Do you have lots of 'stuff' around your house..?

or are you 'minimalist'?

21 to 26 of 26 messages
24/12/2012 at 12:26
I've just cleaned out two rooms in my parents house and was amazed at how much stuff had been accumulated. I'm currently going through a ruthless phase at my own home and I'm either free-cycling or dumping the rest of it. I was amazed at how many magazines and books that i had kept that i had no recollection of. The only slight twinge for me comes to photos. I love looking through them but can't find anywhere to store them. Especially as they're of family - I don't want to simply toss them in the garbage.

As for shoes - I had a huge clear out 6 months ago with the promise that I'd not buy a new pair until I'd thrown out an old pair and I'm doing pretty well on that. Clothes was even worse. Hubby bet me that I could go a whole month without having to wear the same piece of clothing again.... I did it.... With clothes left over *blush*.... So that'll be the next thing to go through.

It's not that I'm a horder... I just seem to buy a lot of crap thinking it'll be useful!
24/12/2012 at 12:29

A lot of my stuff in our house is actually a result of family recycling.  When my parents  wanted new furniture they would donate it to me or my brothers whether we wanted it or not.  A bitter family row was caused when one brother tried to get rid of a totally unsuitable wardrobe that had been foisted on him.  'im indoors and I also have mounds of clothes given to us by his sister from other family members, again given because they wanted new things.  Result - we have the clutter they have the minimalism.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
24/12/2012 at 15:18

This house is full of crap. But you have to look for it. Nothing is on display. I like the minimal look.

24/12/2012 at 21:30
George Carlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

Sorry you will have to copy
and paste this link but its worth it top sketch
27/12/2012 at 08:34

Way too much stuff. 

Some of it is a hangover from moving from a flat with lots of cupboards to a house with only one - there's stuff that has been in the garage since we moved in and never seen the light of day. We don't have a car so it isn't that easy to get rid of stuff.

I do regularly send things to charity but when I do the OH seems to replace it, especially books and DVDs. Still, now we both have Kindles and iPods with an iPod dock on the way I'm hoping we can start to reverse the process.

Trouble is we need an electrical inspection and some rewiring. I just dread to think how much crap we'll have to move to get it done.

27/12/2012 at 08:57

both, my living room and kitchen are very "homely" i have lots of pictures on the walls, furniture etc, but "my room" which is my gym/office is like an operating theatre, i'm far too ocd about things in there, i think its the ex military in me, even if my keys are on the desk it bugs me and i have to put them away, but its only that room, for some reason the rest of the house i actually prefer it to look "lived in" 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.