Do you feel uncomfortable or intimidated on this forum?

121 to 132 of 132 messages
11/03/2013 at 22:15

Runz,

The medium is both immediate, transient and forgettable. Also a hotbed of mistakes and inaccuracies.

Becomes like water off a ducks back after a while.

However, I have noticed among all the nonsense that anything of real value is actually taken notice of.

Unless of course the poster thinks he/she knows it all.

The fact that they take some stick doesn't mean what they have said is automatically ignored.

11/03/2013 at 22:32

That makes sense!

There seems to be an art to not coming over as a know it all.

I think i will have to work on that because running has been a part of my life and career since 1979 and i can run away with myself when all that is really happening is me wanting to share my passion and experience.

Like i said before I've come onto to the forums for years on and off without posting and this has informed me in many ways especially off newbies.

I'am aware of the twats/bully's on here so know not to become part of their weird world.

I really appreciate the heads up in fact not a bad guide for life

kittenkat    pirate
12/03/2013 at 06:38

A know it all about what? Are you guys specifically talking about running? There's a whole heap of shit running advice offered on here, but I think mostly it's offered in good faith?

kittenkat    pirate
12/03/2013 at 06:51

There is good advice too, just to balance the equation, but you have to recognise it to utilise it.

12/03/2013 at 07:36
I've been using RW website/forum for years without posting and your right KK most of it is poor,given in good faith though? How could anyone ever know that?

People are status driven and will latch onto who they see as strong because their weak that's why people create factions! groups within groups!
I've been reading the forums for years and know who to not take seriously.

You are right about good advice,there is enough on here to keep coming back.
Edited: 12/03/2013 at 07:37
12/03/2013 at 10:14

I haven't really been using this site for a very long time but as in life, some people appear to be a lot warmer than others. I don't really get offended easily which is probably a good job with some of the stuff that gets posted. I feel sorry for people who must be so angry in life that they feel like venting off all this negative stuff from behind a keyboard or whatever. I don't find it intimidating, I don't really understand the motivation for some of it. Self loathing, I don't know, I have no desire to explore other people's behavioural issues. Surely it's nice to be nice?

12/03/2013 at 11:01

Some posters are heavily into banter.

It must be a thing from football or something.

They make out its just harmless, and that teasing and ribbing is just a bit of fun. But I really wouldn't mind knowing what positives are to be gained from such behavior.

My experience of watching 'banter' is seeing the 'discussion' develop into a fight.

I refuse to take part on account of not being allowed by society to take the interaction to its logical conclusion.

12/03/2013 at 11:06
RicF wrote (see)

Some posters are heavily into banter.

They make out its just harmless, and that teasing and ribbing is just a bit of fun. But I really wouldn't mind knowing what positives are to be gained from such behavior.

My experience of watching 'banter' is seeing the 'discussion' develop into a fight.

But Im only joking RicF! You have to not take me too seriously!

12/03/2013 at 11:51

I don't mean you DF.

My observation is that the 'banterer's are itching to really get stuck in but are constrained to some extent.

30 years ago while working in a 'roadworks' environment, some banter got out of hand with some rather rough types.

I was just a bystander until a large piece of mud hit me en route to its intended target.

The thrower had been having marital problems so he wasn't too happy when I said, "I'm not surprised your missus ran off with that drug dealer Stevie, you're f...g nuts!"

That got me a close call with a spade after being stamped in the chest.

Banter.

12/03/2013 at 11:55

So the lesson there Ric is to move into IT like I did where you mix with a better class of work colleagues

12/03/2013 at 12:25
Demon Barber wrote (see)

I haven't really been using this site for a very long time but as in life, some people appear to be a lot warmer than others. I don't really get offended easily which is probably a good job with some of the stuff that gets posted. I feel sorry for people who must be so angry in life that they feel like venting off all this negative stuff from behind a keyboard or whatever. I don't find it intimidating, I don't really understand the motivation for some of it. Self loathing, I don't know, I have no desire to explore other people's behavioural issues. Surely it's nice to be nice?

Well said!

20/07/2013 at 17:15

Hello To Everyone!

I'm a brand new member of this site today and looking forward to getting to know some new people and hopefully make some friends along the way.

This conversation did catch my attention. Before I joined I looked around the site and the forums. As a potential member I must say that there are a number of people on the site who don't seem to be friendly at all. I thought that it may just be that I'm new but some of the language used and the cruel comments seem a little over the top. I hope people take this as constructive feedback.

I have so many questions to ask on other things now so I will venture out now into the forum. Please be nice to me

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
121 to 132 of 132 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.