out of my bloody mind on 11/1. 

09/04/2013 at 21:07

Not anymore. Not after the job evaluation, pay cut, restructure, more work... I'm looking for another one.

09/04/2013 at 21:51

Unfortunately my last contract ended and I was up against the wire, despite having had 7 interviews and had to take something at a lower level + a drop in salary just to stay employed.  I'm not good at interviews under pressure, but sailed through the interview for the short-term contract because I wasn't that fussed at the time.

I need to move on because my new line manager is doing the same as my last job and won't give any of her work to me.  I'm wondering if she wants to keep me down as I did her job in my last role.   Also, it's not good to stay downgraded and I've got a new mortgage and am back to struggling again.

09/04/2013 at 22:08

I love my job I find it fun and engaging, the only slight downside is I have to travel quite a bit and I miss my little house and snuggles.

09/04/2013 at 22:18
My boss is a nob. Our products are shit and I have to sell them. So, 'no'.
However, I would have to travel to London to earn what I earn now and I have a family to support.

Things could be worse. I could be North Korean.
09/04/2013 at 22:29

I'm glad I'm out of it. The modern working environment would kill me.

09/04/2013 at 22:37
Been teaching 20 years and still really enjoy it. The Govt are giving us a lot of (undeserved) shit at the moment which is not helpful. For the past five years I've been working with boys with severe behavioural difficulties so it us a challenge but it us a vocation to me and I sometimes feel like I'm making a 'difference'.
09/04/2013 at 23:49

I am now unemployed, or not in employment. That's good for me at the moment. Hope to go to college in September. Don't really care what I study I just want to study something as I quite enjoy it. I guess I will be on my own by then. It will be important for me to do something that I get something out of. It's a double edged sword not needing to work. 

10/04/2013 at 08:57

I'm a primary teacher and I love my job. It's challenging and at times exhausting but exceptionally rewarding. Children amaze me on a daily basis. 

10/04/2013 at 09:18

My job gives me a reasonable balance.  I work from home most days, I see customers around the north other days - rarely more than 3 hours drive away.  It pays pretty well and gives me enough money to live well, have a few holidays a year and enjoy some luxuries.  It doesn't, though, make me anywhere close to being rich.  The work itself - selling IT solutions to government bodies - is not exactly what excites me, gets my manly juices all of a bubble.  It's ok, I get to chat a lot - i'm good at that - but the technology is frankly, boring.

All said, I see it as a means to and end.  It's a decent job working for decent people and allows me to have a nice, comfortable life outside.  A life i'm fond of.  I'm 34 now and in maybe 1-3 years time, i'll leave it ans start my own business up.  This job will help me get there.  When I consider all that - how can I really comaplain?  I can't.

10/04/2013 at 10:18

I am really lucky with my job- I am employed full time, but as a full-time student doing my professional training so I have a very varied week as it is 3 days vocational placement and 2 days attending university/ doing research/ doing exams. I also get the perks of student discount and council tax discount

The downsides are that I am being constantly assessed and often have to write essays/ revise at weekends to meet the deadlines and I change placements every 6 months so as soon as I get to grips with something I move on (plus I am at the mercy of someone else deciding what my commute will be/ whether I'll be working somewhere I enjoy). 

10/04/2013 at 10:22

Love job. More hard work than ever envisaged. It is 24 hours 7 days a week . Have some really hard moments but some really fulfilling moments too. Don't get paid much but thats not what its all about

10/04/2013 at 10:53

Let's hope he's on about parenting otherwise he should seriosuly look at his work life balance.

10/04/2013 at 12:07

You would be surprised how much Clergy actually do  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.