Do you enjoy your job?

21 to 40 of 48 messages
11/01/2013 at 14:12

i like because i start early, finish early and i have a low level of responsibility.

i don't like it because it has no future.

11/01/2013 at 14:51

Don't actively love it but it's pretty cushy for the pay. I can organise my own work as I wish and don't have responsibility for anyone else but myself.

11/01/2013 at 14:59

Don't hate it, don't love it. If I was financially wealthy enough not to have to do it I wouldn't.

11/01/2013 at 16:45

I'm lucky enough to have been in the same job for the last 8 years, it's progressed in that time as the company has grown.

I do enjoy it, I don't love and their are times when I don't enjoy it but overall it's a good job and I'm lucky to have it.

I do admit being legally allowed to use a cattle prod would improve things considerably, well for me anyway.

kittenkat    pirate
11/01/2013 at 16:54

I got a new full time position in the middle of October, the first full time post since before the kids were born (eldest is 10 now, I've worked part time for the last 10 years).

People in my dept ask me how I cope with the stress of it as they perceive it as a stressful full on job.

However compared with teaching and lecturing (my former career), it's not stressful at all. But watching my assistant who hasn't come from my background, I can see how some people would find it stressful.

I enjoy the challenges of it and problem solving under pressure. Also my job is in a sector that is only going to grow and get bigger, and I want to take the bull by the horns and own it.

What I don't like and DO find stressful is juggling childcare, hubby's shift pattern etc... However D has been wonderful in taking that away from me and sorting out the childcare.

11/01/2013 at 17:33

Yes Even when it gets ultra busy and stressful, it's a good kind of stress.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
11/01/2013 at 18:14

In a word - no. I used to love my job until the last couple of years. Now we are all under constant pressure to meet impossibly short timelines and if we don't, we have to explain why not to our Director, which is counter-productive because it takes time away from actually doing the work. Also, we used to have two separate sections each carrying out one specialty each - now everyone in both sections is supposed to do all of it. Tell me how a person is supposed to become an expert overnight in a job that takes approx 4 years to learn?  Definitely not just by giving me a new job description that says I'm an expert in both fields! I never understood until now why some people looked forward to retirement but I certainly do today.

kittenkat    pirate
11/01/2013 at 18:26

Sorry to hear that Iw

11/01/2013 at 18:29
Bionic Ironwolf wrote (see)

In a word - no. I used to love my job until the last couple of years. Now we are all under constant pressure to meet impossibly short timelines and if we don't, we have to explain why not to our Director, which is counter-productive because it takes time away from actually doing the work. Also, we used to have two separate sections each carrying out one specialty each - now everyone in both sections is supposed to do all of it. Tell me how a person is supposed to become an expert overnight in a job that takes approx 4 years to learn?  Definitely not just by giving me a new job description that says I'm an expert in both fields! I never understood until now why some people looked forward to retirement but I certainly do today.

It seems that some people (in management) learn that they can take all sorts of liberties and get away with it.

They can ask their subordinates to jump through hoops of fire. And they do.

The boss says jump! and they jump!

My parents were jumpers, my brother and sister are jumpers. 

I grew out of it and own my own life. Employment was for me was just serving out a sentence. I got what I needed out of it. 

Work for someone else. I'd rather be dead.

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 18:30
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
11/01/2013 at 20:18

Lucky you. I have less than two years to retirement so I'm stuck - I need that pension money and the life insurance payout that goes along with it. Then I can do whatever I want - or nothing if I feel like it.

14/01/2013 at 01:17

You only pass this way the once. You spend half of your waking hours at work.

Seek out a job that you get some sort of buzz out of.

If it is known you are very good at what you do then there is less pressure to be polite to levels above as what you do is the important bit.

Do not be overly tempted to seek promotion  - if you end up in a position you are not happy with then you will just waste the extra money to make yourself feel better.

The more carefull you are  with your earnings the sooner you will be able to get to the stage of 24 / 7 you time.

09/04/2013 at 19:36

mine is dry, dry and very dry but the pay is pretty good so can't complain.

09/04/2013 at 19:58

FFS I must have been out of my bloody mind on 11/1. 

09/04/2013 at 21:07

Not anymore. Not after the job evaluation, pay cut, restructure, more work... I'm looking for another one.

09/04/2013 at 21:51

Unfortunately my last contract ended and I was up against the wire, despite having had 7 interviews and had to take something at a lower level + a drop in salary just to stay employed.  I'm not good at interviews under pressure, but sailed through the interview for the short-term contract because I wasn't that fussed at the time.

I need to move on because my new line manager is doing the same as my last job and won't give any of her work to me.  I'm wondering if she wants to keep me down as I did her job in my last role.   Also, it's not good to stay downgraded and I've got a new mortgage and am back to struggling again.

09/04/2013 at 22:08

I love my job I find it fun and engaging, the only slight downside is I have to travel quite a bit and I miss my little house and snuggles.

09/04/2013 at 22:18
My boss is a nob. Our products are shit and I have to sell them. So, 'no'.
However, I would have to travel to London to earn what I earn now and I have a family to support.

Things could be worse. I could be North Korean.
09/04/2013 at 22:29

I'm glad I'm out of it. The modern working environment would kill me.

09/04/2013 at 22:37
Been teaching 20 years and still really enjoy it. The Govt are giving us a lot of (undeserved) shit at the moment which is not helpful. For the past five years I've been working with boys with severe behavioural difficulties so it us a challenge but it us a vocation to me and I sometimes feel like I'm making a 'difference'.
09/04/2013 at 23:49

I am now unemployed, or not in employment. That's good for me at the moment. Hope to go to college in September. Don't really care what I study I just want to study something as I quite enjoy it. I guess I will be on my own by then. It will be important for me to do something that I get something out of. It's a double edged sword not needing to work. 

21 to 40 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.